• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for a 300 Rum

KenRUM

Private
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2019
Fruita, CO
The scope will be going on a 300 Rum as stated in the title. The rifle is a Red Hawk Rifles blueprinted 700 action mated to a 26" Proof carbon barrel. Layed into McMillan stock (full action bedded) with a Timney Calvin Elite trigger.

Now I'm trying to figure out glass,

90% of the time it'll be target shooting steel in Western Colorado. Although it'll also be my main critter getter (elk, deer, bear, etc).

I'm between the Vortex AMG and the Athlon Cronus. I've seen some used AMG's for around the same prices as a new Cronus (1800) on Armslist. I know the AMG retails for closer to 2500 new.

I'm sure I'll be nailed to the cross for saying this. However I feel like after a certain dollar amount there is a certain amount of diminishing returns, as opposed to a 300 dollar to 1200 dollar scope.

What are your guys thoughts on both? Pros/Cons? How comparable are the 2?

Both of mine wear Nightforce NXS 8-32X56! The only "diminishing return" is not having it when you need it.

Reactions: KenRUM
For a RUM cartridge, that has NF 7-35 written all over it!! It’s a FFP, has power to spare, and is CLEAN on the high end as compared to so many that start to get cloudy or grainy on the higher settings.
Since you have obviously spent the time and $$ to build a serious rifle, no reason not to get the scope right. But once cry once. When you are set up glassing a ridge in Colorado and you see that beautiful 6 point bull elk, that 35X NF is going to seem AWESOME!!!

Curious about the responses you get. I too have a 300 RUM but it’s still factory and my next project. I went with a local Smith’s recommendation on a scope after having him thread the barrel for a break. He recommended a Sightron SIII to sum it up it holds zero but parallax has to be adjusted every other shot. So I now am with the buy once cry once crowd.

I run a Premier Heritage 5-25x56 on my .300RUM. But a S&B PMII 5-25x56 would work just as well. Or a Tangent Theta TT525P. Even a TT315P would be plenty. They ARE worth the cost. Way...WAY better glass than a Vortex AMG. I have shot behind 6 or 7 of the AMGs. No comparison.

For a RUM cartridge, that has NF 7-35 written all over it!! It’s a FFP, has power to spare, and is CLEAN on the high end as compared to so many that start to get cloudy or grainy on the higher settings.
Since you have obviously spent the time and $$ to build a serious rifle, no reason not to get the scope right. But once cry once. When you are set up glassing a ridge in Colorado and you see that beautiful 6 point bull elk, that 35X NF is going to seem AWESOME!!!

The new MIL XT looks to be a runner in the 7-35X. Perhaps I'll just get the pain over with and get one on the way! ?