• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Clearance: Barely Enough Room for a $1 Bill?

I'll probably start firing the rifle without a front cap. Then I'll add the cap and see if POI shifts. If there is no shift then it will be safe to assume it's good to go.

I'll report back.

Rather than looking for POI shift, just put some "White-Out" correction fluid on the bottom of the scope bell. Shoot a round or two and look for transfer to the rail/barrel or marking on the white-out strip.

If you get some marking or transfer your question is answered. Same if there is none.

Personally I'd go with more clearance just to provide a little "heat separation".

The fuss is about people telling the OP he needs higher rings just because there might be a problem. People who haven't used gear like that. People who have scopes set up like that and using them without issue are saying it's fine and the other group is arguing the actual use experience. That's the fuss.

^^This

OP-

I have mounted a scope that low. It hit when I fired the rifle. I took off the scope and installed higher mounts.

Always be data driven. People who did it before can be wrong as those who have never done it. The rifle is different, so are the rings and mount. So his mileage might vary greatly!
The OP should test this setup and write down the findings, look at the data and make a call!

Telling him you ve done it before for many years before and it's fine, can be as misleading as telling him to get different rings. He should go to the range, and for the fraction of the cost of new rings burn ammo to test the rig. Put some dye on one surface or something, and see if it transfers, and even if it does, see what accuracy you are getting! End of discussion!

The other thing people forget is psychological impairment! Who here hasn't looked for a wrench in a box that's too small to contain it, just because you were desperate? :)
Point being even if it doesn't touch, not having a definitive answer, everytime his accuracy isn't what he wants, be it bad marksmanship, bad wind calls, he will always question that clearance!

So for peace of mind reasons, test it! Put it to rest in your mind, because that's where it really matters. Not what others say!

Got to love the internet. Posts like above and others are the reason that a lot of the people who used to post here don't anymore.

Having the same caliber, barrel profile, rings and scope I guess doesn't mean anything as well as the same with different heavier recoiling calibers. Yup OP listen to all the arguing, internet experts. I'm done here.

Got to love the internet. Posts like above and others are the reason that a lot of the people who used to post here don't anymore.

Having the same caliber, barrel profile, rings and scope I guess doesn't mean anything as well as the same with different heavier recoiling calibers. Yup OP listen to all the arguing, internet experts. I'm done here.

What's wrong with telling him to get hard facts, rather than take as gospel what people tell him. There is a lot of variations between your case and his, so even if you expect the results to be the same and they may as well be. Wouldn't an experiment cement your correctness if indeed you are correct? What's the harm? Especially if without it there might still be doubt in his mind?
Can you identify the harm here?

What's wrong with telling him to get hard facts, rather than take as gospel what people tell him. There is a lot of variations between your case and his, so even if you expect the results to be the same and they may as well be. Wouldn't an experiment cement your correctness if indeed you are correct? What's the harm? Especially if without it there might still be doubt in his mind?
Can you identify the harm here?

You have to understand that with some people, those that disagree with their position are wrong. They rarely let facts get in their way.

I agree with you. One or two rounds would give a definite answer. One based on all the variables present on that rifle, with that ammo, not what someone else has (or has claimed) to have found.

Welcome to the world of "Shooting".

You have to understand that with some people, those that disagree with their position are wrong. They rarely let facts get in their way.

I agree with you. One or two rounds would give a definite answer. One based on all the variables present on that rifle, with that ammo, not what someone else has (or has claimed) to have found.

Welcome to the world of "Shooting".

Do you guys have a 6.5 Creedmoor, like the OP, with a M24 profile barrel, like the OP, in 1" Seekins rings, like the OP, holding a Vortex Razor II 4.5-27x56, like the OP? But yeah it's much easier to come on here and give your tough guy talk general answers rather than speak from using the same gear and having the actual experience with it.

