• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Scope Help?

mwt1980

Private
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2010
United States
Hey..I am new to long range precision shooting.

I built myself a silly accurate DPMS LR308...

I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction as to how the hell i use my scope and make adjustments based on distance, windage, and elevation.

I have a leupold Mk4 that is dialed in at 100-300 yards, but once i get out to further distances where i would need to make adjustments i can't hit the wide side of a barn.

Where can i go to read/learn how to use my scope?

I know the rifle can be effective out to 800 yards.

Re: Scope Help?

The computer that I linked to above will help you figure it out.

you need to learn about ballistics for long range shooting. You need to know your zero distance, bullet type, muzzle velocity, and scope's height above the bore at a minimum, With this data, you can print out a "drop chart" that estimates how much elevation to dial into your scope turret allowing a first-round hit....depending on the wind and how well you adjust for that also.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bulldog55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I know the rifle can be effective out to 800 yards. </div></div>

A lot of us are on paper at 1300yrds. You're not subsonic until 1200yrds so don't fall for the .308/800yrd crap.