• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

School me on the "best 6mm"

I would go 6CM or 6GT. For cm its easy to find loaded ammo if you want to be lazy and you can load it a little slower if need be to be easy on the barrel. The GT is a killer option to not have to have a special mag and decent barrel life.

6mm ARC! 1200 yards flat off an AR-15 platform with a 110gr bullet. HORNADY Filled the New military contract for it about a year ago...
I took a 16” 300 BO rifle I hardly shot. New barrel (Proof), new bolt and new mags and I had a new 6mm ARC rifle flat consistent shooter. 6mm bullet w a different casing.

Last edited:
I've got a regular 6BR and a 6BRX. Both of them work really well, the BRX has an extra 100FPS for a lot more work fireforming and probably wasn't worth all the extra effort but I've got a ton of cases formed now. I'd probably go a straight 6BR and spend the time and money shooting rather than making brass. 6BRA is probably the best of the improved BR's where it comes to performance vs time and effort though.

I've got a regular 6BR and a 6BRX. Both of them work really well, the BRX has an extra 100FPS for a lot more work fireforming and probably wasn't worth all the extra effort but I've got a ton of cases formed now. I'd probably go a straight 6BR and spend the time and money shooting rather than making brass. 6BRA is probably the best of the improved BR's where it comes to performance vs time and effort though.
What action are you running it off, barrel length and twist?

Aussiedan, let me know if my questions are derailing your thread. I'm also and Aussie currently midway down the rabbit hole with a 6mm. Hopefully the end of that hole is a rifle.

What action are you running it off, barrel length and twist?

Aussiedan, let me know if my questions are derailing your thread. I'm also and Aussie currently midway down the rabbit hole with a 6mm. Hopefully the end of that hole is a rifle.
The BR is on a tikka action with a 26" hardy carbon 1:8" twist, I use MDT mags and made my own followers and spacers. The BRX is on a Stiller Tac 30 AW with a 25" IBI 1:8" twist using AW mags with the HRD follower kits in them. They're both plenty accurate enough, the tikka is a fairly light rifle, the Stiller is heavier for PRS comps.

Reactions: forthehunt
Makes no fuckin sense
You have to understand it’s all about slipping another inch I towards the goal of disarmament

And every hassle and restriction is one more new shooter that throws their hands up and says f all that not worth it.

What makes it most frustrating is that almost without fail the politicians / bureaucrats involved in making firearm legislation are a bunch of self serving plebs with zero knowledge of firearms. With this in mind how could they possibly make good policies?

Often the cynic in me thinks the goal is to make complying so hard that people simply give up and sell their guns. Whats most odd is that all the legislation in the world and wont do a thing to prevent criminals from owning guns - only law abiding folks.

“Did you really think we want those laws observed?" said Dr. Ferris. "We want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against... We're after power and we mean it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with.”​

6 BR Norma works the best for me .

99% reliability is 1 failure is 100
99.9 is one in a thousand

well better then that with two completely different 6br platforms.

for my use 6br is the ez button. load development is difficult because everything shoots well.

miserly on the powder, i'm getting almost 1900 shots per 8lb jug of AR2208

and it's just a joy to shoot.. in the tikka i hunted all last fall with an unmodified aics magazine with rounds all the way to the front. never a bobble.

in a way it's not fun because it's a load and shoot proposition. but that's the beauty too.

it might be the best cartridge to get ur feet wet with reloading. lapua brass, nearly any small rifle primer, ar2208 at about 29.5 to 30 grains under a 105 bullet and it'll do well.

Reactions: Heffo
I have built 6mmRem rifles, but was not happy.
I have built 243 rifles [2 in the last month] and they are ok.
I have built 6mmBR rifles and they shoot the best.

I have never tried to make a 6mmBR into a repeater.
But it is the best if you can stand single shot.
I shot 2 antelope one morning with an ultra light 6mmBR I built with 95 gr nos bal tip bullets
6mmBR 1.2" 95 gr Nos Bal Tip moly 29 gr IMR4166 2800 fps chrono 27" barrel

The small primer pocket is so strong, the load work up is on the primer piercing, not the brass expanding.

Attachments

• buck antelope 6mmBR Rem700 2016.jpg
    buck antelope 6mmBR Rem700 2016.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 64
From a post I put on another forum last month in regard to 6mm choice:

To be honest, I think it's about what powder/bullet you want to run, and at what velocity node. If you believe in case fill and it's effects on SDs:

2800 velocity node:
Fast powders (Varget, h4895, RL16)
6 BR

6 BRA (for barrel life/less trimming)

Slower powders (h4350, etc.)
6 Dasher

6 BRX

6 BRDX

2940 velocity node:
Fast powders
6 Dasher

6 BRX

Slower powders
6 GT

6x47L

6 XC

6 Creed

3050 velocity node:
Slow powders (needs a lot of case)
6x47L

6 XC

6 Creedmoor

.243 Win

other "magnum" 6mms

Add bullet weights (105 vs 115) and it's a different kind of analysis.

I chose 6 GT because I have a crap ton of h4350 and not a whole lot of varget. 36 grains of h4350 gives me the same velocity I was getting with my XC and 37 grains, due to case volume "efficiency".

Reactions: leendertp
I agree with @Frank Green . However, I chose 6 BR over 6GT because I am lazy. If I don't have time to reload I buy a box o factory lapua ammo and I still get 0.5 MOA at 100m. If I have more time I do some reloading and it's 0.25 MOA at 100m.

The decision is quite simple if you think in gun mph.

Take a 6 mph 6’s ( all of them are 6 mph gun) that achieves this number with the lowest quantity of powder.

The answer is 6 BR. The best thing is you have access to good factory ammo if needed and nowadays it feeds from almost everything.

6XC

Forgiving to reload
Excellent precision
Brass life = 20+ reloads if you take care of it
Standard bolt face
Plenty of barrel manufacturers
David Tubb laid all the precision info you would ever want out for you
Widly used in prs, hunting, bench rest, f-open
115 VLD at 3000fps with a 1:7.5 twist or faster

I second this.

Xc runs out of a 308 mag with zero modifications and it just works. From 105-115 bullets are easy to load and tune, slow or fast. Peterson makes brass and Tubb always has it in stock. Cant go wrong there.

I use alpha brass in a dasher and have never had a failure to feed I use a regular ass aics mag same one I use in my 6 creed with no kit.

Howa Mini in 6 ARC checks all OP's boxes. If you can find one. And Hornady maybe will make some brass one day...........maybe?
I’d likely staple my nutsack before I,
A) built or bought a rifle around Hornady’s junk ass brass
B) crippled myself by using a gas gun made cartridge for my bolt gun that had to run at max to get close to a mild load for a bolt gun cartridge.

The 6mmBR brass from Lapua or RP is so high quality, if you are reloader, you should get a 6mmBR just to experience good brass.