As you said welcome to the shooting via the internet "experts" with no experience with what they are giving advice on other than youtube. When he does do your tests I hope he comes back and tells you that he is fine as myself and others have been telling him all along from our actual experience.

Yup the Hide back up to about 2008 area was a good place for shooters with actual experience but now this is what it's become. Again why alot of those shooters don't post anymore. If i wasn't a mod I am not sure how much I would post here to be honest. The gene pool has definitely been diluted here.

I can't say anything as to the OP's rig but I have a 308 custom with a 19" MTU Bartlien and 20 MOA rail .92" Low Seekins 6/4 34mm and Premier 5-25x56 which after filing the cap down may only have a few thou clearance. Literally can hardly see any light between cap and barrel. But with a super stiff setup and a relatively light caliber there should be little to no flex. I can't see how an MTU barrel could have any whip at all. The OP does have a lighter barrel. I would say it all depends on the rig and no two rigs are ever identical.

Do you guys have a 6.5 Creedmoor, like the OP, with a M24 profile barrel, like the OP, in 1" Seekins rings, like the OP, holding a Vortex Razor II 4.5-27x56, like the OP? But yeah it's much easier to come on here and give your tough guy talk general answers rather than speak from using the same gear and having the actual experience with it.

As you said welcome to the shooting via the internet "experts" with no experience with what they are giving advice on other than youtube. When he does do your tests I hope he comes back and tells you that he is fine as myself and others have been telling him all along from our actual experience.

Yup the Hide back up to about 2008 area was a good place for shooters with actual experience but now this is what it's become. Again why alot of those shooters don't post anymore. If i wasn't a mod I am not sure how much I would post here to be honest. The gene pool has definitely been diluted here.

I can understand your point as to telling him it will touch it, because frankly people who tell him that might be wrong. But the fact that you are resisting TESTING for "the experienced" shooter that you are is highly disturbing. We have all heard things from experts that later turned out to be erroneous! You are experienced, but unfortunately, You are not GOD!

The other thing is you assume you are the most experienced shooter. Date of effective membership here doesn't mean that one wasn't shooting when you were still in diapers. You have no information about most of your interlocutors, and even if you are right, you can't make that assumption. People don't join the hide the day they start shooting. There are a lot of folks you have competed against who aren't members here! And I am sure you have lost in matches to folks who aren't members here! Should they join today, it doesn't mean that you are more experienced than them. It means they joined a website today and you did join that website earlier.

You may be right, but let him TEST it! Because you being right unfortunately isn't all that there is, there is also an element of peace of mind on his part! That's something I learned about this sport. When your mind is not at ease about your rig, you tend to question every mishap on that very thing, and no one really believes anyone's experience, till they see it for themselves.

Telling him not to test it, but just swallow what you tell him is disturbing, and no amount of experience warrants that, because you don't know everything, and you are not GOD. A wise shooter would tell him to find it out for himself, and then he ll come here tell us you were right, and we ll all revel in your expertise. That's how you gain the respect of new shooters, not by flaunting your experience! because this kind of thing doesn't encourage new guys to post either, and unless you are immortal, this site needs new people.

Last edited:
Here is one of my setups.

10509703_768269506548898_3714942220422495551_n.jpg

Mike @ CSTACTICAL

Where in any of my posts did I tell him not to test? Find one. None have been edited. You won't. His shooting it will be the test and I was telling him he will be fine as were other people who have similar set ups. Never claimed to be God but when I have run rifles like that, 6 rifles to be exact, and used them in hard match conditions and now run the EXACT set up the OP is talking about then yes I do feel pretty confident in telling him not to worry. That is the main point of any of my posts. People who have no experience with set ups like this telling him he needs higher rings or he will have problems isn't any help. If I had doubt then I wouldn't post with such certainty.

