• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scar 20s 6.5

Anyone know anything about barrel swapping a 17 to 6.5 creedmoor?
deadshot barrels makes replacement barrels for the 17 in various calibers and profiles and lengths.
i have not used them myself but it is the only name i have seen mentioned in forums.

I got a chance to shoot my SCAR 20S 6.5 briefly yesterday to work on zero and familiarization. I am running a Leupold Mk 5 3.6-18x44 TMR.

FD5A212A-175B-4F29-B6A5-9AE4317C9F2F.jpeg

Not my best work as I was laying in very squishy freezing mud and my bipod was digging in and changing position shot to shot. I was short on daylight so I did not get any range photos. But I have pics of some groups. I will have to redo the ladder test at a later date as I shot too inconsistently to verify the worth of the test.

Unfortunately, I was only able to fire 55 rounds, the last round was a squib and left the bullet about 1" into the breech end of the barrel. Primer was live but no powder charge.

4697D39C-D04C-4570-A9CF-97B6E5186F84.jpeg55D0CDD0-A581-4988-96BE-CC6FA2230392.jpeg974054D1-7059-43B2-9441-601B6F30E36D.jpeg

After I got it more or less zeroed I ran a 15 round group, each square is 1/2".
464CD821-8007-4806-BF2E-A470E5819AEA.jpeg

I will shoot it more when it is dry out and earlier in the day. Tighten up my zero a bit and work on learning how to drive the rifle more consistently. Overall, first impression is that the rifle shoots very nicely with minimal felt recoil though it definitely feels different than my other rifles.

124C9D64-89C9-4700-B0C7-330BEB403207.jpeg

Reactions: theLBC
I got a chance to shoot my SCAR 20S 6.5 briefly yesterday to work on zero and familiarization. I am running a Leupold Mk 5 3.6-18x44 TMR.

View attachment 7523943

Not my best work as I was laying in very squishy freezing mud and my bipod was digging in and changing position shot to shot. I was short on daylight so I did not get any range photos. But I have pics of some groups. I will have to redo the ladder test at a later date as I shot too inconsistently to verify the worth of the test.

Unfortunately, I was only able to fire 55 rounds, the last round was a squib and left the bullet about 1" into the breech end of the barrel. Primer was live but no powder charge.

View attachment 7523926View attachment 7523925View attachment 7523924

After I got it more or less zeroed I ran a 15 round group, each square is 1/2".
View attachment 7523934

I will shoot it more when it is dry out and earlier in the day. Tighten up my zero a bit and work on learning how to drive the rifle more consistently. Overall, first impression is that the rifle shoots very nicely with minimal felt recoil though it definitely feels different than my other rifles.

View attachment 7523938
thanks for sharing. i have almost the same setup (in 7.62x51) and may get a 6.5cm barrel for it *whenever they are actually available.
of course that might depend on what happens with ammo supply, which brings me to that question. what are you using?
i concur that inconsistent bipod traction is hard to fix, and it is really hard to stay on target with a 7.62 if you bipod moves much.
if you can't find a dry spot, you might carry some 4"x4" squares of burlap or some semi-sturdy disposable material to throw under the feet.
they may bury themselves into a somewhat more solid base if something like cleated feet (i just ordered) don't help.

Reactions: earthtrekker1775
I finally got my zco 4x20 with mpct3 this week to finish my 6.5 mk20. I took a few shots to get it on paper and dialed to correct for impact and proceeded to put one right in the bullseye. Then finished up with two more shots for 1/2" group. I then started getting dope out to 700 yards and was hitting center punches all the way out. Damn this rifle is amazing! I was fighting a 7-10mph wind but didn't have to really hold anything until 600y. This may be the best S.A. LR rifle I have shot to date. Felt great. I have a tbac 338sr on it. It's a little big but I can't seem to get these 20s's to quiet down. I cant figure out why. My shorter barreled 17s is very quiet with an ultra7. Go figure. I plan to go out further next week and see how it does.

thanks for sharing. i have almost the same setup (in 7.62x51) and may get a 6.5cm barrel for it *whenever they are actually available.
of course that might depend on what happens with ammo supply, which brings me to that question. what are you using?
i concur that inconsistent bipod traction is hard to fix, and it is really hard to stay on target with a 7.62 if you bipod moves much.
if you can't find a dry spot, you might carry some 4"x4" squares of burlap or some semi-sturdy disposable material to throw under the feet.
they may bury themselves into a somewhat more solid base if something like cleated feet (i just ordered) don't help.
I was shooting factory new, Prime 130gr ammo.

