• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Schmidt/Bender 5x25x56 P4F and Tikka T-3 243 cal Stainless Lite .... do they work together

shurt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana
A couple years back I saved my pennies and bought a Schmidt / Bender 5x25x56 P4F and this week bought a new Tikka T-3 243 cal which should be at my house later this week. I also bought the 20 moa rail for mounting a scope. Hate to buy another scope when I have a high dollar SB scope already sitting at home.

Is my SB to much scope for the rifle? I wanted a lite weight rifle for coyote hunting to use with shooting sticks. Thoughts? Suggestions? I don't have a lot of rifle experience so be easy with me. As I looked through the Hide the past couple days I haven't seen any pictures with Tikka's and 56mm scopes .... is there a reason?

Since you got it, may as well use it. You can always dial the magnification down as the situation warrants.

Light weight and "to much scope" are personal matters that will depend on use and your physical capacity.

One does not see that many Tikka's here overall, so with 56mm scopes will be even less.
My impression....many SB owners have high end rifles like AI, GAP, Surgeon and other custom makers.
Enjoy.

I have a 260 Rem with that scope on it. Scope cost a grand more than the gun, does not mean I would buy something else. Why would you NOT want the S&B?

Fantastic scope but it'd be huge on that rifle. On top of that I'd rather have less than 5x on a hunting rifle.

I'd see if I could trade for a S&B 3-20, which is also a fantastic scope and medium sized. I have both of them, like both equally but have the 3-20 on the lighter rifles.

Buks .... you are right. I had that S&B on a high dollar precision rifle that I still have but that sucker is very heavy so I bought a lighter 243 for hunting.

EMSP .... I want to use the S&B but wondered if it would work or if I'm crazy for using the scope.

Steve ... that is why I was asking about the scope / rifle combination. I wasn't sure if it would work or not. Thanks, you might be right.

I think after seeing a couple of posts, I'm going to use my scope or at least try to use it. If I find it's too big or too heavy I'll get something different. Thanks for the information / advice.

Last edited:
One can never have too much scope. I recently sold a few S&B 5-25s to fund a few more Bushnell XLR 5-30s, but that was due to the fact I had a few rifles that needed optics and it made sense to duplicate optics on all the rifles. the S&B is a top notch scope, I miss them. They do prefer a 40 MOA base, but thats if you want to get the full double turn and get to 26 mils of elevation.

Kirk Roberts

My Tikka T3 SS lite in 30-06 can put 5 rds dead center in less than 1" at 100 yrds with handloads. Get your SB on top of your Tikka get some nice handloads and enjoy your fine shootings.

Got a few, S&B PMII"s. one on my .308 and another on my 338lm, and another on a 300wm. Currently in the market for a fourth to sit on top of another build. I'm retired now. Not a very good shot, but love looking thru arguably the best glass in the world. The subject is subjective, for sure.

Thanks for the posts. I've got nothing to lose by mounting my S&B on my new Tikka and seeing what happens.

OH NO.......do not put that thing on your rifle.........I'll swap you one of my S&B 4-16's for it (PM me for the address you'll need to ship that scope to).