No I don't assume that date on the Hide means anything to experience but I read and can tell from how people post. You are making that assumption. My post was talking about people who used to post here with regularity, one gentleman who is still a friend who has literally written manuals for the military on the subject, who won't post here because the site has got so many more people coming in here and posting on topics they have no idea about and posting garbage. You weren't here in the earlier years so you are posting on something you don't know about and assuming I am wrong. I am not. I also never claimed to be the best shot or win every match. Again your assumptions.

Again where did I say not to test it? Again no where. He will test when he shoots it. If he is still worried when there have been so many people on here with actual experience telling him not to worry then once he shoots the rifle he will learn who he can trust when advice is given in the future and he won't have to worry anymore about his set up.

I don't want you to revel in anything. I never flaunted any experience but just had to keep repeating it so it didn't get lost and to make him worry less. Nothing to do with being a "wise shooter". Not trying to be Yoda. Trying to answer the OP and let him know he doesn't have to worry when he pulls the trigger on his rifle of his scope being damaged. First time to the range he will learn that for himself but if he knew for himself he wouldn't of asked the question right? Should we just answer every question with, "maybe you should test it" even if we know the answer?

Where in any of my posts did I discourage new guys from posting? Man you are full of assumptions. Do I think if you are just making a guess as to if he will have a problem then yes maybe you shouldn't post as you aren't helping answer the question and you don't know the answer so you are just muddying the waters. If a new shooter or poster knows the answer then he definitely should post and tell his experiences. When I ask a question I don't want guesses. i want answers. Preferably from people with experience.

As to respect from new shooters, I will worry about that on my own. Don;t need your input on how I conduct myself. My posts here and other places, conduct at matches, always making time and meeting new shooters to help them out at my range and others and also teaching precision rifle around the country will be what I am judged by. Not you.

I can understand your point as to telling him it will touch it, because frankly people who tell him that might be wrong. But the fact that you are resisting TESTING for "the experienced" shooter that you are is highly disturbing. We have all heard things from experts that later turned out to be erroneous! You are experienced, but unfortunately, You are not GOD!

The other thing is you assume you are the most experienced shooter. Date of effective membership here doesn't mean that one wasn't shooting when you were still in diapers. You have no information about most of your interlocutors, and even if you are right, you can't make that assumption. People don't join the hide the day they start shooting. There are a lot of folks you have competed against who aren't members here! And I am sure you have lost in matches to folks who aren't members here! Should they join today, it doesn't mean that you are more experienced than them. It means they joined a website today and you did join that website earlier.

You may be right, but let him TEST it! Because you being right unfortunately isn't all that there is, there is also an element of peace of mind on his part! That's something I learned about this sport. When your mind is not at ease about your rig, you tend to question every mishap on that very thing, and no one really believes anyone's experience, till they see it for themselves.

Telling him not to test it, but just swallow what you tell him is disturbing, and no amount of experience warrants that, because you don't know everything, and you are not GOD. A wise shooter would tell him to find it out for himself, and then he ll come here tell us you were right, and we ll all revel in your expertise. That's how you gain the respect of new shooters, not by flaunting your experience! because this kind of thing doesn't encourage new guys to post either, and unless you are immortal, this site needs new people.

Where in any of my posts did I tell him not to test? Find one. None have been edited. You won't. His shooting it will be the test and I was telling him he will be fine as were other people who have similar set ups. Never claimed to be God but when I have run rifles like that, 6 rifles to be exact, and used them in hard match conditions and now run the EXACT set up the OP is talking about then yes I do feel pretty confident in telling him not to worry. That is the main point of any of my posts. People who have no experience with set ups like this telling him he needs higher rings or he will have problems isn't any help. If I had doubt then I wouldn't post with such certainty.

No I don't assume that date on the Hide means anything to experience but I read and can tell from how people post. You are making that assumption. My post was talking about people who used to post here with regularity, one gentleman who is still a friend who has literally written manuals for the military on the subject, who won't post here because the site has got so many more people coming in here and posting on topics they have no idea about and posting garbage. You weren't here in the earlier years so you are posting on something you don't know about and assuming I am wrong. I am not. I also never claimed to be the best shot or win every match. Again your assumptions.

