• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for M1A - Athlon, Viper - Sub $800 - Can't Decide

psychbiker

Private
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2013
I'm a scope newb and looking for a decent piece of glass for my M1A. Max I can shoot is 200 yards BUT I figure to buy a decent scope once and be set. I bought a Primary Arms ASCCS (whatever its called). It was their first offering of the 308 line of scopes. After 50 rds the reticle twisted on me. I sent it back. That was 2 years ago and they've since added lifetime warranty to their scopes.

I came across Athlon last night and like their new Helos 6-24x50 scope for $500. Their Argo BTR in 6-24 is going for $380 which I think is on par with Primary Arms and their 4.5-27x50 Midas is also $550. Can't tell the difference between then Midas BTR or Helos BTR yet.

I was looking at used Vortex PST in 4-16 or larger, seems ebay has them for $800. I think Vortex would be the only scope I'd go that much on.

As for mounting on my M1A, I have a Basset mount and a plastic cheek weld to install on my stock. It's the plastic stock.

Thanks for the info.

The Helos line are FFP scopes and the Midas are SFP scopes.

Our pleasure to hook you up with special SH member pricing. Please give us a call to discuss what we can do for you.

Thank you for your continued support.
If there is anything else we can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Rd
Old Bethpage NY 11804
516-217-1000
Please visit our website @ www.cameralandny.com

I have a vortex 4-12 (not sure of the model, got it on a trade from a friend) on mine using a Bassett low mount. I've only had it out twice with this set up but I was very satisfied. Both times were at 100 and 200.

If that’s a used gen1 pst I would go Athlon all the way. Well I’d go Athlon regardless... but especially so in that case. The 6-24 pst was better than the 4-16 by far and might be a little tougher decision. And def give Doug a call.

"Cheap" scopes and M1A/M14 pattern rifles don't mix very well. That rifle is rough on scopes, for whatever reason. Mine is sporting a Leupold Mk4 and it's seen well north of 3000 rounds. A less expensive scope that seems to hold up on them is the Bushnell fixed 10x scope. Or I guess you can get a Vortex and use the warranty...