• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for Mammoth Sniper Challenge Secondary Rifle (.223)

bonesaw00001

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2019
Hi Y'all,

I'm new to precision rifles but fairly proficient with pistol/carbine shooting. I'm hoping to tackle the Mammoth Sniper Challenge in 2021 with a buddy with similar experience. To that end, I'm looking to pick up a new scope for my AR chambered in .223 as the secondary rifle for our team. As such, what would most folks recommend?

For the suggested details:
  • What is the platform for the scope? Semi-Auto, Rifle, AR
  • What cartridge are you shooting? .223; may eventually swap this onto another rifle up to a .308
  • What is your intended use for the scope? PRS competition with rucking
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Daylight/lowlight
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? Up to 600 yards (as I understand the competition)
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? Mil-dots, decently light and durable
  • What is the price range you can afford? <$1000, preferably <$500

Thank you!

I really like the Vortex PST G2, the 3-15x44 would do well for your intended use.

Attachments

• 20190930_215222.jpg
    20190930_215222.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 57

In your price range and best buy in optics right now hands down. I have one of these and my hunting buddy has several too. They are reliable and made by LOW in Japan. It is a reliable and simple optic. Much fewer reported problems than a PST gen 2 scopes have had. Good reticle. Especially for an AR platform. They are a steal at current prices. Illuminated version is also available and $50 rebate is available too.

I have been on the same search as you for a month now (approx. $500 scope). I was dead set on the vortex hs-t 4x16 until I read a few threads on a different forum that were pretty negative on vortex in general. The vortex as a lot of features for the money and basically everything I want. I really just wonder how it would compare optically side by side a leupold vx2 or vx3 in low light conditions. It seems like the only thing I can find online is opinions from people that own one or the other so they are obviously biased. I had the opportunity to look through a vortex pst and was very impressed and I think that I would be satisfied with it.

Have a 5 25 pst2 and really like it.got rid of my 4 16 hst as didn't like the fussy eye box. Replaced it with a athlon midas tac 4 16. It is much nicer glass and turrets and has capped windage which good if rucking.

I have been on the same search as you for a month now (approx. $500 scope). I was dead set on the vortex hs-t 4x16 until I read a few threads on a different forum that were pretty negative on vortex in general. The vortex as a lot of features for the money and basically everything I want. I really just wonder how it would compare optically side by side a leupold vx2 or vx3 in low light conditions. It seems like the only thing I can find online is opinions from people that own one or the other so they are obviously biased. I had the opportunity to look through a vortex pst and was very impressed and I think that I would be satisfied with it.

I owned a 4-16x44 HST and a 4.5-14x40 Mark 4 at the same time. I really liked the Leupold, ore than the Vortex but actually kept the Vortex as the Mark 4 had a very small FOV at 4.5x and the scope was going to be used for hunting.
I used the HST for a few years and it worked well, but the glass was pretty average and the eyebox was just way too tight.
The scope tracked well and was reliable, a friend has a 4-26x50 PST and 6-24x50 PST and they've given him no problems.

I know have a PST Gen 2 5-25 and it is leaps and bounds better than the HST every was, it's just not even comparable.
I recently had a chance to compare it too a Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x50, I liked the Vortex far more than the Ares, I'd compared the same Ares to my VX5hd a previous range session and again thought the VX5 was a far nicer scope.

Hi Y'all,

I'm new to precision rifles but fairly proficient with pistol/carbine shooting. I'm hoping to tackle the Mammoth Sniper Challenge in 2021 with a buddy with similar experience. To that end, I'm looking to pick up a new scope for my AR chambered in .223 as the secondary rifle for our team. As such, what would most folks recommend?

For the suggested details:
  • What is the platform for the scope? Semi-Auto, Rifle, AR
  • What cartridge are you shooting? .223; may eventually swap this onto another rifle up to a .308
  • What is your intended use for the scope? PRS competition with rucking
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Daylight/lowlight
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? Up to 600 yards (as I understand the competition)
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? Mil-dots, decently light and durable
  • What is the price range you can afford? <$1000, preferably <$500

Thank you!
I have had a Vortex PST and an Athlon Argos BTR, both 6-24. Sold the Vortex and getting ready to sell the athlon. The PST was "OK". There was nothing really wrong with it other than what i had was MOA. But it didn't stand out for anything either. The Athlon has the worst zero stop,It has to be shimmed for a hard stop. But I like the reticle better. The magnification ring was also super stiff.
So controls and glass- Vortex PST reticle - Athlon

My 308 now has a nightforce shv 4-14, which i really like. Yes its more money but worth it in my opinion. I also just bought a Leupold Mark 5 but thats way out of the price range.

For what it's worth two Viper PST Gen 2 scopes broke in my squad at the 2019 GAP Grind. Neither scope would hold its zero. The elevation would shift as much as .8mil after a 8-10 rounds. Personally I would look for a scope that is more durable if you plan to ruck/race with it for two days. Mammoth and SAC are tough on gear from what I hear.

As others have said do yourself a favor and get the most durable scope you can afford. It would really suck to be half way through a match that you have sunk all that time and money into and have your optic go down because you were trying to save a few hundred dollars. If you buy a good quality optic you will get many years of good service out of it. I would give Doug at Cameraland a call. He knows what they sell the most of and what scopes have the most issues. I have one of the bushnell DMRii scopes they have on sale right now and it seems like a real tank. Based on what I have read they are pretty tough. Doug will be able to give you a lot more feedback on optics failures than most of us here will though since that is his business.

FWIW I think I would steer clear of the lower tier Vortex optics. I’ve just heard way too many horror stories about optics failing in matches and have seen it happen a few times myself.

As I stated earlier the Bushnell LRTS/LRHS is an excellent scope. At the price they are going for I think its a no brainer. All scopes from different brands break, and have problems, even scopes that say Nightforce on them. But I hear far less reports of an LRTS failure than an PST failure. I personally wouldn't own a vortex scope that didn't say Razor on it for the same reasons Eoddave mentioned. I have an AMG and it has been problem free for almost 2 years now. The LRTS is an excellent scope for an SPR type role. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Good luck.