• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope bases

Waymore

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2018
I just picked up a bergara b14 hmr in 6.5 cm and am wondering about bases for it. On my 300 wm I have a nightforce extreme duty 20 moa base and it’s nice, but is it really worth the extra money to get a base with a recoil lug on it like the nf to just put on a relatively low recoil gun? Or would I be just fine putting like an egw or something on it? I’m not opposed to buying it if it’s that big of a difference on even a 6.5 cm but I just want to know if it’s worth double what the egw is on that rifle

I wouldn't care either way on the lug but you get what you pay for in rails. Some of the less expensive ones can be warped and the milling isn't quite to spec. I always buy NF, Seekins level of bases and rings. Theres no sense in buying a nice rifle and putting sup par rails and rings on it. There are lots of good ones out there but not for under $100, IMO.

Reactions: Waymore
I have a 20 MOA base by nightforce on my rifle and it is a base without a recoil lug. It's also a 6.5 creedmoor. It's not always necessary but better to have than not need. My rifle is a Howa though. I'd probably get a base with a recoil lug for yours given the issues pointed out in a thread I made some time back. Please refer to post number 9 and post number 26 so you can see. I personally don't have any experience with a bergara but Terry Cross is an instructor if I understand correctly and gets to see a lot of these things happen.

Here's my thread so you can see...

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/scope-bases.6873127/

Thanks for the replies guys, hey stello the link you posted is for this thread...

Man I don’t like hearing about the stock screws coming loose and the feeding issues. Atleast the the base issue can be solved with the recoil lug. Thanks for posting that link for me stello!

You may not even experience any of these issues. It just depends on the use you intend to give it. I still thought it was best you knew about what others have seen/experienced.
Good luck...

I just got the HMR .308. I read the forum above last night and I've been freaked out about it all day. I'm going for the Nightforce 20 moa short base, NF low rings and the NF SHV F1 scope. Wish I got the Ruger Precision! Learning a ton.

Ive got the new HMR pro on preorder. Theyve updated it with 8x40 on the scope mount. I am hoping this resolves the stated issue with the original HMR.

As far as scope base for it, I am putting an Area 419 scope base with recoil lug that I purchased from a guy on here.

Id rather have the recoil lug and not need it than need it and not have it!

I just picked up a bergara b14 hmr in 6.5 cm and am wondering about bases for it. On my 300 wm I have a nightforce extreme duty 20 moa base and it’s nice, but is it really worth the extra money to get a base with a recoil lug on it like the nf to just put on a relatively low recoil gun? Or would I be just fine putting like an egw or something on it? I’m not opposed to buying it if it’s that big of a difference on even a 6.5 cm but I just want to know if it’s worth double what the egw is on that rifle
Sold one to a guy last weekend, can't wait to hear how it does at the range. Should be a great shooter!!!

I have a hard-on for 20 moa Badger steel bases with 8-40 screws along with Badger steel rings, steel on steel on steel, makes me happy