How is accuracy on the scars?
the 6.5cm is probably a little better or easier to shoot but...

Fn is about as bad as sig when they show all these fancy modular parts and not many of any actually hit the shelves. Back when the MCX was launched and I bought one had all these awesome parts that never hit the market. Hope FN releases more parts for their guns

Fn is about as bad as sig when they show all these fancy modular parts and not many of any actually hit the shelves. Back when the MCX was launched and I bought one had all these awesome parts that never hit the market. Hope FN releases more parts for their guns
if i had one complaint, it would be parts availability (although i have not needed any).
i want to have spares for some parts, and it took more than a few months for me to find a spare firing pin (for example).
now i just check as often as i remember to see if anything else is in stock at midwestgunworks, including aftermarket parts.
currently they have firing pins.

Reactions: diderr
I have the 16 and 17 both in FDE
They are cool looking, they are light, they shoot amazing but to me they just feel cheap.
Do not get me wrong they are VERY durable and well made just the looseness in certain parts of the stock gets to me.
I think its just the design and material and I am sure its to make sure there are not problem is some sand or whatever gets in there etc.
As much as I wanted to fall in love with the SCAR platform and leave my ARs to collect dust it turns out the SCARs mainly sit and collect dust.

They are cool looking, they are light, they shoot amazing but to me they just feel cheap.
Do not get me wrong they are VERY durable and well made just the looseness in certain parts of the stock gets to me.
I think its just the design and material and I am sure its to make sure there are not problem is some sand or whatever gets in there etc.
As much as I wanted to fall in love with the SCAR platform and leave my ARs to collect dust it turns out the SCARs mainly sit and collect dust.
they may seem cheap, but they are the most rugged firearms out there. Battlefield vegas has a 16 with 200k plus of automatic fire through it, with only a few pins and springs changed. The owner of battlefield said if there is only one gun he could take for a zombie apocalypse he'd take the scar 16 due to durability and reliability.
My issue with the scar platform is my familiarity with the ar platform. Having put over 50k plus rounds through my ar in the last 8 yrs, the ergonomics on the scar throw me off a bit, and i am not as fast with my scars. Also, the recoil impulsive is slightly different, so again, i can't shoot it as fast and accurately as my ars, mostly due to habits and training on the ar platform.

they are designed to be comparatively soft shooting, i assume to reduce fatigue in battle.
part of this is using poly components in the lower and stock that absorb some of the recoil by flexing, instead of transmitting it directly to the shooter.
i often hear from folks that don't like AKs because everything rattles around like the parts don't fit right.
again, it is not loose tolerances, is it designed that way for reliability when it inevitably gets dirty in the field.

all that said, you're certainly free to choose what you like and at least for now, appreciate the ability to even have that choice.

Oh I agree and as I said I do not fault the SCAR or function its just my hang up.
I know if it was all tight it would have issues in real world.
Funny though as I do love my AKs!
If I did not think they were amazing rifles I would sell them but they are not going anywhere even with the insane prices all guns are commanding.
I think its just I have trained with ARs for so long I am just used to them despite their shortcomings.
Nothing is perfect for everyone if it was there would not be so many options out there!
As for recoil I agree they are even soften than their AR equals.

Oh I agree and as I said I do not fault the SCAR or function its just my hang up.
I know if it was all tight it would have issues in real world.
Funny though as I do love my AKs!
If I did not think they were amazing rifles I would sell them but they are not going anywhere even with the insane prices all guns are commanding.
I think its just I have trained with ARs for so long I am just used to them despite their shortcomings.
Nothing is perfect for everyone if it was there would not be so many options out there!
As for recoil I agree they are even soften than their AR equals.

I think the recoil is not any softer than an ar, it’s just different.
It tends to recoil straight up versus ar recoil a bit to the side.
That means you need to relearn how to manage the recoil properly if you’ve spent a lot of time shooting ars.
Does it make a difference in real world application? not sure, but I see the difference when I have a shot timer on and how precise I am shooting. For the record I’ve only put about a 1000 rounds through a 16 and maybe 3-4K through various 17s