• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope mounting issues please help.

flynlow3

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2010
IL, EFFINGHAM
Hello,

I am helping a friend of mine with putting a scope on his Remington 5R mil spec. The scope is a Nightforce that was previously on my 5R mil spec.

The rail is EGW and was previously on another 700 with no issues. It fits like a glove and does not need to be bedded. We installed it and torque it up to spec. We have burris xtr 30 mm rings we then mounted to the base.

I loosely put them on and moved them all the way forward in the picatinny and tightened them to 65 in lbs. We moved the scope back and forth to get the proper eye relief. Once accomplished we snugged the torques on the rings up enough to hold it firm. We put the bore sighting tool in and the scope does not have enough Left adjustment in it to make it to the grids. I thought maybe it was the bore sighter so i tried it on other guns. Worked perfect and they are zeroed. We took everything back apart and went over it step by step very carefully trying to figure out what was wrong. Still the scope is not able to get inside the grids. It is far Right. Any ideas on what is wrong? Could the receiver be drilled wrong by Remington? I am puzzled!

Re: Scope mounting issues please help.

If it matters we (FLYNLOW3 and I) did have the rings lapped when they were on my old 700. They were on this same EGW base but we did take everything apart in order to move it over to the 5R. I've heard you always want to keep the rings together and not get the tops and bottoms mixed up and I know we did keep them together.
Thanks for any and all help.

You could try reversing the rings (flip them so the crossbolts are on the opposite side, and swap front and back rings). If lapping is the cause, you should see a shift. If not, I think you're correct in suspecting the receiver hole alignment.

Well this gun is supposed to be a 10th anniv. even says it on the box. The serial numbers match but it does not say anything on the barrel. Starting to wonder if this one snuck past remington's QC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flynlow3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well this gun is supposed to be a 10th anniv. even says it on the box. The serial numbers match but it does not say anything on the barrel. Starting to wonder if this one snuck past remington's QC </div></div>

I'm pretty sure 2011 is the year of manufacture for the 10th anniversary 5Rs. Mine was made in late 2010, and is not an anniversary model.

Look at the date code stamped on the left side of the barrel, just forward of the receiver.

The 3rd character from the right is the month of manufacture.
B-Jan
L-Feb
A-Mar
C-Apr
K-May
P-Jun
O-Jul
W-Aug
D-Sep
E-Oct
R-Nov
X-Dec

The 2nd character from the right is the year of manufacture.
E-2010
F-2011
G-2012

If it has the F date code, it should be an anniversary model.

The box says it is an anniversary edition and the serial number on the box matches the serial on the gun. Its just that this one is blank on the barrel. No engravings. I noticed that right off the bat. Now that I started setting it up with my buddy, We noticed the scope is way out of whack. We have both mounted several scopes in our life and tried this one twice with no luck. All the parts work on other guns just fine. The only thing factored in is the gun when things go bad. I am thinking that Remington let this one slip past quality control. I will check with them and my gunsmith on Monday.

I'll try moving them around and see if that has any effect. Thanks.

Are you sure the erector is centered? Have you tried bore sighting by looking through the barrel? Something doesn't sound right.

Is the Nightforce a Zero stop model? I'm just asking because if it is and the zero stop has been set then is there a possibility that the turrents wont go any further than what they are set at?

It is not a zs model. We used the bore siter on other guns with zero issues. I have a feeling the receiver is slightly off on the mounting holes. I will keep you guys posted.