• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SCAR 20S optic choice?

CageFighter

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2010
North NJ
Now that my rifle is ordered, what optic are you guys running on ur 20S? I have Elcan 1-4x on my 16/17, but undecided on this long range shooter. Any thoughts? Please post pics of your setup. :p

I do not have a 20s, but aI think a 3-18 or 4-16 with a tree reticle and ring cap mini RDS would go very well on a rifle like this.

Yes. I think an ATACR 1-8x would also be a good choice. First, if you have never gotten behind the new NF 1-8x, you need to. I think everyone needs this scope. Goes nicely with the Scar. Point and shoot like and Aimpoint, and the ability to dial-in to 8x. You say that 8x is not enough? Yeah, I like 15x just fine, but our snipers shot with 8x, 9x and 10x on the Mk11 and Mk12 platforms. 8x is plenty to 600-800 yards, if you scope is as clear as the ATACR.

Want more, go for ATACR 4-16, or the S&B US 3-20x. Cannot afford NF or S&B? Come on, you just spent $4k on a rifle. :unsure:

(btw, I have two Scar 20's looking for a good home.)

Yes. I think an ATACR 1-8x would also be a good choice. First, if you have never gotten behind the new NF 1-8x, you need to. I think everyone needs this scope. Goes nicely with the Scar. Point and shoot like and Aimpoint, and the ability to dial-in to 8x. You say that 8x is not enough? Yeah, I like 15x just fine, but our snipers shot with 8x, 9x and 10x on the Mk11 and Mk12 platforms. 8x is plenty to 600-800 yards, if you scope is as clear as the ATACR.

Want more, go for ATACR 4-16, or the S&B US 3-20x. Cannot afford NF or S&B? Come on, you just spent $4k on a rifle. :unsure:

(btw, I have two Scar 20's looking for a good home.)

I had an NX8 on a Scar 17 for a while and plan to some day give the ATACR 1-8 a chance.... the reticle looks great for a 7.62 DMR and about perfect for that rifle.

I was thinking a MK20 might be able to take advantage of a little more magnification, more like this configuration:
9bMU4qr.jpg

I have the nx8, so not the exact same thing as the ATACR, but my one big issue with it is, getting past 300 or so, that center dot is really big. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the NX8 and ATACR reticle the same outside the tree in the ATACR?

I love that scope, but I wish they would make that center dot smaller. The hashes around the dot are plenty to make the "red dot" effect on 1x.

I have the nx8, so not the exact same thing as the ATACR, but my one big issue with it is, getting past 300 or so, that center dot is really big. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the NX8 and ATACR reticle the same outside the tree in the ATACR?

I love that scope, but I wish they would make that center dot smaller. The hashes around the dot are plenty to make the "red dot" effect on 1x.

Aren't you going to be holding past 300 yards anyway

anyone got any experience with the S&B 3-20 ultra short? looks like it'd be a great optic for a 20s. was looking into getting it but that price tag :oops:

Reactions: TacticalPlinker
I think the my top 3 picks would be (in no particular order)

1. Leupold Mk5 3.6-18x
2. Nightforce ATACR 4-16x
3. S&B Ulta Short 3-20x

I feel like all of the above fit that platform well I’m terms of power range and features and have appropriate pedigree. You could also add the Nightforce NXS 3-15x, it’s classic.

The 1-8x optics might also be viable if you’re look to shade more towards battle rifle or DMR function but you’d be giving up an bit on the far end.

Have a buddy of mine who's kid is in the Ranger Batt, and he showed me a pic of him in Afghanistan. Mk20 , with a Luepold MK5.

The 1-8 is not enough scope for the 20s. At 11lbs, it's better off with more magnification. If you want to do a 1-8, get a SCAR 17s IMO.

Reactions: hypno02
Have a buddy of mine who's kid is in the Ranger Batt, and he showed me a pic of him in Afghanistan. Mk20 , with a Luepold MK5.

MK5? Interesting. I heard the Mark 6s are common but the Mark 5 might be a better optic.

OP- what did you choose, or are you flipping the rifle?

NF 4-16 or NF 3-15 F1.

That rifle deserves an optic as tough as it is itself. And also, an 11# rifle deserves more than an 8x optic. Anybody recommending a 8x optic (or 10x for that matter) is downright stupid.

S&B Ultra Short 3-20x50 with the MSR2 reticle. Arguably the widest field of view at low mag and enough horsepower on the top end to have excellent target ID or for going long...