Again where did I say not to test it? Again no where. He will test when he shoots it. If he is still worried when there have been so many people on here with actual experience telling him not to worry then once he shoots the rifle he will learn who he can trust when advice is given in the future and he won't have to worry anymore about his set up.

I don't want you to revel in anything. I never flaunted any experience but just had to keep repeating it so it didn't get lost and to make him worry less. Nothing to do with being a "wise shooter". Not trying to be Yoda. Trying to answer the OP and let him know he doesn't have to worry when he pulls the trigger on his rifle of his scope being damaged. First time to the range he will learn that for himself but if he knew for himself he wouldn't of asked the question right? Should we just answer every question with, "maybe you should test it" even if we know the answer?

Where in any of my posts did I discourage new guys from posting? Man you are full of assumptions. Do I think if you are just making a guess as to if he will have a problem then yes maybe you shouldn't post as you aren't helping answer the question and you don't know the answer so you are just muddying the waters. If a new shooter or poster knows the answer then he definitely should post and tell his experiences. When I ask a question I don't want guesses. i want answers. Preferably from people with experience.

As to respect from new shooters, I will worry about that on my own. Don;t need your input on how I conduct myself. My posts here and other places, conduct at matches, always making time and meeting new shooters to help them out at my range and others and also teaching precision rifle around the country will be what I am judged by. Not you.

So why did you attack my post about testing? In response to my post you wrote that

What was that about? My post was the one above you were referring to. All I did was advocating Testing. So why pick on my post if you are OK with testing?
What was that about then?

Last edited:
I wasn't saying anything about testing. I test my scopes for tracking and tell everyone they should do that. Trust but verify. That is what the OP would be doing if he was told not to worry and shoot the rifle. He would be seeing that there is no problem but being told there was not going to be one is allowing him to do that without buying a new set of rings.Testing it himself. He doesn't have to get a notebook out and make notes but just shooting it and seeing will tell him.

The portion of your post "People who did it before can be wrong as those who have never done it. The rifle is different, so are the rings and mount. So his mileage might vary greatly!" is what I was talking about. I have a rifle with the same barrel, caliber, scope, rings and height off barrel but I could be as wrong as someone who is giving guess advice? That's BS.

I wasn't saying anything about testing. I test my scopes for tracking and tell everyone they should do that. Trust but verify. That is what the OP would be doing if he was told not to worry and shoot the rifle. He would be seeing that there is no problem but being told there was not going to be one is allowing him to do that without buying a new set of rings.Testing it himself. He doesn't have to get a notebook out and make notes but just shooting it and seeing will tell him.

The portion of your post "People who did it before can be wrong as those who have never done it. The rifle is different, so are the rings and mount. So his mileage might vary greatly!" is what I was talking about. I have a rifle with the same barrel, caliber, scope, rings and height off barrel but I could be as wrong as someone who is giving guess advice? That's BS.

I ll concede, and I ll say you make a good point
But! IF he ends up testing this, comes here and tells us it touches, You are going to get it! Cause you are really insisting here.

Last edited:
For the record my setup at the time was a savage 10flcp-k, 308, heavy fluted barrel, Burris Signature rings with the offset inserts, Burris 2 piece scope mounts, vortex viper PST 4-16x50. It was so close I could not put flip up lens covers on them without shaving the bottom almost completely off. The scope never touched the barrel.

I ll concede, and I ll say you make a good point
But! IF he ends up testing this, comes here and tells us it touches, You are going to get it! Cause you are really insisting here.

Me and every other poster here who has scopes set up the same as well. If it hits I will be as surprised as anyone. If he did the cap trimming job well enough there will be no problems with the cap hitting and the scope without the cap will definitely not hit.

