• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for $1000

Cat64

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2013
North Louisiana
I know that perhaps this question has been asked many a times...but here it goes again. I have a $1000 budget to spend on a tactical scope. It will sit on a .308 single shot target rifle with a Shilen bull barrel and a McMillan A4 stock. I will shoot the rifle anywhere from 100 to 1000 yards mostly prone from a bipod. I mostly shoot targets and I do not hunt. I am interested in a scope with good glass, tactical exposed turrets, MOA reticle, larger magnification, and an objective of at least 50 mm. I have done some research and thus far number one on my list is the new Burris XTR 8-40X50. I am asking the guys on the forum for advice with pertinent explanations. Thank you.

Haven't spent much time with an 8x40. It was specifically designed for F-class competitions. I think you would be happier with a 3-15, 4-20, or 5-25. I've been shooting a 3-15 on an AR for a couple of months and it is a lot of scope for the money. Don't let the MILs deter you. The G2B is a great reticle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Call Scott at Liberty Optics. Bushnell DMR 3.5-21 with the G2 Reticle.

How about Bushnell Elite Tactical? This XRS 4.5-30x 50mm

Last edited:
I 2nd the bushnell. I just got the ERS with g2 reticle which is the same glass as the dmr. It was a nice upgrade over my vortex PST.

Another good option to add to the ones already listed is the Sightron SIII.

I also vote the Bushenll G2DMR. I just bought my second. They are a fantastic value for $1100 from Liberty Optics, or less if you buy used.

Call Scott at Liberty Optics. Bushnell DMR 3.5-21 with the G2 Reticle.

+1

You can save a little bit with the Vortex PST 6-24 ffp. I have one and love it. Very nice scope indeed.

I'm seeing used Nightforce 5.5-22x56 NXS' for the 1400 range. You can also get a good NF benchrest. Lots to choose from.

Sounds like you have already picked the best choice for what you want to do, the XTRII. The 8-40 is a purpose built optic, so you may want to look at the 5-25. I have a few of the XTRIIs, and while folks may recommend other options, I don't think there is anything close to them in terms of quality and value at their price point.

Unless you are under a timer (like seconds count), the 8-40 should not be a real issue.

Sounds like you have already picked the best choice for what you want to do, the XTRII. The 8-40 is a purpose built optic, so you may want to look at the 5-25. I have a few of the XTRIIs, and while folks may recommend other options, I don't think there is anything close to them in terms of quality and value at their price point.

Unless you are under a timer (like seconds count), the 8-40 should not be a real issue.

Where is a good place to turn for 34 mm rings decent quality without breaking the bank? It is between the Sightron SSIII 10-50X60 and the Burris XTR II 8-40X50 I think. For some reason the Sightron does not look so "tactically" if that makes sense. More of a benchrest scope to me. I like a lot the PST or a Bushnell but I want a bit more magnification. I end up a lot at the 1000 yard line and it makes a difference to me.

40x is pretty overkill on magnification, a 5-25 or thereabouts would be plenty. The XTRII is pretty nice, definitely some bang for buck. Personally I think the knobs on the Bushnells feel better and the locking turrets are a nice bonus. Around a grand a Bushnell DMR is going to be hard to feel regretful about and they maintain their value pretty well. Maybe check the for sale section and get one used for less.

For rings, TPS on the budget end with Seekins, Badger, and Nightforce on the high end.

Where is a good place to turn for 34 mm rings decent quality without breaking the bank? It is between the Sightron SSIII 10-50X60 and the Burris XTR II 8-40X50 I think. For some reason the Sightron does not look so "tactically" if that makes sense. More of a benchrest scope to me. I like a lot the PST or a Bushnell but I want a bit more magnification. I end up a lot at the 1000 yard line and it makes a difference to me.

Both good choices, and if you want a MOA based reticle, among your very few $1k options. I would also consider the Sightron 8-32x56mm, because it is less huge than the 10-50x60 and I'm skeptical of how often your shooting conditions will allow use of more then 32 power. I've used a Sightron 6-24x50 out to 600 yards with no issues, and tracking that seems perfect.

If you get the XTR and need 34mm rings, check out the Griffin Orion rings for $115:
Griffin Armament Scope Rings | Griffin Armament ORION Rings OFM34H

And I would also look into PRI rings (available at Midway or direct from PRI) and TPS, both of those also in the just over $100 price range.

Both good choices, and if you want a MOA based reticle, among your very few $1k options. I would also consider the Sightron 8-32x56mm, because it is less huge than the 10-50x60 and I'm skeptical of how often your shooting conditions will allow use of more then 32 power. I've used a Sightron 6-24x50 out to 600 yards with no issues, and tracking that seems perfect.

