• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope mount for AR-15.

BadAtGuns

Private
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2014
I'm not really sure what to look for in an AR scope mount. I don't need a mount that has to survive being repeatedly being thrown down a rocky face, but I want it to be durable enough so that it doesn't loosen over time after repeated shooting, bouncing around in the car on the way to the range (in a bag, of course), etc. Cantilevered would be preferable, as I am a tall guy and I'll be very forward on the rifle. QD isn't something I'll really need because I won't be switching between optics/irons, but I'll look into it if it's affordable without compromising integrity.

I've heard mixed reviews about the burris P.E.P.R. mounts, what do you guys think?

Thank you.

I have a Larue LT104 mount that I use on 16" carbine and just ordered a American Defensive Manufacturing Recon mount for a 20" 6.5 Grendel. I am 6'4" so I understand your pain for eye relief. They are quick release mounts but I rarely take them off, but it's nice have have that feature when you need it.

If it needs to be cheap but doable, then the PEPR, and when it breaks, but another…….if it does. Otherwise buy an ADM or Larue or Nightforce etc and be done with it.

If your a tall guy and don't, or can't , smash your head down into the stock to get a good sight picture you'll want to consider the ADM Recon H at 1.95"……………..or another top tier with a 1.93" height etc. Repeatability should determine what works best For You, and that may cost a bit via buy and try, but maybe you have some friends that can give you a running start, or the local range rambo.

I have 3 ADM Recon S mounts , 4 LaRue and 6 Burris PEPR mounts. All have served well. For the biggest bang for the dollar i'd go with the Burris PEPR mount. I have them on 308 and 556 semi's and none have ever given me a single problem. I prefer their non QD version (~$80) although thee QD version has been trouble free. My next choice would be the ADM QD Recon mount (~$172).

I use a DNZ Freedom Reaper 5.66 1" tube mount.

It arguably isn't as "good" as some of the top tier mounts mentioned upthread and it isn't QD, but it is about the lowest mount available, has 20MOA of cant, has been very solid and is priced right.

YMMV, etc.

I have a Larue LT104 mount that I use on 16" carbine and just ordered a American Defensive Manufacturing Recon mount for a 20" 6.5 Grendel. I am 6'4" so I understand your pain for eye relief. They are quick release mounts but I rarely take them off, but it's nice have have that feature when you need it.

+1 although I wish the La Rue cantilever pushed the optic out just a little further.

OR

If you are bleeding cash get a Spuhr

Here's my Leupold Mark 4 1.5-5x20 in FDE ADM AD-Recon QD mount and my Leupold 3.5-10x4- in FDE ADM AD-Recon 20moa QD mount both with the Tactical Levers. I can easily switch between optics for more or less magnification with these QD mounts and zero is dead on every time.

Last edited:
OP says QD not needed, gets whole bunch of QD responses.

If you don't need QD, a set of rings will work great. There are fewer failure points and they will weigh less than buying some sort of mount. You will need to torque to spec from time to time, but that will always be the case.

I like Seekins.

JP Enterprise makes a great cantilever mount that is very well priced. I'm not too hot on the PEPR. My scopes tend to slip on my PEPR no matter how hard I tighten the screws.

JP Enterprise makes a great cantilever mount that is very well priced. I'm not too hot on the PEPR. My scopes tend to slip on my PEPR no matter how hard I tighten the screws.

What caliber are your PEPR mounts mated to? I have 6 PERR mounts, but on nothing bigger than 308, on 30mm scopes. 4 Nightforce and 2 Leupold's and none have ever slipped on me with the rings torqued to 18" pounds.