• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

School me on plate carriers

J McGriddle

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2017
Middle Tennessee
I picked up some 10x12 shooters cut plates and I need carrier. I have an old Condor carrier that is is way too big for me. The Crye JPC looks like something I might want, minimalistic. Having plates in hand makes you realize that you don't have much coverage and I need to be able to run like hell in a worst case scenario. Guidance is much appreciated.

I have an older crye that I like very much. Quality and fit is excellent, and I imagine the newer ones would be good too!

This thread has a shit ton of carrier information

I like my JPC 2.0. It's very light, very well made, comfy. It's made to be minimalist so it isn't feature packed, it's just a plate carrier that you can add onto, with a well made semi-rigid cummerbund that's good for mounting.

• Love
Reactions: burneyr
For low profile carrier, check out Ferro Concepts Slickster. First Spear First On carrier is another option as well.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Minimalist is cool if you aren't gonna wear it all day. Jpc2.0 vs crye avs the avs wins if you're wearing a decent amount of stuff. Lvl 4 plates, side plates, 3 mags, radio, ifak, some other small things. If you're only gonna wear it for a bit go more minimal.

Reactions: J McGriddle
And that's all? That thread has 43 posts in it.

@canman - i think Phil is referring to the epic rants krautman has about buying junk chinese made stuff for saving your life.

He is on vacation and may be drunk (for sure he is) so who really know?

Anyone used the Warrior Assault Systems LoPro carrier? I tried one on today and it felt pretty good even carrying with heavy lvl 4 plates.

Are trauma pads necessary with modern armor (ie not AR500) ?

I’m just going to point and laugh at anybody mentioning condor.
To be fair...I ran a condor minimalist carrier
for over a year and it held up just fine...

It's currently running backup duty in my trunk.

Would I "go into battle" with it....no

But for shoot houses and other training....works just fine.

I would have said the AWS INC Operators Choice plate carrier...several months ago... before it doubled in price!!! I picked one up that was under $160 (with military discount) and have to say the quality is really good.

Although I have already upgraded it with a retro-fit first spear type tube cummerbund for quick release. Pretty comfortable too. Fits my Med size SAPI plates pretty well.
93979FE8-B928-4A44-AC94-38C3FFE36EBA.jpeg
4357294C-6273-461A-9C33-D572987DA1E7.jpeg

Last edited:
I just recently got my carrier setup. Got a ferro slickster with a spiritus placard. I got some hesco l210 plates from trex. If you get on their email notifications you can get them really fast. They only sell if they have it in stock. They shipped mine out the next day and I got them within a week.

I got back last year from a 6 month rotation so this is purely from my experience with the only 3 that i have tried. I've used the Eagle, Crye AVS, and JPC 2.0. I liked the Eagle but it's just not up to todays technology standards. The JPC 2.0 is my favorite. Just because it's labeled as a minimalistic plate carrier doesn't mean it can't hold just as much as the AVS. The JPC 2.0 rides significantly better than the AVS. It's lighter and more comfortable. Even after modifying the AVS, it was not nearly as comfortable as the JPC 2.0 After +48 hours in a fully loaded plate carrier and ruck the JPC felt significantly better than the AVS.

I know guys with the Spiritus and they like it. The majority of my guys converted to the JPC 2.0. LBT has something new out that looks promising, but i haven't got my hands on it. You definitely need to spend some time with whatever you buy. My kit gets updated regularly. If you have any friends that have plate carriers you can borrow before you commit to one that would be preferred.

Avs rear plate bag sags and hard to get front plate to ride high enough. I've seen the shoulder straps come unstitched on the front of jpc and avs over a sample size of a little over 10.

Are trauma pads necessary with modern armor (ie not AR500) ?

Trauma pads are usually worm with soft armor panels to reduce trauma during back face deformation during round impact. Never warn them with hard armor, usually there isn’t any back face deformation with Level IV / ceramic plates.

Huge fan of my Crye JPC. I own the 1.0 and absolutely love it. Super light weight and really nice on your collar bones. Have used it both in the field and in my free time on the range since early 2016.

Huge fan of my Crye JPC. I own the 1.0 and absolutely love it. Super light weight and really nice on your collar bones. Have used it both in the field and in my free time on the range since early 2016.