Me and every other poster here who has scopes set up the same as well. If it hits I will be as surprised as anyone. If he did the cap trimming job well enough there will be no problems with the cap hitting and the scope without the cap will definitely not hit.

So have I by the way, and it didn't touch. But I constantly ran a dollar bill down there, till I got tired of my own constant suspicion and went with higher rings.

The irony is my take is not far from yours, but I d rather encourage self-discovery instead of blank acceptance. Barrels free float with less than that and don't touch, "thus free float" so
one wouldn't expect the touching in the opposite direction. But the minute someone asks a question like that, testing is the only real answer, because doubt is like a virus.
The OP won't rest till he sees this for himself.

Last edited:
I did end up buying a higher set of rings early in the thread because of all the comments about the scoping hitting. Still, I really don't want to use higher rings unless I HAVE to. In light of the fact that Rob01 is running the EXACT same setup without issue. I'm going to shoot the rifle, as is, and see what happens. The only thing that might be different about our rifles is the action. Mine is a Defiance Deviant. Perhaps there is some minor height difference in the action Rob01 is running. If all goes well the higher rings will be returned or sold.

Rob01, what is is your action? Also, I'm not sure there is enough room to get the the cap on with white out on it AND make sure it doesn't touch as I'm putting the cap on. My test was going to be to shoot the rifle without the cap first and then with the cap. Then I was going to look for significant changes in POI. Do you suggest any method of testing in particular? If I just start shooting it with the cap and nothing else, will it be unmistakable if there is contact? What signs should I be looking for?

I have been planning on getting to the range this Saturday, but it looks like it's going to be raining at the range through the whole weekend. I may end up going on Monday or the next weekend. I'm hoping the weather is better than the forecast.

I did end up buying a higher set of rings early in the thread because of all the comments about the scoping hitting. Still, I really don't want to use higher rings unless I HAVE to. In light of the fact that Rob01 is running the EXACT same setup without issue. I'm going to shoot the rifle, as is, and see what happens. The only thing that might be different about our rifles is the action. Mine is a Defiance Deviant. Perhaps there is some minor height difference in the action Rob01 is running. If all goes well the higher rings will be returned or sold.

Rob01, what is is your action? Also, I'm not sure there is enough room to get the the cap on with white out on it AND make sure it doesn't touch as I'm putting the cap on. My test was going to be to shoot the rifle without the cap first and then with the cap. Then I was going to look for significant changes in POI. Do you suggest any method of testing in particular? If I just start shooting it with the cap and nothing else, will it be unmistakable if there is contact? What signs should I be looking for?

I have been planning on getting to the range this Saturday, but it looks like it's going to be raining at the range through the whole weekend. I may end up going on Monday or the next weekend. I'm hoping the weather is better than the forecast.

Humble, ran on both Rem 700s with 20 MOA bases and a Surgeon. The height off the barrel is what is most important in the comparison. Not the same exact action. The Deviant is similar to those in base height.

You have a picture of the trimmed cap and space between barrel and it with it on scope? Do you plan on using the sunshade as well?

Put down some sort of dye/marker that will show contact. If you don't think you can put the cap on after putting it down then take the scope in the rings off the action, mark it and reinstall with cap on.

Looking for impact change is good also but actually seeing a mark will be more definitive.

Humble, ran on both Rem 700s with 20 MOA bases and a Surgeon. The height off the barrel is what is most important in the comparison. Not the same exact action. The Deviant is similar to those in base height.

You have a picture of the trimmed cap and space between barrel and it with it on scope? Do you plan on using the sunshade as well?

Put down some sort of dye/marker that will show contact. If you don't think you can put the cap on after putting it down then take the scope in the rings off the action, mark it and reinstall with cap on.

Looking for impact change is good also but actually seeing a mark will be more definitive.

Here is the pic after removing even more material from the bottom. At this point, I have taken off all I can get off. As it sits, I can get three bills through without resistance. Four bills hit resistance. According to my caliper, that means I have more than .013" but less than .017" of space between. When I wrote the first post I could only fit one bill through without resistance. It's hard to tell the minor difference in the pic, but maybe your eyes are better than mine.

