• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope options

slapdud

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2012
Atlanta, Ga
I am currently shooting a PST 6-24x50 on top of my 284win and am wondering if expensive glass is going to make me shoot more precisely. The rifle already shoots 1/2moa at 1000yds but I looked through a buddies NF and there is no comparrison. The more expensive glass has better clarity, and resolution. My question is I am on a limited military budget and I could scrape up $3000 to buy some better glass but is it really necessary? Would I be able to read the mirage better to make more accurate wind calls? Would I be able to define the target better at 1000yds? Would I be able to see my hits more clearly to make corrections? Im looking for answers from people who are not emotionally tied to their scopes because they spent a pretty penny on them( not trying to be offensive) because I understand how much money I have tied up in this hobby and find myself emotionally attached to the things I have purchased.

Re: Scope options

You don't necessarily need to go to the $3000 level. Try to look through a SWFA SS 5-20. They have excellent glass and only go for a few hundred more than the PST's. Another option might be a Vortex Razor.

Going with better glass will definitely help with the fine detail, but there are several options to look at before jumping into the extreme high-end market.

Its tough because I think this tactical scope market is way overpriced. Its hard to swallow a $3000 piece of glass. My wife is into astrophotography and for 3k I can get a piece of glass that make out on colors in distant galaxies. I have looked through the Razor HD and there is not enough magnification. Im also the type of person that if Im going to spend 2k on decent glass I might as well spend 3k on the best glass. Im currently looking at a PM2 12-50, a SN3, the kahles 624, and a hensoldt. The difficult part is dropping the dough on products you cant finger first.

It does make it hard, but remember, a scope is much more than just glass. Personally I think that having decent glass and precision adjustments are a better combination than the reverse.

Of course, going with any of the ones you mentioned will get you all the bells and whistles too. Honestly though, I strongly believe it is possible to have too much magnification so please give that some thought.

My best-ever group was a 600-yard 5-shot one that went into .998". I fired it with a Sako .338 and a PH 5-25 but only had it set on (I think) 15x. I discovered that using too much magnification on mid-range shots (out to say, 7-800 meters) had me chasing the reticle.

I disagree the tactical market is overpriced. Remember that the manufacturers are competing in a niche market and cannot expand to the point that economies of scale can seriously reduce costs. If it were overpriced, a good company might come in and wipe all the others out by producing a scope that gives all the benefits of the high-end ones at a greatly reduced price. Hasn't happened yet and I doubt it will. Granted that's an oversimplification and there are other factors as well, but that's the gist of it.

A 12-50x is not a good scope for most shooters. Avoid that model and stick with the 5-25x. More magnification doesn't always translate into a better, more precise shot.

50 may be a bit much for me here in Ga due to mirage. I find myself typically shooting on about 20 power. As far as glass goes it is tough to beat the germans so I may keep my eye out for a S&B PM2. As I said I'm just a bubble head so I need to sell some firearms first so I can scrape up the dough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slapdud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its tough because I think this tactical scope market is way overpriced. Its hard to swallow a $3000 piece of glass. My wife is into astrophotography and for 3k I can get a piece of glass that make out on colors in distant galaxies. I have looked through the Razor HD and there is not enough magnification. Im also the type of person that if Im going to spend 2k on decent glass I might as well spend 3k on the best glass. Im currently looking at a PM2 12-50, a SN3, the kahles 624, and a hensoldt. The difficult part is dropping the dough on products you cant finger first.</div></div>

You share my pain...