• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope desires of 2020! What are you looking for this year?

A purpose built long range hunting scope:

• 30mm tube.
  • Low profile 10 mil/rev elevation turret with large, easy to read numbers.
  • Zero stop.
  • Low profile capped windage.
  • 3-18x
  • 50mm objective
  • Adjustable parallax from 10 yards to infinity.
  • Reticle legs should be at 3, 6, and 9 o’clock.
  • Center portion of reticle should be .05 mils thick with tick marks every .2 mils out to 4 mils. 4 mils is plenty enough to allow for windage hold in a full value 30mph wind at 1000 yards and having bold posts at 4 mils allows bracketing of vitals in close range, low light scenarios.
  • Reticle should have bold post from 4 mils from center out to the edge of the field of view.
  • Post should be bold enough to clearly see at lowest magnification under bright moon light, allowing bracketing of vitals in low light.
  • Scope should track accurately, retain zero and return to zero 100% reliably.
  • Would be nice if it could be had at 24oz or less But bullet proof reliability trumps all.
John

#nx8

Great scope but very few of the specs outlined above. Definitely not a purpose built hunting scope.

John
? It hits all them except it’s 28oz and doesn’t have a thick reticle. But it has good illumination so not really a problem. Hardly meets “very few” of the specs

I’d love to get a Steiner P4Xi 1-4 with something else besides the P3TR reticle. Maybe SCR... I hate BDC reticles

? It hits all them except it’s 28oz and doesn’t have a thick reticle. But it has good illumination so not really a problem. Hardly meets “very few” of the specs

• 30mm tube. ??
  • Low profile 10 mil/rev elevation turret with large, easy to read numbers.??
  • Zero stop.??
  • Low profile capped windage.❓
  • 3-18x
  • 50mm objective??
  • Adjustable parallax from 10 yards to infinity. ??
  • Reticle legs should be at 3, 6, and 9 o’clock.??
  • Center portion of reticle should be .05 mils thick with tick marks every .2 mils out to 4 mils. 4 mils is plenty enough to allow for windage hold in a full value 30mph wind at 1000 yards and having bold posts at 4 mils allows bracketing of vitals in close range, low light scenarios.??????
  • Reticle should have bold post from 4 mils from center out to the edge of the field of view.??
  • Post should be bold enough to clearly see at lowest magnification under bright moon light, allowing bracketing of vitals in low light.??
  • Scope should track accurately, retain zero and return to zero 100% reliably.??
  • Would be nice if it could be had at 24oz or less But bullet proof reliability trumps all.
It certainly could be pressed into service as a hunting scope, but is hardly ideal. The reticle shortcomings for hunting are huge to me and NF’s available reticles are nothing like I described. I like well executed illumination but I don’t want to have to rely on it. I want to be able to shoot at last legal light if I accidentally run my battery dead. I don’t own a NX8 and it is not clear to me from their website if their windage turret is low profile and capped.

I get what you’re saying. It checks many of the boxes, but it could be the PERFECT all range hunting scope with the addition of a reticle similar to the specs outlined above. In a low light hunting scenario, reticle design is paramount.

John

Reactions: deersniper
I'd like to see 1" tubed scopes revisited! Why? to squeeze that extra weight out of a hunting scope and small scopes look great on small rifles.

#1 3-15x38 FFP, HUNTING specific.
#2 Weight 15oz
#3 Length 11"
#4 Wide-ish and locking 5 mil turrets with very distinct click feel, large numbers and lines for poor eyesight, rev indicator, a and zero stop.
#5 Wide-ish knob, 10Y close focus parallax.
#6 Thick-ish tree reticle/.06 mil with .2 mil hashes and .1 mil center dot, lines labeled on the outside of the tree every line starting at 2 mil, alternating font style for every mil hold for easy identification (like the first full mil below center use dots, second full mil use small +'s, third full mil use dots, 4th full mil use small +'s, and so forth. Outside bars starting 1 mil wide with sloping taper to a sharp point 5.2 mils away from center dot on all sides.
#7 Daylight bright illumination.
#8 Super nice glass.
#9 Old school classic glossy blued appearance. Because - camo tape come hunting season.

Reactions: jakelly and Schaaf
I am interested in the new vortex gen 3 1-10. I can't wait to see how it performs and what the market price will be after it has been out a few months.

I really like the APRS3 reticle from Athlon and their Midas TAC line.

It would be a perfect scope for me if they illuminated the center portion of the reticle. Not a fan of how they illuminated the entire reticle in the ETR line.

Illuminate:
Center dot
1 MIL above center dot
2 MIL left and right of center
4 MIL below center dot

Similar to the Burris SCR approach which I really like also.

Attachments

• 20200106_112632.jpg
    20200106_112632.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20200106_112734.jpg
    20200106_112734.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 24
I'd like to see 1" tubed scopes revisited! Why? to squeeze that extra weight out of a hunting scope and small scopes look great on small rifles.

#1 3-15x38 FFP, HUNTING specific.
#2 Weight 15oz
#3 Length 11"
#4 Wide-ish and locking 5 mil turrets with very distinct click feel, large numbers and lines for poor eyesight, rev indicator, a and zero stop.
#5 Wide-ish knob, 10Y close focus parallax.
#6 Thick-ish tree reticle/.06 mil with .2 mil hashes and .1 mil center dot, lines labeled on the outside of the tree every line starting at 2 mil, alternating font style for every mil hold for easy identification (like the first full mil below center use dots, second full mil use small +'s, third full mil use dots, 4th full mil use small +'s, and so forth. Outside bars starting 1 mil wide with sloping taper to a sharp point 5.2 mils away from center dot on all sides.
#7 Daylight bright illumination.
#8 Super nice glass.
#9 Old school classic glossy blued appearance. Because - camo tape come hunting season.

