• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope Options for Barrett 98B at 1000 yards

jglumley

Private
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2010
I am trying to scope out a nib Barrett 98B. Currently I am considering a Nightforce 5.5-22X56 NXS, a Nikon Monarch, or IOR Valdada. I am looking for the most bang for the buck but I also don't want to short change myself and get a scope that I will just want to upgrade later. I am only doing target shooting for now but I want to keep my options open. Any comments or suggestions would be very welcome!

Re: Scope Options for Barrett 98B at 1000 yards

NSX will give you the best bang for the buck. PH, USO, or S&B when $ is deeper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with a NSX, USO or S/B. Forget the rest. </div></div>
You forgot Hensoldt...

No perticular order,
NF
USO
S&B
Hensoldt

What about the
NightForce Bench Rest 8-32x56 or
Sightron SIII 8-32X56

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jglumley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about the
NightForce Bench Rest 8-32x56 or
Sightron SIII 8-32X56 </div></div>
Edit didnt notice you were the poster of the question, Get the NXS, not the benchrest.

I'll second that on the no BR model. I love my BR but I use it for BR. NF says on the booklet that it is not a dual purpose scope. Not for hunting or tactical. I understand they are a little cheaper but they will not serve you well for the beast you want to put it on. Not saying they wouldn't hold the recoil, I'm sure it would, you just don't have nearly the adj the NXS has. Trust me, get the NXS. I have 4 NXS and 1 BR. They all do their purpose well.

Ok I think I will go with the NF NSX 5.5-22X56 amd call it good. Anyone know the best place to find one?

Before you drop coin on an NSX (or any other 2nd focal plane scope) do yourself a favor and study the differences between a 1st focal plane and 2nd focal plane scope. I promise you'll regret spending money on a 2FP scope sooner or later.

Nice rifle, btw!

If you like the FFP option, Nightforce now has their NXS F1... not quite the magnification but still a good choice.