• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope question

oobray

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2008
dallas area, tx
I have been out of the loop for a while. Currently I have a Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x on my rifle and I'm looking to get something a little lighter and lower powered for hunting with. It's going on my AR chambered in 6.5 grendel. I was thinking of the Leupold VX3 and maybe getting them to put some of thier M1 turrets on it. What do you guys think? What else is out there in the $500 ish or less range?

Re: Scope question

The Super Sniper 3x9 Is very good.

Its First Focal plane with Mil/Mil Turrets and Mil Dot.

You'll have to pay taxes on it like it did though since your in Texas.

Its 599.95 its alittle above your quoted range but worth a look.

That looks nice, but the website says that it's only slightly shorter in length than the bushnell and it's actually almost 2oz heavier. I'm looking for something shorter and ligher. Otherwise I really like my bushnell. I just looked at the leupold mark 4 mr/t. It's 4" shorter and 10oz lighter. In order to afford that one though I'd have to sell my bushnell. My grendel is (according my computer calculations) good for whitetail out to about 600 yards, although inside 200 yards will be 99% of my shooting. Is 8x going to be sufficient?

Your 6.5 Grendel is quite capable out to 800 yds and more likely out to 1000 yds. I would hang on to the Bushnell scope. The low end of 2.5x should give you adequate field of view to hunt with, at short to moderate ranges. You'll then have the option to increase magnification if you want to ding steel at 800 or more.
Your Bushnell scope has great optics too.
I think that you would be taking a step backwards in quality at the $500 price point.

Regards,

IUD

The only reason I have been thinking about changing is because of how big and heavy it is. The thing weighs over a pound. And where I do most of my hunting it's rare to get a a field of view over 200 yards. That's why I was thinking something built a little more for medium range shooting, and hopefully save on some weight.
I was thinking maybe a leupold VXIII with an M1 elevation turret. The website says it only weighs 9oz, that's almost half the wieght. Think it's worth it? 4x should be plenty for 99% of the time when I'll be shooting 200 yards or less. I can order it direct from the factory for $580.

One of the fellows at my gun club showed me a scope made by Leupold yesterday. It was specifically for the AR-15 (I know you have a Grendel), but it is a 3-9 with click adjustment elevation turret and a mil dot reticle. Not too bad for the $300 or $310 he paid for it..I can't remember the exact price, but was startled that it was so close to 300.