The MSR2 can be used at 3x like a duplex. It's just an ass kicker ....

Reactions: CageFighter
That combo begs for a NF 4-16. I do agree though that the MK5 is really looking good. My buddy JUST got one. He’s a pretty hard core NF H59 shooter, so we will see. I’m going NF ATACR 4-16, but the MK5 was FOR SURE in the running.

NF 4-16 or NF 3-15 F1.

That rifle deserves an optic as tough as it is itself. And also, an 11# rifle deserves more than an 8x optic. Anybody recommending a 8x optic (or 10x for that matter) is downright stupid.

That’s a very silly thing to say unless you’ve been behind one. I am SUPER comfortable using my ATACR 1-8 out to 800 yds, and last Friday, was hitting at 1000 yds with my KAC ACC and my 1-8.

You can say “for me that doesn’t work...” but to imply that guys who are doing it, and making the hits, vs talking about it on the computer are “stupid “ is bad taste man. Cmon, The Hide is better than that.

Reactions: Evolution 9
That’s a very silly thing to say unless you’ve been behind one. I am SUPER comfortable using my ATACR 1-8 out to 800 yds, and last Friday, was hitting at 1000 yds with my KAC ACC and my 1-8.

You can say “for me that doesn’t work...” but to imply that guys who are doing it, and making the hits, vs talking about it on the computer are “stupid “ is bad taste man. Cmon, The Hide is better than that.

Sorry I should have said "Anybody recommending a 10x or 8x with today's current offerings in mind on a 20" .308 is stupid."

On a 16" rifle [I agree] a 1-8 makes perfect sense. The Mk20 is a precision rifle. It should have an optic built for precision shooting.

You've already gotten a lot of input, and much of it similar, but let me throw my thoughts in based on my experiences. I have a NF ATACR 4-16x42 F1 on my Seekins SP10 in .308 and an NF ATACR 1-8x24 F1 on a 16" .223 AR15. Both are technically capable on the platform you're looking at, but if you're planning on using it as a precision gun, I'd lean toward the 4-16 or 3-18/3-20 range personally. The 1-8's are very capable yes, but unnecessary if you're not doing run and gun stuff with it, which most people aren't with a 20" .308. That mid range optic is a really nice middle ground and will give you a lot of good features. The 1-8 is an excellent optic as well, but it has no parallax adjustment and capped turrets. It's really not intended to be a precision optic as much as a DMR kind of thing based on holdovers.

Your purpose for the rifle drives the type of optic needed.

I currently like the NF NX 8 4-32 with 50mm - I have it on my my Armalite SASS - - I my eyes have gotten older the magnification helps with great glass - It is for distance but probably overkill!

1-8x on one will make it into a fine DMR. A 6x ACOG would be fine on a Mk20 in that role too. Nothing wrong with that if you wanna go that way and currently mine has just that, a 1-8x USO. I do plan on putting something different on it later though, considering the ECOS-O setup, a 3-18 Mk6 with an Aimpoint T1. But not sure Mk6 gets the thumbs up for the price.

I ordered a 4-16 ATACR and I may use that on the Mk20 but I think I'd rather put it on the SR25. Still, it'd be a fine optic for either.

I got a 5-25 ATACR for the MRAD and a USO 5-25 for the HTI... Those are the only two rifles I feel the need for that much magnification on, and I wouldn't mind the 7-35x if it weren't for the fact it has less elevation than the 5-25 which IMO sorta ruins it.

Well, NF JUST came out with a 4-20x ATACR...

Edit: but you'd still be better off with the 4-16 after looking at the details. I considered changing my order to the 4-20 but decided that for a 7.62 rifle it's not the way to go, the 4-16's attributes are more suited to that rifle in that caliber.

Last edited:
I've been running the ATACR 4-16 F1 on my Scar 20S in 6.5CM for several months. Great setup that I really enjoy..... the video below is me shooting 600yds on a 2/3 IPSC plate.

That said however, I just recently picked up a 5-25 ATACR F1 with T3 reticle that I might try out on this rifle. It's a sweet shooter and very capable at distance so the extra mag will be handy.

Reactions: Evolution 9
Any concerns with the recoil of the Scar damaging your clip on our your Raptar?

The TigIR-6M can handle the SCAR, and 2018+ Raptars are SCAR-hardened. The 2124LR is not, and I don't shoot it (it was just for photos).