I may run it with the sunshade, on occasion, but that will not be a regular thing. When I run it with the sunshade, it will probably not have any caps (or maybe some Butler Creeks that I don't have yet.)

I will remove the scope and rings to apply something under the cap and then put it back on that. That should work fine.

Your lenses will come loose from 'flex' before that will otherwise be a problem don't you think? Trim the cover bottom a few thou. flat If it looks tight to you.
ETA; Do what ever makes peace with you. That will benefit you best.

I have more than one rifle without enough clearance to slip a bikini cover on (including at least one Hensoldt).

Listen to Rob01.

And get out and shoot it.

Last edited:
Is this a serious question from the op? Did it really spark any debate? Op, if the scope lines up with or eye, ur good! If not, then you need to build up the stock, restock, or change rings.

Dammit, Rob, if you dispel the myth entirely, that's one less excuse we can use for not shooting one hole groups 'all day long'...

Try and grind the bottom of the cap flatter if possible as mentioned if it will make you feel a little better. You don't have to grind it round to follow original contour. Most who trim it down just grind flat.

Why not run the sunshade? I leave mine on as it's just more protection for the objective lens from dirt, water and dust and doesn't get in the way of anything or mess with view. If you put the cap on the end of the sunshade it will give more room as it will be farther down the barrel, even only slightly, and the barrel taper will give slightly more room. Just an idea for you.

Here is the pic after removing even more material from the bottom. At this point, I have taken off all I can get off. As it sits, I can get three bills through without resistance. Four bills hit resistance. According to my caliper, that means I have more than .013" but less than .017" of space between. When I wrote the first post I could only fit one bill through without resistance. It's hard to tell the minor difference in the pic, but maybe your eyes are better than mine.

I may run it with the sunshade, on occasion, but that will not be a regular thing. When I run it with the sunshade, it will probably not have any caps (or maybe some Butler Creeks that I don't have yet.)

I will remove the scope and rings to apply something under the cap and then put it back on that. That should work fine.

I'm with Rob. I run my rings as low as possible. I've ran them that low many many times. No issue as all. Ever. I've had them so low that I had to take a flash light and shine behind them just to make sure there was clearance enough to see light come thru. My current Schmidt/ARC M10 setup is that low and its shot just fine all year long.

Gosh, I wonder If I qualify as "experienced". Been shooting for 65 years and building my own rifles for over 40 of those years. Didn't have "youtube" back when I started.

BTW, didn't you say there was nothing wrong with verifying in a later post? I believe that's all I was telling the OP. I certainly hope that he does find there are no problems but what the heck is wrong with just setting his mind at ease by "testing". Beats the crap out of "wondering" when he's not shooting up to his expectation that there might be a problem.

Exerienced? Who cares! It makes you an old fool rather than a young one.

Gosh, I wonder If I qualify as "experienced". Been shooting for 65 years and building my own rifles for over 40 of those years. Didn't have "youtube" back when I started.

BTW, didn't you say there was nothing wrong with verifying in a later post? I believe that's all I was telling the OP. I certainly hope that he does find there are no problems but what the heck is wrong with just setting his mind at ease by "testing". Beats the crap out of "wondering" when he's not shooting up to his expectation that there might be a problem.

Congrats on shooting that long but I know guys who have been shooting since they were kids and are in their 40's and 50's and don't know dick all about running a scope, mounting one or shooting long range. Age, just like time on the Hide, doesn't make you an expert or know what you are doing. Maybe you do though so who knows.

No that's not all you said. Don't let the facts get in your way either.