Maybe toward the end of the year or SHOT 2021.

ILya

Reactions: steve123
In my case, it is mostly an issue of what I think I will be testing in 2020.

1) Vortex Razor Gen 3 1-10x24 is at the top of my list. I had a long conversation with a gentleman from Vortex about it. He is not known for bullshitting, so this is at the top of my list.

2) March 4.5-28x52 and 5-42x56. I helped March with the reticle designs and I hope they will be available in these two scopes. Couple that with new wide angle eyepiece, and I definitely want to see these.

3) Tangent Theta Hunter 3-15x50. This has been a long time coming and as soon as there is a mrad version, I am getting one.

4) Revic. I think I's like to test one.

5) Steiner M7Xi 2.9-20x50, preferably with IFS.

6) Burris XTR III 3.3-18x50 with illuminated SCR2.

7) S&B has something new coming. I'd like to see it, but I am not sure if it will be available soon enough to fit my schedule. I definitely want to take a look at the 1-8x24 with MDR-T6 reticle.

9) Maybe March's baby Genesis, but we'll see.

There are a few other new things that should be coming mid-year, but the ones above are currently on my radar.

ILya

Reactions: CSTactical
Make 25 yard/meter lowest parallax a standard.

R

That's confusing. Are you saying that you want scopes to have their parallax set at 25 yards/meters?

On the other hand, my March scopes focus down to 10 yards; are you saying that minimum focus should be 25 yards instead? I find 10yards to be pretty useful verifying my setting using a boresight laser when I travel to competitions. I can do 30 feet indoors pretty easily, 75 feet would be more problematic.

Razor had gen II for my 6.5, potentially an nx8 4-32 for the hunting rig and just for kicks!

I want a Trijicon 8-80x AccuPower...
I love my 5-50x!

Illuminated tremor2 or tremor3 at a $1500 price range

That's confusing. Are you saying that you want scopes to have their parallax set at 25 yards/meters?

On the other hand, my March scopes focus down to 10 yards; are you saying that minimum focus should be 25 yards instead? I find 10yards to be pretty useful verifying my setting using a boresight laser when I travel to competitions. I can do 30 feet indoors pretty easily, 75 feet would be more problematic.
I believe he’s referring to the fact that most high-mag precision scopes focus no closer than 50 yards.

Exactly nobody says “This scope focuses too close.”

Not a scope but how about some new Swaro EL 10-12 x 42 LRF(real 3000 yd) Bino's that link to Kestrel w/target mil reticle for less than $4K.
I wish... doesn’t sound like it’ll happen. However... it does sound like Leica will

Reactions: duramaxed
For TT to retro-fit my Premier to the present level reticle and adjustment methods... I could go on to "just get one..." but who doesn't wish for that? (Would this be considered incendiary, instigating, or ignition?)

I believe he’s referring to the fact that most high-mag precision scopes focus no closer than 50 yards.

Exactly nobody says “This scope focuses too close.”

Wow, I thought all high-end scopes focused down to 10 yards. I went and checked my Nightforce NXS and by golly, you're right; 50 yards minimum focus. I've been spoled by March; i had not realized this was a common issue.

Wow, I thought all high-end scopes focused down to 10 yards. I went and checked my Nightforce NXS and by golly, you're right; 50 yards minimum focus. I've been spoled by March; i had not realized this was a common issue.

Most focus down to either 50 or 25 yards. Some Bushnells only focus down to 75 yards.

Overall, I think 50 used to be the most common. My Tangent Thetas focus down to 50, AMG to 25, March to 10..

With newer designs, 25 is becoming pretty standard.

One problem is that many manufacturers by trying to achieve extra close focus range really compormise the granularity of focus at long distances.

ILya

Reactions: Tac Beard
It is my understanding that the March scopes are quite popular in the Field Target Air Rifle circles, scopes like the 5-50X56 and the 8-80X56. This explains why they focus so closely. Also, I believe that's why they have the large focus wheels available for their scopes. At shorter distances, the criticality of the focus is greater, especially at higher magnifications, and these large focus wheels make it easy to focus crisply. I use one of those wheels on my March-X sitting on my F-TR rifle. It helps my arthritic hand to easily and surgically change the focus back and forth hunting for the mirage and then setting it back to the target for the shot.

Reactions: Earnhardt
I can’t stop buying cmp Unertls so what comes out this year is apparently moot for me.

Reactions: rcxrc
"...Post should be bold enough to clearly see at lowest magnification under bright moon light, allowing bracketing of vitals in low light."

To every scope mfg....stop d!@&'ing around and start coming out with more dual focal-plane scopes (so we can actually use those FFP reticle centers or a SFP overlay reticle/dot, ring, etc, preferably illuminated (& daylight visible), making the FFP's usable closer than only the bottom 1/2 or 2/3 of the magnification range) !!!

With my eyes, I can never really use the top 1/3-1/2 of the magnification range of a 3.5-21x, 5-25x etc FFP scope (like on the lowest power setting, for closer in stuff). Something similar to the Burris XTR II w/dual focal plane reticle, or the S&B PM-II 1-8x24 Shortdot Dual CC, but on the bigger scopes...

For real....

Last edited: