• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope options, Am i overlooking something?

Joey1919

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2020
I'm shopping for a scope for a custom build .233 bolt gun . Rifle will be used for PRS style shooting out to 700+ yards. Weight is a major consideration as the rifle will be used for the mammoth sniper challenge.

What I'm considering

- vortex AMG, I have one on another rifle and like it. Would rather save some weight and money but am leaning this direction.

-leupold VX-3i LRP 4.5-14x50mm, 8oz lighter and about 1/2 price

- nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50
Will probably end up costing me about the same as the AMG

-vortex gen 2 pst which I have experience with and like. but leaning away from it because of non locking or capped windage

Won't comprimise on
-mil/mil
-FFP
-at least 14x magnification
-no weight over about 28 ounces
- any price higher than AMG/NX8

What would be nice but not required
- locking/capped windage, thats high on the list
- lighter weight
-more compact than AMG
- less expensie than AMG/NX8
- illumination is not required

Ive looked and looked and am down to time I need to get something on the way, I've got something on the rifle now but need to get the permanent optic on there and be training with it.

Am I missing something? Is there something else I should be considering?

Thank you

If you can bump up to 30 oz, you can get a Leupold Mark v for about $2300 + tax/shipping...

Any opinions on the leupold VX-3i LRP 4.5-14x50mm?

Seems to be the only option that would save significant weight and money

The vortex pst gen2 would save significant money but no weight.

Besides the reputation for not tracking?
Personally, for that kind of money, I would expect more than a 3x erector.
Doesn't the link I provided save a significant amount of money?
It's a 4.5-18 power scope with an excellent reputation for tracking and reliability and the glass is quite good, likely better than the VX-3i. It comes in just under 28 ounces, has a locking windage turret and zero stop. All that for 800 bucks from a well respected hide vendor.

Reactions: gnochi
^ Hes right, the LRTS he linked is a great scope for what youre describing, I was pleased when I got mine a couple years ago for a few hundred more than cameralands price right now.
1944D4AC-EFC7-4EC0-BED6-CF3B5CC28FBA.jpeg

EFE4FCAD-3998-46D9-9CC6-F62FBDBB1387.jpeg

B85B4710-946D-456C-BB5D-5495E466DA96.jpeg

2A1F0BD8-D474-43B3-8E7E-435085CB5F3F.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Secant

I have a PST Gen 2. It's great for the money, but not what I would call compact. I bought it because I wasn't quite ready to drop the coin on an AMG for the rifle it sits on now. In your shoes, if you're OK spending the money I like the AMG.

If you're just looking to make sure you've seen all options have you looked at the new EoTech VUDU line? The 5-25 scope checks most of your boxes. The Specs show 29.5oz, so really pushing your "about 28oz" weight limit, but it's very compact.

Full disclosure: I have no first hand experience, but I have seen some encouraging reviews online, and am trying to find a store that stocks one to play with it a little.

Check out tract optics they are a little on the heavy side at 34 ounce for the 4-20x50 but for $1300 it’s a great deal

Besides the reputation for not tracking?
Personally, for that kind of money, I would expect more than a 3x erector.
Doesn't the link I provided save a significant amount of money?
It's a 4.5-18 power scope with an excellent reputation for tracking and reliability and the glass is quite good, likely better than the VX-3i. It comes in just under 28 ounces, has a locking windage turret and zero stop. All that for 800 bucks from a well respected hide vendor.

I wasnt aware of the tracking issue, I did a search on here and there were just a handful of threads. The one in depth review I saw didnt report tracking issues, cant remember if that was here or another site.

The bushnell is definitely worth looking at, I honestly havent paid much attention to that brand but it sounds like folks are happy with them. Ive dealt with cameraland and their service is great.

i am happy with the 26oz 3.6-18 Mark 5 HD and getting >17.5 mils of adjustment on my rifle without a canted mount.
short and light and has the windage cap you prefer.

but then i am one of the poors so it isn't like i have lots of more expensive scopes to compare. ;)

As I post often, you are overlooking this...

WJm308 calls the 18x XTR3 the best scope of its type in the sub 2k category in the conclusion section of this review. Liking the Burris better than both the MK5 and NX8.

Reactions: Jack's Dad
With the money and weight being near even whats yalls thoughts on the mk5 vs. Burris xtr vs AMG

I like the recommendation of the Bushnell you received--that fits your specs almost perfectly.

If you want to add illumination, nicer reticle, a little more mechanical 'robust' design, the NF NX8 is a great scope, I have the 2.5-20, love it and recommend it in this price range. The Leupy Mk 5 3.6-18 is also a great scope, if I hadn't gotten the NX8, that would've been my other pick in this price range.

I’ve been researching into all the scopes above and I like the XTRIII the best overall people and switching to it from the nx8 so it must be better.

