• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Scan tool help

Bryan W M

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2011
East KS
Going to show my age here. Time to update my snap on brick MT2500 . Vehicles I need to work on 06 250 , 2013 focus, 2020 4Runner.
I’d like the same capabilities as the MT2500 or more.
I’m open to other scanners.
ABS codes is a must.

Looking at the Mac ET1210ANX
Blue point EECR 5
Autel MX808

Get a real Tech2.
The original real one made by Hewlett Packard.
Nothing you can't do with one once you understand how to fully utilize it.
You can even pull the entire code from a ECM/U, transfer the code to a computer, modify it, and slip it back into the ECM/U and not even the OEM would know.
Ask me how I know :)

• Haha
Reactions: Bradu
I thought Tech 2 was a GM product. He's working on Toyota's.

Take a look at autoenginuity

I have a cheap Ancel 310. It shows every piece of data the ECU puts out, from my 2003 F150 to my 2019 Stinger. Showed me which cylinders were not firing on the truck, to intake air temps when I put an aftermarket intercooler on the Stinger.

No bluetooth, no app on a phone, it's all just accessible on the little LCD built-in. I think it cost me $40 at Costco.

Snap on modis, great scan tool, can do all the abs stuff as well as relearns. I have been using one for about 4 years now and have been happy with it.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
We used a SO brick for the off brand vehicles when I was at Nissan, brings back memories.

I've been out of the scan tool game a while but do know if you get a Autel, make sure it is from a authorized dealer so you can get the updates. I need to get a new one also that has bi-directional controls.

Snap on modis, great scan tool, can do all the abs stuff as well as relearns. I have been using one for about 4 years now and have been happy with it.
I've been looking at these in my local market place. While snap on is higher than giraffe pussy, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one of their tool trucks.

I've been looking at these in my local market place. While snap on is higher than giraffe pussy, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one of their tool trucks.
Yeah they are but Snapon owns like 80% of the diagnostic market, makes it tough to get away from them.
We use a snapon pro link edge hd at work for our heavy duty stuff. If you use anything by Nexiq it is snapon.

Reactions: 346ci
If you are trying to stay around the 500 area, look at HP Tuners. It is not a full walk through step by step guid, but it will give you full control over the drivetrain and data logging.

Anyone know what an update version of the brick would be but just for obd2. I just need to see codes , see what the computer is seeing/ not seeing. I won’t be changing tunes .

Vehicle support for the brick stopped around the 2000 model year. If all you want to do is read codes you can pick up a code reader from napa for <200

Going to show my age here. Time to update my snap on brick MT2500 . Vehicles I need to work on 06 250 , 2013 focus, 2020 4Runner.
I’d like the same capabilities as the MT2500 or more.
I’m open to other scanners.
ABS codes is a must.

Looking at the Mac ET1210ANX
Blue point EECR 5
Autel MX808
I don’t believe anyone is offering brick updates. If you mention the brick to tool truck guys they laugh.

I also don’t believe any of the scanners you listed will be able to do any of the abs coding or bleeding procedures, or releasing the electronic parking brake on modern vehicles, never used any of them personally. Most of the equipment capable of this are going to be in the 1500 plus range, snapon solus range or better.

Some of the coding for ABS is only available through the dealer specific programs on modern vehicles. I have only changed abs modulator valves on VW/Audi vehicles and that is a dealer specific program and took a multiple tries to get the coding to take. Had more time into messing with the software side of it than I did and changing out the actual valve.

The scan tools you mentioned are more designed just to look at codes and read sensors not to do any real reprogramming.

I believe Tech-2 will read some Toyota stuff, never done it personally but heard of people who have. It is purpose built for GM, and does a damn good job at it.

Working on a wide range of vehicles modern day it’s kind of hard and expensive. A lot of the technology is becoming dealer specific. Dealers make their money on repairs and selling parts more than they do car sales.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you mainly want something to read fault codes and not so concerned with bidirectional controls? The autel is probably going to be the best choice for what you are wanting to do with that budget. As mentioned, buy from an authorized dealer. From what I've seen, you get no warranty or updates otherwise.

OBDlink mx+ Is a good option. You get all the basics like dtc, live data and abs, etc

what works depends a lot on which 3 party apps it’s used with including some OEM software. If you’re working with Toyota I’m not sure if it will connect to TIS, but it might be worth looking into.

Edit: I use Carly for some stuff for my 19 Tacoma. For example.

Last edited:
Launch makes good stuff from my experience. A tech buddy I used to work with works on Masserati and Ferrari and he has one of the higher model Launch scanners, touch screen with wireless/blutooth plug. It does a lot that only the factory tools should be able to do. Think he said it was about $1000 at the time and had 2 years of updates included iirc. I used it a few times when I was still turning wrenches, it was impressive for the money for sure. They have lower models too if you don’t need all that, just buy from an authorized dealer, another buddy got one from Amazon and it turned out to be a counterfiet.

I also need to buy a scanner. For the money I've settled on this. $350 at autozone. Gets great reviews.
20220329_102751.jpg