If you get the XTR and need 34mm rings, check out the Griffin Orion rings for $115:
Griffin Armament Scope Rings | Griffin Armament ORION Rings OFM34H

And I would also look into PRI rings (available at Midway or direct from PRI) and TPS, both of those also in the just over $100 price range.

Good insight. Thank you. I will definetelly look into the Sightron you mentioned. Are there any other decent option with magnificaiton not lower than 32?

Magnification that high is pretty specialized, and more so if you want an MOA reticle. Nightforce benchrest models, the 8-32x56mm NXS, and the new Leupold VX-6 7-42x (also meant for F Class) come to mind. All of those are going to be well over $1k unless you find a good deal on a used one. If you could do milrads, there's a brand new Weaver that looks interesting, but it looks like only one person has seen it in person yet:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...57027-weaver-34mm-6-30x56-tactical-scope.html

Oh, and make sure your scope base and scope combination gives you enough elevation to get out to 1000 yards comfortably. A 20 MOA base would probably be a good idea.

20 MOA base will likely be something you want...to that end, with the rings, Burris does makes 34mm XTR rings. Warne, Seekins, Badger are all mount manufacturer's whose bases and mounts I have used without any issues.

I think if you look through the glass of the optics you are considering, over the range of conditions, you will find the XTR glass is going to be hard to beat.

20 MOA base will likely be something you want...to that end, with the rings, Burris does makes 34mm XTR rings. Warne, Seekins, Badger are all mount manufacturer's whose bases and mounts I have used without any issues.

I think if you look through the glass of the optics you are considering, over the range of conditions, you will find the XTR glass is going to be hard to beat.

Thank you. I already have the 20 MOA base purchased. I hit the button and ordered the XTR 8-40X50. I will receive it in a few days. Thank you all for the knowledgeable answers.

Got the new XTR 8-40X50 to the range today and tried it at different distances and magnification powers (didn't install it on a rifle yet). Well, I am totally not sure if I should keep this scope or send it back. The glass is ok but not too sharp/clear at higher magnification (the downfall was I had as comparison on the bench my NF Competition which has superb picture). Also, to me, the reticle becomes WAY large at x40. Liked all the rest....turrets, illumination, size, weight, FFP concept, "look", zero stop, etc. decision time in a few days.

Trijicon acogs are awesome scopes for around a G most go on AR's but they certainly make them per-calibrated for other calibers

Trijicon acogs are awesome scopes for around a G most go on AR's but they certainly make them per-calibrated for other calibers

Kinda hard to hit a target at 1000 yards with an Acog...at least repeatably.

Sightron SIII 8-32 or 10-50 with the moa-2 reticle. 10-50 without illumination should be under $1000. Excellent reticle, excellent optics, excellent tracking, excellent customer service.

Put me on the Vortex Viper PST FFP 6-24 bandwagon. I have that on my .308 700P and another PST FFP 2.5-10 on my precision 20" AR build. Both are hard to beat IMO in your price range and great values for the buck.

Don't get away from the Burris the reticle gives some nice options for aiming at small stuff.. and seekins are a great pair of rings that will go nicely with it. scope also has a 20moa reticle built into it that you can see on any magnification 30 and below.. the illumination is a nice little add on for diming light.. good zero stop.. function for target purpose you are going to be hard pressed to beat the scope...

Don't get away from the Burris the reticle gives some nice options for aiming at small stuff.. and seekins are a great pair of rings that will go nicely with it. scope also has a 20moa reticle built into it that you can see on any magnification 30 and below.. the illumination is a nice little add on for diming light.. good zero stop.. function for target purpose you are going to be hard pressed to beat the scope...
Derrick, although I love all the features you mentioned the glass is not in the same class with the HD glass on my NF Competition. The reticle gets very large at higher magnification making it rather difficult to even spot your own shots, and the quality of the picture past x25 diminishes considerably. I returned the scope and put some money I saved for the McMillan stock I am awaiting and ordered a second NF Competition (got a decent discount). I appreciate your input.
P.S. I know, that every shot I would have taken through that scope would have been compared in my mind with my other scope and I would have been always thinking.....you understand.

Kinda hard to hit a target at 1000 yards with an Acog...at least repeatably.

Trijicon makes a few models other than the ACOG line. For this discussion we'll limit the options to the Accupoint line. As already mentioned, the glass is pretty good. It also fits the OP's budget. There are several choices available. I cant speak as to the quality of the Accupoint because I've not shot w/ it. I do believe that Trijicon has established itself as being a reputable company.

If you can scrounge together a bit more cash you'll see that the Vortex Razor gen I's are going for about $1350.00. Just recently saw this myself, smokin' hot deal on an awesome optic.