Here is a revelation. Some optics made in China are darn good optics.

Definitely, they're improving. For me the issue isn't about whether they can imitate optics makers elsewhere enough to make a quality optic.

My issue is whether I want to enable the most evil country in the world that spies on, murders, and abuses its citizens, suppresses freedom of speech and thought, exploits its workers, pollutes worse than any other country, steals our weapons and industrial tech, lies and cheats on trade agreements, and works actively to plant people and funding to wreck the United States. Lately, they ended democracy in Hong Kong, disappeared whistle blower doctors and scientists, and knowingly unleashed Covid-19 on the world after locking down travel within their own borders. Starting to see a pattern?

The Chicom government is our mortal enemy and while I know there are some products we get from there that we don't have a choice or certain things we buy have some unknown Chinese parts in them, at least with firearms related we do have a choice. Those Chicom rat bastards won't get one penny of my money for anything involving firearms.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but....PHUCK CHINA.

Last edited:
Definitely, they're improving. For me the issue isn't about whether they can imitate optics makers elsewhere enough to make a quality optic.

My issue is whether I want to enable the most evil country in the world that spies on, murders, and abuses its citizens, suppresses freedom of speech and thought, exploits its workers, pollutes worse than any other country, steals our weapons and industrial tech, lies and cheats on trade agreements, and works actively to plant people and funding to wreck the United States. Lately, they ended Democracy in Honk Kong, disappeared whistle blower doctors and scientists, and knowingly unleashed Covid-19 on the world after locking down travel within their own borders. Starting to see a pattern?

The Chicom government is our mortal enemy and while I know there are some products we get from there that we don't have a choice or certain things we buy have some unknown Chinese parts in them, at least with firearms related we do have a choice. Those Chicom rat bastards won't get one penny of my money for anything involving firearms.

Yet someday you may have to learn how to speak Chinese. And so I’m pretty sure that you sure as hell do not have an iPhone.

Last edited:
You could be right--especially if we keep electing globalist elites who suck up to the Chinese.

But heck , let's not make it easier for them. I won't go along willingly. :devilish:

You could be right--especially if we keep electing globalist elites who suck up to the Chinese.

But heck , let's not make it easier for them. I won't go along willingly. :devilish:
Well trust me I am not overly excited about the fact that the Chinese make pretty good stuff. But it is what it is unfortunately.

My issue is whether I want to enable the most evil country in the world that spies on, murders, and abuses its citizens, suppresses freedom of speech and thought, exploits its workers, pollutes worse than any other country, steals our weapons and industrial tech, lies and cheats on trade agreements, and works actively to plant people and funding to wreck the United States. Lately, they ended democracy in Hong Kong, disappeared whistle blower doctors and scientists, and knowingly unleashed Covid-19 on the world after locking down travel within their own borders. Starting to see a pattern?

I agree with you as tempting as the athlon scopes are I choose not to buy them because of this very reason.

Reactions: AllAheadFull
I certainly am not one of the elite shooters here on the Hide, but I know what works for me. I put a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 on my Bergara B14 HMR. I truly feel like I got a lot of scope for the money. Once I got the kinks out of the bore sighting and zeroing, I have been pleased beyond my highest expectations. OK, yeh, everyone says that about their "new" scope, but it has just worked out that my combination of Bergara and Vortex PST Gen 2 has been perfect for me. I am too old now to particiate in the kind of competition you described, but the Vortex improves the accuracy of the rifle by helping me see better!

Last edited:
Reactions: 10ring'r
My Burris XTR II has decent glass and the tracking is spot on. I’ll assume the XTR III is even better.

@lowlight did a brief review of the Burris XTR II.

Reactions: Hornvacuum
My Burris XTR II has decent glass and the tracking is spot on. I’ll assume the XTR III is even better.

@lowlight did a brief review of the Burris XTR II.

I have a XTRII and haven’t had any complaints so far the glass isn’t great but it’s not terrible either but the tracking was 100% out to 1200 yards which was the farthest I’ve taken it out to. Some people complain about the field of view a bit but I haven’t noticed it to be a problem. The XTRIII I’m hearing is much better in the glass and much better field of view plus 100% tracking as well and a better reticle.

Eotech Vudu 5-25 for $1600ish is the answer to this question. Made in Japan, by American Converted Capitalists, just like NF and a bunch of others

The 18x XTRIII comes in at 29ozs, has excellent glass, super forgiving eyebox and depth of view. And is industry leading in field of view in anything remotely in its price range. Its running about $1600 on average.

Pretty much checks all your boxes except for being 1oz over your weight limit.. Definitely one of the best values on the market.

I’d like to try a XTR III; my only niggle on my XTR II is the eye box is a bit tight at 20x.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I was considering several of the options here when I found a screaming deal on an NX8 . Good enough that it made my decision for me, I'm a sucker for a deal.