I read that the plate bags are designed for SAPI/ESAPI cut. Have you ever had shooters cut in the JPC?

The HRC RAC looks good to me. That review was saying it was designed for hot weather and keeping cool in. Overheating has always been a problem with me...

I read that the plate bags are designed for SAPI/ESAPI cut. Have you ever had shooters cut in the JPC?
I have a shooter's cut JPC. It fits my Hesco shooter's cut plates very well. I believe you can fit the shooter's cut plates in the standard SAPI JPC just fine, with there being some space inside the plate bag area by the shoulder straps. I don't think it's an issue due to how the carrier rides and the stretchy plate bags.

I ordered this carrier in June, when every piece of armor and carrier in the country was out of stock, and even with Crye's famous long lead times... the shooter's cut JPC was off the shelf and shipped right away. It only took two months of running a Haley rig on it before the mag pouch I ordered came though :LOL:

Thoughts on this set up anyone.....?

Its not certified if that matters to you.
It says it is “tested the same”.

Thats a bit off putting to me.

Decent price and in stock is a good thing these days.

Just stuff to consider

SKD’s body armor policy is retarded.

Tencate makes good armor, and stopping M855A1 is no joke, A1 defeats a lot of rifle rated armor. It isn’t certified which is odd. The advantage to cert is the continuous testing that’s done, so when say Hesco falls out of compliance and warranties everyone with a certain plate, you know it was because of compliance.

I've always been bothered by company policies that arbitrarily deny products to law abiding citizens that are otherwise legal to possess. Don't like it with night vision, don't like it with "law enforcement" ammunition, and I don't like it with body armor.

I ordered the Hesco shooter's cut plates, 10x12, and the Crye JPC 2.0 in medium. Any fit issues with the plates? They're ½" wider than SAPI at 9.5" x 12.5".

SKD’s body armor policy is retarded.

Tencate makes good armor, and stopping M855A1 is no joke, A1 defeats a lot of rifle rated armor. It isn’t certified which is odd. The advantage to cert is the continuous testing that’s done, so when say Hesco falls out of compliance and warranties everyone with a certain plate, you know it was because of compliance.
I hear ya on the policy. That's why I've never realy bothered with it before but now they've changed it temporarily because of all the Bullshit going on. Just sign the paper and send a copy of a ccw permit and you're good to go. If the plates are worth a fuck and the carrier is gtg, I think I'm going that route unless there's a more effective option in a similar price range.

They usually have zero issues selling to distributors who then will sell to anyone.

I have a Crye AVS and like stated above this carrier is a great system that can handle a beefy load out if that is what you are looking for or can be fairly minimal. The detachable flaps and placard systems are pretty neat if you want the capability to have different setups that can be swapped out based on need.

I ordered the Hesco shooter's cut plates, 10x12, and the Crye JPC 2.0 in medium. Any fit issues with the plates? They're ½" wider than SAPI at 9.5" x 12.5".

My 2.0 showed up yesterday. The Hesco 4000 shooters cut plates fit. A bit tight getting it in (That's what she said 😁 ) but they fit and feel decent when worn. Still waiting for the Hesco 38XX multi curve to show up and see how those feel. Those are SAPPI medium to fit the 2.0.

I do have a question though. Where do you keep you carrier and plates when not in use? I'm talking about non LEO or military. Those of us who bought just in case after seeing months of "protesting". Do you keep it with you 24/7? Leave it in your truck so it's always close? In your safe because your plates cost more than your rifle? Asking for friend. 🤠

Reactions: DIBBS
I’m LE but have a PC for personal use. I just hang my personal one up in my closet and use it when I go to the range or go for a run.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Most certainly don’t be afraid to spend the money on the carrier. The ultra cheap shit never fits well and falls apart fast

If you are looking for minimal/light weight check out the Blue Force Gear PLATEminus. It’s definitely lighter and more minimal than the JPC

plate-4-mc_back_1.jpg

+1 on the BFG carrier. Just keep in mind it is very minimalist. Mine gets pretty crowded with just a triple AR mag carrier and a small admin pouch. I plan on getting a JPC 2.0 soonish to have more capability.