• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for DT Covert 6.5/300 Norma

Scwalker83

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2019
I've recently acquired a DT a2 covert. Sold my a2 SRS.

The 6.5 barrel is 18 inches and the 300 nm barrel is 28.

This isn't a comp rifle, only hunting and elr. I realize for true elr I should've gone with a tubb xc offering but my largest suppressor is only .30 compatible. I want to keep the same scope on the rifle for both activities.

Currently a MK8 3.5-25 sits on the rifle right now which in my opinion is a highly underrated optic when it is viewed as a whole.

My issues with it are the size, not weight, and the fact that illumination isn't daylight visible. If it was daylight visible I could overlook the size. At 3.5 the reticle is difficult to use with the 7.1x erector in the mk8 lineup.

I'd like to maintain the same optic on the rifle, have a decent low end with a daylight visible reticle as well as having a top end that is more than 20x that still maintains a small form factor.

Is my only option the hensoldt 3-26? I'm not even certain if illumination is daylight visible? Finding a h59 variety is probably challenging and will be well north of 5. For the price I should just buy 2 scopes.

Please share your thoughts.

Congrats on the rifle, that is what I’d get if DT supported AI mags. With the 18” barrel you’ll want a shorter scope so I’d focus on the ultra shorts. The ZCO zc420 is at the top and the Kahles K318i has the brightest illumination while the Schmidt 3-20 is not daylight bright. Another option for you may be the new March 4.5-28x52 which has the same dimensions as the ZC420 but offers higher top end mag. However, this scope is still prototype and nobody knows how good it will be, hopefully they’ll be available towards fall.
The new Leica PRS 5-30 is also pretty short so that might be an option with it’s generous FOV but no idea how good illumination will be.

Appreciate the insight into the ultra shorts. Really been what I've wanted to do is go that direction. The reality is the rifle will see little use compared to my comp rifles and it takes along time to go out far enough for 2k+ to make the norma worthwhile. But damn I just want something that does small and elr and has good illumination lol. I guess I should just wish into one hand...

Cronus has great illumination and is decently short. Also inexpensive compared to most of these offerings.

The 3-15 zp5 is something I really want to try.

Appreciate the insight into the ultra shorts. Really been what I've wanted to do is go that direction. The reality is the rifle will see little use compared to my comp rifles and it takes along time to go out far enough for 2k+ to make the norma worthwhile. But damn I just want something that does small and elr and has good illumination lol. I guess I should just wish into one hand...

Cronus has great illumination and is decently short. Also inexpensive compared to most of these offerings.

The 3-15 zp5 is something I really want to try.
Based on your original post I was thinking you wanted to go higher than 20x, but if you feel comfortable with 3-15x then definitely take a look at the ZP5 and of course the TT315P, I recommend the P over the M because with the Norma you may be going out to the 2k range and the P offers more travel (28 mrad). The ZP5 and TT315P are essentially the same in all the specs and while the TT may have the edge in IQ the ZP5 is right behind. I did a review of a bunch of these scopes last year - https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...i-v-schmidt-ultra-shorts-v-minox-zp5.6953016/

Not trying to persuade you either way but sometimes the comparisons help. One area the ZCO really excels is travel, it and the Schmidt have 35 mils of elevation, but the ZCO has better turrets than the Schmidt (though I'm hoping the new DTII turrets are an improvement over the 18 mil DT turrets they have been using). The Kahles K318i has excellent IQ and 30 mrad of elevation but does have a narrower FOV, but if you really like the SKMR3 reticle I have no issue recommending this scope as it reigned as my personal favorite ultra short until the ZCO came out, it is shorter and optically better than the Schmidt at higher mags and I like the reticle a lot more than what Schmidt has to offer.

I've recently acquired a DT a2 covert. Sold my a2 SRS.

The 6.5 barrel is 18 inches and the 300 nm barrel is 28.

This isn't a comp rifle, only hunting and elr. I realize for true elr I should've gone with a tubb xc offering but my largest suppressor is only .30 compatible. I want to keep the same scope on the rifle for both activities.

Currently a MK8 3.5-25 sits on the rifle right now which in my opinion is a highly underrated optic when it is viewed as a whole.

My issues with it are the size, not weight, and the fact that illumination isn't daylight visible. If it was daylight visible I could overlook the size. At 3.5 the reticle is difficult to use with the 7.1x erector in the mk8 lineup.

I'd like to maintain the same optic on the rifle, have a decent low end with a daylight visible reticle as well as having a top end that is more than 20x that still maintains a small form factor.

Is my only option the hensoldt 3-26? I'm not even certain if illumination is daylight visible? Finding a h59 variety is probably challenging and will be well north of 5. For the price I should just buy 2 scopes.

Please share your thoughts.

The ZCO 420 goes on the DT Covert like whiskey and hookers :ROFLMAO:

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...com-and-customers-photos.6958254/post-8072882

1573273278622-png.7180002

We're big fans of the MDT Ckyepod

You're big fans of everything expensive, is there any cheap stuff you sell, you guys have cost me a lot of money over the years from Kahles, to Steiner to Minox and other sundry items :ROFLMAO: I'm in my cheap mode right now which means I will not accept any of your calls Richard because every time you do I seem to spend more money.

• Haha
Reactions: CSTactical
You're big fans of everything expensive, is there any cheap stuff you sell, you guys have cost me a lot of money over the years from Kahles, to Steiner to Minox and other sundry items :ROFLMAO: I'm in my cheap mode right now which means I will not accept any of your calls Richard because every time you do I seem to spend more money.

We do sell Harris 6x9 bipods which are like $110 :)

• Haha
Reactions: Glassaholic
@wjm308 How do you think I feel that I can't afford much of this stuff myself... My kids and location are super expensive, even with a sugar mama ;)
Yes, you picked the wrong place to live for "cheap", but Colorado isn't much better, cost of living is brutal out here, never used to be that way... hmmm, a sugar mama, where do you get them, do they grow on trees :D

• Haha
Reactions: CSTactical
Cyke pod and Harris are the two I own and the Harris with pod-loc and spiked feet has been with me since I got into this game. I've sold quite a few atlases and such.

Thanks, been looking to get another bipod, this might be ideal for my SPR rig, how sturdy are they?

@wjm308, This is probably out-dated, but I just came across this thread and that is my rifle with the Magpul bipod on it that @CSTactical posted.

It's not sturdy at all. It's what you would expect from a plastic, sub-$100 bipod.

That being said, I've shot quarter-moa groups at 300 yards off of it, and I bang steel at 1000 yards all day long from a 16" 308. That's all because of the rifle/glass of course, but clearly the bipod doesn't seem to be holding me back.

I want a Ckye-Pod, and the rifle deserves one, but I spent all my money for this decade on the rifle/glass. :(

Last edited:
^^^ I understand about spending all the money for the decade on a rig, I have a sweet AI AT with a ZCO on it right now that I feel the same way about, very nice rig by the way and it should serve you well for more than a decade ;). Love those Desert Tech Coverts and would probably own one but cannot stand their magazines (if DT ever figured out how to make their rifle work with AI magazines I'd be all over that). Thanks for the update on the Magpul bipod, I think it is an intriguing option for an AR style rifle and may grab one up just because I like the minimalist design for one of my AR's.