Reactions: m1ajunkie
Razor Gen III 1-10x
MK5HD 3.8-18x
SB 5-20 Ultra Short
Elcan 1.5x/6x

View attachment 7528154
View attachment 7528164

I need to get a 1.5-6x for a 17 too but I probably won't see that rifle for another 3-4 months... And god only knows how long it'll be before I can get the FA762SS suppressor for the '20 but the Form 4 has finally been submitted and ATF billed me already so just wait... That's all I seem to be doing with shit backordered into spring or later. Wanna SBR a SCAR 17 w/13" bbl. but the damn rifle won't be here until April probably. And I'd like to score a 5.56 SCAR as soon as those come back out (according to FN, US made ones are coming in spring too). What a year already.

Nice rig. And I AM coming down there one day, just can't say when at the moment. I'll bring toys. But if you wanna blast shit with the M2HB you're gonna have to come up here (lots of members up here too, maybe we can have a 'Hide party on some BLM land when this covid shit is over!).

You ought hold off on some new optics... There seems to be like a lot of NEW shit coming down the pipe... ATACR II, PM III, new models across the board.

That said however, I just recently picked up a 5-25 ATACR F1 with T3 reticle that I might try out on this rifle. It's a sweet shooter and very capable at distance so the extra mag will be handy.

So I ordered both of those scopes, the 4-16 for either an SR25 or Mk20. Probably the Mk20, always wanted a PM2 or Hensoldt for the '25. I scored a fixed ADM Delta mount with offset cap in FDE for it, I think I'd like to put a mini red dot on it. It looks ideal on paper, we'll see. It sure is a common application though.

I also ordered a 5-25 ATACR, same as yours --both of these in fact have the Tremor3. But I got the 5-25 for an MRAD in a Condition One mount, I feel it's too big, too much for a '20 but that's me.

• Love
Reactions: TheHorta
I need to get a 1.5-6x for a 17 too but I probably won't see that rifle for another 3-4 months... And god only knows how long it'll be before I can get the FA762SS suppressor for the '20 but the Form 4 has finally been submitted and ATF billed me already so just wait... That's all I seem to be doing with shit backordered into spring or later. Wanna SBR a SCAR 17 w/13" bbl. but the damn rifle won't be here until April probably. And I'd like to score a 5.56 SCAR as soon as those come back out (according to FN, US made ones are coming in spring too). What a year already.

Nice rig. And I AM coming down there one day, just can't say when at the moment. I'll bring toys. But if you wanna blast shit with the M2HB you're gonna have to come up here (lots of members up here too, maybe we can have a 'Hide party on some BLM land when this covid shit is over!).

You ought hold off on some new optics... There seems to be like a lot of NEW shit coming down the pipe... ATACR II, PM III, new models across the board.

So I ordered both of those scopes, the 4-16 for either an SR25 or Mk20. Probably the Mk20, always wanted a PM2 or Hensoldt for the '25. I scored a fixed ADM Delta mount with offset cap in FDE for it, I think I'd like to put a mini red dot on it. It looks ideal on paper, we'll see. It sure is a common application though.

I also ordered a 5-25 ATACR, same as yours --both of these in fact have the Tremor3. But I got the 5-25 for an MRAD in a Condition One mount, I feel it's too big, too much for a '20 but that's me.

I like the SB Ultra Short 3-20 T3 on the SCAR. Works great. But since I don’t do any LR stuff with it, and mostly use it at night with a clip-on, the 1-10 G3 Razor is titties. Keeps the ounces down, and my poor, old frame hates ounces.

The MK5HD 3.8-18 is even lighter, and 18x is as much as I’ll ever need.

In the photo with the 2124LR and Rap-S, that’s a PMII 3-27x56 High Power, which is long enough to land light aircraft on top. Overkill for this gun.

i have the mark 5hd 3.6-18x as well.

i love the shorty because i have room for all the nv stuff @TheHorta has (that i cannot afford).
That's right! I can afford the 20, I just can't afford anything else to be able to shoot the fucking thing. LMAO!!!

• Haha
That's right! I can afford the 20, I just can't afford anything else to be able to shoot the fucking thing. LMAO!!!
$23k nv clip on is not required to shoot a $4k rifle.

• Haha
Liar!!!

$4K rifle
$23K Clip-on
$5K Scope/Mount
$10K Raptar-S + TracIR cable
$1K suppressor

If you’re gonna buy an operator gun, you need operator gear. 🥰
After $43,000 bux @TheHorta 's wife left him, parents disowned him, kids spurn him, wang failed him, and he ran out of dough at the tripod/ballhead stage.

Nice rig tho'! (above the ballhead, that is)