• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optics Scammer amongst us - “wading”

LongTatLaw

Soldier. GS Civ. Long Range Hunter
Minuteman
“Wading”

fake name used with me was John Feurt.

I’m pretty sure he’s already been reported & banned but just wanted to perhaps dropped some additional information

I used spokeo to search the number and got a middle eastern name and a Seattle address even though it’s a NY phone number. Name and potential previous address below in pics

I called his number and a middle eastern younger guy answered. I asked for the name from spokeo instead of the fake name and the younger person said he would be home in a little while and he could call me back.

that seems like some confirmation of the real name link.

Any way. I sent him $1,650 business PayPal so I’m about to find out how well their protections work. Anyone have any experience ??

Attachments

• 4E5AE7A7-3D37-40D8-BD10-B32A14813FF7.png
    4E5AE7A7-3D37-40D8-BD10-B32A14813FF7.png
    245.1 KB · Views: 834
  • F9ADD2BD-FE0C-4FCE-BBD3-7EBCCA4A8E7C.jpeg
    F9ADD2BD-FE0C-4FCE-BBD3-7EBCCA4A8E7C.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 890
  • F3DE8FFD-C082-47B1-8E8C-82C8F6FAC753.png
    F3DE8FFD-C082-47B1-8E8C-82C8F6FAC753.png
    543.2 KB · Views: 938
Damn, that sucks. Good luck with PayPal, I am less than happy with their buyer protection support when I purchased an item for my sports car from over seas.

Reactions: LongTatLaw
I would think a guy with that many likes, messages and points would be GTG? No?

With paypal if they don't provide a tracking number you win. I got sucked into a Facebook scam for a depthfinder for my boat where they provide an old tracking number and I still won. Just be patient.

Curious if Paypal will help you with an optic. I've read about other instances where Paypal said optics were considered firearms accessories and therefore not covered. Please keep us updated

Curious if Paypal will help you with an optic. I've read about other instances where Paypal said optics were considered firearms accessories and therefore not covered. Please keep us updated

that’s scary news. I thought they were fairly safe for buyers. Option two is my card / bank.

we have found a lot of info including a real person involved.

I would not freely offer paypal the information about it being a scope. Maybe call it a hunting magnifier or even possibly a spotting scope? Keep us updated ive always wondered what would happen if you actually tried to make a claim.

I have used their “item not received” protection in the past once for a Leupold scope that got lost. Think it was back in 2018...I just referred to it as an optic. It’s not like they will physically track down the package to verify, esp if it doesn’t exist, which is the point of that 4% protection in the first place. Besides, both ebay and PayPal protect you against losses on all the scopes sold on eBay.

As long as the payee is not a FFL or the memo line says “firearm” you should be fine with the Goods and Services buyer protection.

PayPal is very good on business purchases, but the second gun or gun parts is mentioned they may lock your account. So refrain from mentioning that but if he mentions it then its not good for either of you.

Case drives the point-
Everybody needs to be the forum police and demand pictures posted with hand written member name in the pictures.
Like as soon as anybody sees it.

Obviously this is a small hassle that most guys could say is an overburden, but what's the real cost? When people start to question the px and resist using it?

Diligence.. follow-though..

You guys are all cool and I still snoop on you when I'm sending money, like every time ha
🤪
Also, non-member responses to WTB, deny always no matter what.. what are the odds they found you by chance?

Money orders come with insurance I believe... unless you decide not to buy insurance..
Mods on AR15.com's exchange will collect personal information from victims of scammers, find suspects and contact local police to have these criminals brought to justice. I was talking with Wading about purchasing a scope but after mentioning that he didn't have feedback he got very weird with me.. Then I asked for timestamped photos with his username in them and then all of a sudden he needed to give the scope to his brother because of their poor relationship.. Very weird. I'm sorry that you guys lost funds. I know money orders are available with insurance.. I also know that ACH transfers are disputable with your financial institution. Id start with the PO, then your bank, and then report the incident along with any information you have available to you here to the police departments local to the address provided to you by this POS.

Case drives the point-
Everybody needs to be the forum police and demand pictures posted with hand written member name in the pictures.
Like as soon as anybody sees it.

Obviously this is a small hassle that most guys could say is an overburden, but what's the real cost? When people start to question the px and resist using it?

Diligence.. follow-though..

You guys are all cool and I still snoop on you when I'm sending money, like every time ha
🤪
Also, non-member responses to WTB, deny always no matter what.. what are the odds they found you by chance?

WTB ads draw all kinds of scammers.

I will say I got a great deal on a high dollar gun with acog from someone with one post

I did the picture with license thing tho and also googled the name and the address. Doesn’t hurt to call these people either.

The picture with personal information has become easier to falsify. Technology is on the scammers side 😁

Sorry to hear you got scammed. Hope you get all your funds back. Please update us on how this goes. When I make purchases on here where I feel value is getting high I buy with good and services. The 3% is worth the piece of mind of having PayPal back me up. Interested to see how well they protect the buyer.

Sorry that happened to you, that sucks.

Not to hijack your thread but I was looking for a rmr and found one ( on another site )and after several emails I asked for a picture of an ID with the item, which was graciously sent along with payment info. I’m paranoid when sending any amount of money so I tend to double and triple check to make sure names and addresses and emails all match up and as others had said it’s not hard in today’s technology to produce a phony ID... see the picture I Attached and hopefully you can see the issue(s).

