• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SCOPE ON A M40A3

para1505

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2010
Columbia MO area
The other night I as watching one of the sniper shows I have recorded from the millitary channel. I noticed a M40A3 rifle that had a SS10x42HD mounted on it. Since SWFA SS does supply scopes for the Marines and navey and if a person done a M40A3 build. Mounted a SS scope on it. Would that make in Marine spec rifle?

Re: SCOPE ON A M40A3

I would say "true" Marine Corp spec is the S&B. If you have the $$ for one, do it. If not, put something you feel will get the job done. There are a lot of good scopes to choose from.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jammer61</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say "true" Marine Corp spec is the S&B. If you have the $$ for one, do it. If not, put something you feel will get the job done. There are a lot of good scopes to choose from. </div></div>

He's right, the USMC currently has Schmidt and Bender PMII 3-12x50 LP on their M40's. The civilian versions run about 3200ish.

I'm actually gonna do an M40A3 build, though, and will probably put a USO SN-3 (SSDS) on it. Both the SB and USO are superb optics (or so I hear) and you couldn't go wrong with either.

DFOOSKING... I have seen PH scopes on those rifles also. I was just suprized to see a SS on any M40 because they seem to have such high dollar optics on them. I have seen SS on thier DM rifles. I love my SS 10x42HD

The military allows much more flexibility with equipment today than in the past. My Son was allowed to purchase equipment online from some of the Hides sponsors using unit funds prior to his deployment to Iraq. The scope could have been bought by the individual or purchased by his unit using unit funds and issued to him. Either way, I personally, would consider it "correct" for the rifle. SWAFA won't toot their own horn but I know from personal correspondence that one of the reasons they designed and marketed the 1-4X24 HD SS was to put a quality scope on the market that a GI could afford. My source told me he cringed every time he shipped a Brand XXX 1-4 to a middle east APO address. SWAFA is a Corporate patriot which is one reason I buy all my optical equipment from them. First class service doesn't hurt either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: para1505</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The other night I as watching one of the sniper shows I have recorded from the millitary channel. I noticed a M40A3 rifle that had a SS10x42HD mounted on it. Since SWFA SS does supply scopes for the Marines and navey and if a person done a M40A3 build. Mounted a SS scope on it. Would that make in Marine spec rifle? </div></div>

Do you have a screen shot of that? Id like to see it...

Dude, Just go all out and use a Counter Sniper
smile.gif

OK I went back through the shows. I was wrong....(oooppps)..... the stock on the rifle looks like a HG Precision. It is on Advanced Sniper one of the Modern Sniper series. It is 25 minutes into the program. Also the rifle looks like it has a MARS rail on it too. The uniform looks like a multicam patteren. but it is a SS10x42HD scope.

Lots of companies like to "Call" their rifles something recognizable and just because they mimic the USMC designation doesn't mean it has anything at all to do with the USMC or the M40A3.

Take what you see on TV with a grain of salt.. if we are thinking about the same show they also had the M40A3 chambered in 6.5X47... People will do anything to sell a gun, even calling it something it has nothing to do with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Take what you see on TV with a grain of salt.. if we are thinking about the same show they also had the M40A3 chambered in 6.5X47... People will do anything to sell a gun, even calling it something it has nothing to do with. </div></div>

*Cough* *cough* CheyTac *cough* *cough*

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The military allows much more flexibility with equipment today than in the past. My Son was allowed to purchase equipment online from some of the Hides sponsors using unit funds prior to his deployment to Iraq. </div></div>

That depends a LOT on the Branch/Unit of service. 95% of units will not let you do this, and with very good reason. You recieve training on what your issued, we recieve training on how to fix what your issued, they buy parts so we can fix what your issued...
Quality control on part of USMC (or any branch), familiarity and maintenance support all go out the window when you remove issue gear in place of what you percieve as a better alternative. If you let every Tom, Dick and Harry switch out thier optic, but-stock and pistol grip, the majority would buy what looks COOL, because they dont know any damn better.

You may often hear that Marines are tough on gear, and they can break anything... This is because they don't know how to use what they have been trained to use in most cases. Lets take a simple peice o' gear... an RCO (E0017)... Windage, Elivation (1/3 MOA) and a BDC... Half of the RCO's that come my way do so because "It won't adjust! I can't get it to zero!".... Marine/Sailor doesnt know how to use his gear, and may very well end up destroying it in the process...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wheres-Waldo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The military allows much more flexibility with equipment today than in the past. My Son was allowed to purchase equipment online from some of the Hides sponsors using unit funds prior to his deployment to Iraq. </div></div>

That depends a LOT on the Branch/Unit of service. 95% of units will not let you do this, and with very good reason. You recieve training on what your issued, we recieve training on how to fix what your issued, they buy parts so we can fix what your issued...
Quality control on part of USMC (or any branch), familiarity and maintenance support all go out the window when you remove issue gear in place of what you percieve as a better alternative. If you let every Tom, Dick and Harry switch out thier optic, but-stock and pistol grip, the majority would buy what looks COOL, because they dont know any damn better. </div></div>
I hear ya. I did not mean to give the impression that he had a blank check to go to Cabela's to gear up for deployment. But he was allowed a respectable sum and a list of approved gear including optics and body armor.