• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes scope elevation travel & correction

Crus75

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2008
Earth
I’m going thru this exercise for a gut check; pls bear with me..

my manual says I have 50” of interval elevation and windage travel at 100-yds. (@ .25” per clik).

I just checked the number of clicks I have and counted: 132 cliks UP & 90 cliks DOWN. (222 total)

So I assume at mechanical center, I have 111 or, I’ll just round to 100 since the cliks were getting tight at the top and at the bottom. This makes sense since 50” at 100-yds is 200 cliks overall interval travel.

Also, for ex. if my cartridge trajectory (25-06) at 900-yds is -258.4”, that would be 114.84 ‘come-up’ cliks for elevation correction? Which would be my max effective range..?

I just want to know if I need to go cross-town I can possibly take a realistic try at it… thanks

Yes you are correct, but it is best to think in either MOA, or MIL. In your case moa.

Just from your post one has to break out the calculator, bring it back to 100 convert to moa, then move it back out to 900. Your come up was approx 27.5 moa given that 1 moa = 1.047" @ 100Y.

Also thinking in clicks will drive you mad and causes frustration.

900 is pretty decent range, if you want more, then consider a canted base.

That helps.. Im teaching myself Milrads and moa and so far so good.. I have been shooting for a while just not out past 300 yds. I have been using Burris 10x scope to this point and has served me well - my crosshairs may not be totally suited to long range but I’m gonna give it a try anyway until I get a better scope..
I’m reading all the pertinant info and scope manuals I can … I am not sure if I’m going to go FFP or not, but it seems like a good choice with lots of reticle benefits, I’m not hellbent on FFP or SFP, just keeping options open. Thanks for the help.

Either moa or mil will work, not trying to turn this thread into an infamous moa vs mil, just try to match the reticle with the turrets. Once you get used to either it will be second nature.

FFP has the advantage of constant subtension at all ranges, so what you see is what you dial (impact wise), ranging as well.

SFP is nice in that the reticle size is constant, in a lower power scope i/e 2.5-10, the mag is usually dialed to max anyway.

some good reading http://www.austargets.com/mildottomoa.pdf

Last edited:
I’m going thru this exercise for a gut check; pls bear with me..

my manual says I have 50” of interval elevation and windage travel at 100-yds. (@ .25” per clik).

I just checked the number of clicks I have and counted: 132 cliks UP & 90 cliks DOWN. (222 total)

So I assume at mechanical center, I have 111 or, I’ll just round to 100 since the cliks were getting tight at the top and at the bottom. This makes sense since 50” at 100-yds is 200 cliks overall interval travel.

Also, for ex. if my cartridge trajectory (25-06) at 900-yds is -258.4”, that would be 114.84 ‘come-up’ cliks for elevation correction? Which would be my max effective range..?

I just want to know if I need to go cross-town I can possibly take a realistic try at it… thanks

moa at 900 yards is about 9". divide 9 into 258 and that will be 28.6moa. just an easier way to do it.

roggom, its tough for me to think in mil/moa at this time because I am working in theory only, so i don't have the tools to implement the system - scope is fine plex reticle, no graduation marks, .25" clicks (not moa)... but, I'm leaning towards milrads, when I do spring for a new scope..

I'm sure I'll have some more questions along the way..

-thanks!