• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scale won't zero?

upjeeper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2005
Madison, WI
I received a scale with my RCBS rockchucker that seemed to work fine for a while, now all of the sudden it will not zero. It wasn't dropped or anything, I honestly have no clue why it's acting up.

Any advice?

I think it's a model 505

Re: Scale won't zero?

Level surface and make sure that the empty pan is on the scale.
Sometimes people get frustrated and forget to put the pan on the scale.

I got a RCBS scale with my kit. And when It doesnt zero I just counter the weight and write it down on a piece of paper and add that number to the overall weight to take into account for the extra weight I added to zero. Kinda the lazy way to zero it I guess.

Thanks guys. I have made sure it’s level and the pan is there.
The RCBS website says no warranty work without a receipt but the gentleman I spoke with at RCBS when I called today said no worries. He gave me a authorization number and told me to send it to the repair place and it’ll be fixed for me.
The gentleman didn’t give his name, but I made sure to thank him about 9 times.

So far I’m quite happy with the service I’ve received!!

I hate my 5-0-5 with a passion. I don't even use it as I have a CM1500. I tried everything to get it consistent but it never was.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: upjeeper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys. I have made sure it’s level and the pan is there.
The RCBS website says no warranty work without a receipt but the gentleman I spoke with at RCBS when I called today said no worries. He gave me a authorization number and told me to send it to the repair place and it’ll be fixed for me.
The gentleman didn’t give his name, but I made sure to thank him about 9 times.

So far I’m quite happy with the service I’ve received!!
</div></div>

RCBS is always right on the money when it comes to helping you out!

If you take the pan apart that hangs from the scale, there are a few (different sized) pieces of lead shot in there. (Just remove the screw in the middle and it comes apart).

I had the same problem with my 5-0-5, so I just took a couple of the smallest pieces of shot out of the pan and that did the trick for me.

I've got a set of 10-10's I've had over 35 years and they have never missed a lick....They have however been put on the mantle since acquiring my Charge Masters...I used them for a while double checking loads,but having never found a reason to adjust a load they have been cleaned and put in a place of honor...I have adjusted the weights in the pan to run the scales more level..

I had the same scale do the same thing after being OK for 20+ years. Called RCBS and did what Volatile said above.

Add or remove weight to the "pan."

CT

I too called RCBS and told them about roughly the same problem I had.An older guy there talked me thru on how to reset scale.
I still go to my LEE scale as my #1.

ok. was as easy as pulling one small piece of lead out. thanks for the advice.

any idea why it would have worked fine before then stopped working?