Unfortunately there are a lot of shitbags out there that have gotten very good at convincing, procuring documents and besting people for their hard earned money.

Attachments

• 593DD668-F709-474A-A653-A6FD839613F6.jpeg
    593DD668-F709-474A-A653-A6FD839613F6.jpeg
    725.1 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ... and LongTatLaw
Unfortunately there are a lot of shitbags out there that have gotten very good at convincing, procuring documents and besting people for their hard earned money.

I

Really good fake ID there.

Good Afternoon ya'll.... I was also hit by Wading.... I purchased his Vortex Razor for $1500... I sent the money to a Thurston Bethany in Mayfield Kentucky..... low and behold there is an actual Bethany Thurston at that address... and she's on Facebook... and answers her PM's. She has confirmed with me that she received the check... she cashed the check... she sent the money through pay app (the actual name of the app) to another person. She was told these check she was receiving was for a donation to an orphanage!? apparently she never once considered this to be illegal.

I too looked at the profile... the amount of interaction on here... and felt okay... not great but okay. It passed the sniff test... tough lesson to learn

Sorry that happened to you, that sucks.

Not to hijack your thread but I was looking for a rmr and found one ( on another site )and after several emails I asked for a picture of an ID with the item, which was graciously sent along with payment info. I’m paranoid when sending any amount of money so I tend to double and triple check to make sure names and addresses and emails all match up and as others had said it’s not hard in today’s technology to produce a phony ID... see the picture I Attached and hopefully you can see the issue(s).

Good heads-up!

What orphanage? Call them. Bullshit.
ALL bullshit. These two Bethany Thurstin and Kam Cheatham (who is apparently the one that pulled her into the scam) are at the pawn level. They have both told me they have recieved money through checks in the mail... pay app... pay pal... and they forward it on to "elana pigg" $wolfmamma13edp on the pay app (actual app name) in the screen shot I have... Bethany alone looks to have sent her $12.1k so far..

they never tell me the orphanage name... just that is for the kids. trust me i have worked every angle to get them to tell me.... these pawns are clueless.

Sounds like they are in on it, they’re taking a cut or operating under false pretenses. Nobody sends that kind of money around unknowingly.

my bank gave me a tip to purchase with my credit card when using it online and even in person as opposed to a debit bank card as “Visa/MC will go to bat for you”whereas the bank only insures certain amounts and your required to do the leg work to dispute purchases. Either way, whichever card or even bank account was used you should call and report it as a fraudulent charge

If our government wasn’t so inept, corrupt and focused on harassing political enemies, these people would be found and out in prison.

Such bullshit. How much money and time was spent going after trump, the tea party, various bs firearms violations by tax payers etc while real criminals run amok

Well a small update for all to be aware of from my end of this.... Bethany Thurston (Mayfield Kentucky) and Elana D Pigg (Cathage Mississippi) work for Kam Cheatham (allegedly from Nashville Tennessee) .... not sure where this goes above him... but its definitely bigger than these three ding dongs.

For what it’s worth I was scammed for $450 for an Eotech package and I paid friends and family with my CC. Guy had lots of rep and time on here.

PayPal wouldn’t help, but my PayPal mastercard attached to my account reversed it for me and I wasn’t dinged in my PayPal account at all. I was expecting it to go negative $450 and just walk away from it.

I always use a CC now, even if I have a PayPal balance from selling.

PMs on here since he was a long time member with history on the PX. He was either hacked or said F it and decided to scam some people on his way out.
Same, PM's and email... through the [email protected] email account... like I said with the member history... and reaction score... it passed the sniff test... things looked "good enough"
I already knew the answer before you guys responded. Always call. Hopefully you guys get some money back.

I already knew the answer before you guys responded. Always call. Hopefully you guys get some money back.
Yes I never even got to payment with him but as soon as he asked for a check I would have told him where to shove it. Both those women need to be arrested and you need to find this guy. Hopefully someone behind the scenes is tracking this asshole down.

Reactions: deersniper
Guys

This is organized and will change names daily, they are hunting on the site and you idiots are responsible for your own problems

We have warned you repeatedly to use some common sense, and not to jump at every "deal" you think you stumbled on, if it sounds too good it probably is.

They are here with multiple accounts, with coordinating parties, you will never "identify" the problem, we see it every single day banning accounts before they ever get to post. Then i have to deal with daily hate mail because you were flagged by our system as potential problem

I keep saying you make stupid posts like this vs reporting people I am gonna ban you then go look for the issues, you are part of the problem by chasing the for sale system the way you do. Wait shit is gonna change dramatically and many of you won't like it and I don't fucking care... you want to use this like a for sale site vs information you will pay for it.

We tell you, match details like phone numbers vs locations, one of you assholes are so fucking stupid you sent a check to Lincoln's childhood home...

if you can't protect yourself at all times, you'll lose the privilege or pay for your stupidity

the are laying in wait, they are posting alongside you because they know we are watching, they post shit to your private messages and hyou think no big deal. You can't get the most basic information, hell every time some asshole is banned for some shit we have messages about information residing on here, I can't contact the seller-buyer, etc because it's only in my conversations vs offline.

Get a clue or find a new place to hang out

I love how it is new members being so fucking stupid, they immediately join, pay $50 to post in the PX and then get scammed and cry foul

It's all gonna change because of these members. It's being lined up right now I am spending a ton of money to change this place, they are on here now looking at all this, most money ever spent on the site in one sitting, new members won't be happy but fuck it, less headache on my end