• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Magnification for LR

bear58

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2011
Southern AZ
So I've built my LR range rig and trying to decide on optics. What max magnification do you all use for LR shooting 1000 -1200 yards. Is 15X enough or would you recommend 20X or more. Whatever I choose will be a FFP. Let me know what you all think.
Thanks for your time.

Re: Scope Magnification for LR

I've shot comps with as low as 10x and competed quite well, but I prefer around 12x or 15x. Anything more than 20x is just a little too much for me because it just zooms in on a VERY wavy target with all the mirage.

Oh, and my comp is out to 1000 yards.

I'm sure mirage will play hell with me here in Arizona. Thanks Remau. Good point.

I don't shoot comps. I shoot at 10x and hit steel at 1130 with no problem.

15x is enough for that range with crisp quality glass, but I prefer an upper range of 22-25x. You can always dial down if there is mirage, but target ID can't be done with too low of mag.

3-15x is nice if you need the lower range for targets inside 100 yards or moving targets. 5-22/25x is nice for target shooting and if you mostly shoot at longer ranges, eg beyond 800 yards.

Yeah, no rifle comps for me either, just pistol (IPSC, etc) When I get with my rifles it's for pure relaxation. But who knows......Thanks for the input.

I find my PH runs between 17 and 20x despite a max mag of 25. 25 power is nice for the RARE occasion that I get to run it due to mirage.

Members of the hide have given me compelling arguments from both sides. Anyone else? I just don't want to over or under power my future purchase. Thanks again for your input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">15x is enough for that range with crisp quality glass, but I prefer an upper range of 22-25x. You can always dial down if there is mirage, but target ID can't be done with too low of mag.

3-15x is nice if you need the lower range for targets inside 100 yards or moving targets. 5-22/25x is nice for target shooting and if you mostly shoot at longer ranges, eg beyond 800 yards. </div></div>

+1

I agree, having the extra power to positively identify targets is nice and you can always dial back down.

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going more magnification than less. I guess it better to have more and not use it, but it's there if you need it.

Agree with something between 14 and 16 for being a good choice out to 1000 and even beyond. Too much and the mirage will play tricks with you. Not enough you can't see the smaller targets. Just get good clear glass, we use the Viper PST 4-16 and really like them.

Topstrap

Is there a disadvantage to using a higher mag scope (20X+) w/ FFP and dialing down (14X-16X) to beat out mirage vs. high end magnification @ say 15X? Almost all of my hunting scopes are 14X or less, so I don't know if I'm missing out or not.

I believe it has a lot to do with how crisp your picture is.
A hi power scope is no good if the picture is fuzzy vs a lower power scope with a nice crisp picture. So u can get all the magnification you won't but if you can't make out the target its no good.

I like having the extra power (20-24) also. Downside is sometimes a little larger, heavier scope. If you're looking at the night force NXS, the 3.5-15 and 5.5-22 are essentially same size and weight.
I've shot with guys who shot fixed 10x at long range who have shot better than I could. A lot depends on your skill level.

Well did someone bother to ask how big of a target he's shooting at???

IF he's shooting at a 4'x4' board at 1000yds he might not need a 20x scope...

He'll certainly need more if he's trying to hit a pop can.

More information is always better.

I have a 4-14x50 and to be truthful should of opted for more was plan on my eyes going south as fast as they have. So depend on age eye sight and what ever else might be counted more is better and like they said can always back it up if it's to much but really hard to get more when you don't have it.

All good points. For now about a 12" square, but aspire to make shots on smaller targets as I gain a higher skill level. Thanks for all the input everyone has given. I have decided on variable with max 20+X. That hopefully will give me more options on longer and smaller targets but be able to dial down if mirage is beating the sh*t out of me.

Good choice. Its better to have the power at the top end if needed. I run all 5-25 scopes. I usually use them between 10-15x but nice to have the higher power for precise work or spotting.