No one likes a top heavy rifle,but I like to run enough clearance to attach a mirage band
on the barrel if I have to shoot a longer string and the barrel gets stinkin hot.
Don't mean to fuel anyones fire but a local comp shooter had this problem on his Sako.
With dollar bill scope to barrel clearance, he was struggling with 2 + moa groups and low scores
in comps at 500+ meters .
He fitted new rings after a talented local gunsmith found witness marks on scope and barrel ;
in the last comp he finished second after finishing in the back 10 places in previous comps.
Enjoy your shooting folks .

My ATACR was that close to the rail on my 762 PredatOBR. I fired a few shots, and removed the scope, and there was a 1mm line down the bell housing where it had made contact. I opted for higher rings to be on the safe side. Shoot it and see.

Snapped a pic for ya, OP
56mm obj, literally riding inside the top flute of the #7 contour bbl.
1E0E36F0-CDBA-4382-894F-24929ADCDD0B_zpsnicnpbk6.jpg

Can't even fit sanded down BC cap between obj & bbl, but there's no contact when firing.
Go shoot...

Unrelated to physical contact btwn optic/barrel but has anyone that runs this low had issues with mirage on longer strings? I swapped out a steiner 5-25 mil on europtic unimount (good clearance) with an nxs 8-32 on seekins low rings (very little clearance) and after the barrel heats up the image looks blurry. I like the cheek weld better low (manners t4 non adj) but I never had the steiner get blurry like that.

So, did you turn the "blurry" NF 8-32 down to 25 to see if the additional magnification was why it was blurry when the barrel heated up?

So, did you turn the "blurry" NF 8-32 down to 25 to see if the additional magnification was why it was blurry when the barrel heated up?
no but I'll try it this weekend. I was wondering if being closer by 3/8" or whatever was putting more heated air in front of the line of sight, while the one with more clearance had better airflow.

Last edited:
No one likes a top heavy rifle,but I like to run enough clearance to attach a mirage band
on the barrel if I have to shoot a longer string and the barrel gets stinkin hot.
Don't mean to fuel anyones fire but a local comp shooter had this problem on his Sako.
With dollar bill scope to barrel clearance, he was struggling with 2 + moa groups and low scores
in comps at 500+ meters .
He fitted new rings after a talented local gunsmith found witness marks on scope and barrel ;
in the last comp he finished second after finishing in the back 10 places in previous comps.
Enjoy your shooting folks .

Clearlight---

Seems like insufficient data here.......some of the Sako mounting arrangements I've noticed were kinda, er, cute....but dainty-lookin. In your opinion could it be that he just needed a better (more robust) set of mounts/rings for his scope?

Try and grind the bottom of the cap flatter if possible as mentioned if it will make you feel a little better. You don't have to grind it round to follow original contour. Most who trim it down just grind flat.

Why not run the sunshade? I leave mine on as it's just more protection for the objective lens from dirt, water and dust and doesn't get in the way of anything or mess with view. If you put the cap on the end of the sunshade it will give more room as it will be farther down the barrel, even only slightly, and the barrel taper will give slightly more room. Just an idea for you.

Rob,

I went back at the cap again. This time on the higher dremel setting. To my surprise it flattened the hell out of it. The small arc that was at the bottom is gone. It's amazing how much material you can remove without breaking these things. Now I can pass seven, but not 8, bills without making contact. Measurements of the bills conclude that I now have somewhere between .032" and .036" of clearance.

Looking at the clearance now, I seriously doubt that it will make contact. To my eyes, the barrel and/or scope would have to flex to the point of breaking to come into contact.

Thanks for all your help.

Clearlight---

Seems like insufficient data here.......some of the Sako mounting arrangements I've noticed were kinda, er, cute....but dainty-lookin. In your opinion could it be that he just needed a better (more robust) set of mounts/rings for his scope?

Good point, quite likely so: rings looked like thin budget Vortex or similar. His upgraded rings looked like Farrells, and were set further apart
than original setup. Had a chuckle at your evaluation of Sako"s non Mil mounts :) Hope the OP gets it sorted.