• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Recommendation for 600 yard Sheep Hunting

Spalding

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2020
.300 win mag, currently have a 2-12x50 Z6 and it's never let me down. Killed a sheep at 257 with it, and a caribou at 347, but looking for more magnification for future hunts where I might need to reach out across a canyon in the 500-600 yard range. Weight is not a concern....budget would be $3K or less.

Thanks for any recommendations

.300 win mag, currently have a 2-12x50 Z6 and it's never let me down. Killed a sheep at 257 with it, and a caribou at 347, but looking for more magnification for future hunts where I might need to reach out across a canyon in the 500-600 yard range. Weight is not a concern....budget would be $3K or less.

Thanks for any recommendations
I've become quite fond of Nightforce. Leupold makes a badass scope too. Whichever you decide on I would recommend the 30mm tube. As far as the added magnification, I can't really say much. Highest magnification scope I have goes to 22x, and I think that's a bit much.

.300 win mag

300 win mag vs sheep! To be ethical, I think you would need to be confidant you could get a first round vital organ hit, which is a big ask at 600 yards when you also aren't sure if it is 600 yards or 560 yards. 1-1.5 MOA, first time, every time. The sheep at 257 yards will be within your point blank range of a 300 win mag; 600 is way past that and needs accurate distance measurement.

• Haha
Reactions: Secant
Is there anywhere that you can try to ring 12" steel at 600 yds with your current scope? You may find that your current scope is just fine.

Do you (or someone who will be with you) have a LRF and spotting scope?

300 win mag vs sheep! To be ethical, I think you would need to be confidant you could get a first round vital organ hit, which is a big ask at 600 yards when you also aren't sure if it is 600 yards or 560 yards. 1-1.5 MOA, first time, every time. The sheep at 257 yards will be within your point blank range of a 300 win mag; 600 is way past that and needs accurate distance measurement.

Who said I wouldn't be sure if it was 560 vs 600? I'm pretty sure my El Range will tell me exactly how far it is

As for 300 win mag, how many nights have you spent in a tent in grizzly country, a hundred miles away from the nearest human?

Currently...I use a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15....and find it does everything I need...however...since I like nice things....on my list is to replace that scope with a ZCO 4-20....I love my ZCO 5-27...but would like an ultra short to hunt with....but yea...I know..that is outside your price range....but just barely...it has no peers though.

Currently...I use a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15....and find it does everything I need...however...since I like nice things....on my list is to replace that scope with a ZCO 4-20....I love my ZCO 5-27...but would like an ultra short to hunt with....but yea...I know..that is outside your price range....but just barely...it has no peers though.
I’ll second the ZCO 4-20, if it’s within reach of your budget. Pretty much guaranteed that you’ll have it for the rest of your life and pass it down.
Cry once.

If you like the z6 you could go up to the 3-18x50, would give you plenty of mag for 600 yards.

A ram at 600 through your z6 at 12x is like shooting it with open sights at 50 yards. Just for reference.

Reactions: deersniper
Hey, wow, another why isn’t there a FFP tac-esque 4-16x42 18-22oz hunting scope thread. OP, the problem is that you and the dozens of other people that chime in on these threads don’t really want a top tier hunting/x-over scope. That’s why this hole in the market exists... Because no one wants one... Because hunters want SFP... just ask everyone... 😂

In addition to what’s been suggested I’ll add: 3-15 TT, old school Premier LT, March 3-24, 3-15 & 4-16 Nightforce, and the LRHS which isn’t nearly as far behind as the price tag would suggest.

I think you would enjoy the Bushy LRHS. I have two and have been very impressed. I think they shoot above their price tag.

I think the March would be another great option along with the NF 4-16 line.

Reactions: NewsShooter
This 3x Leupold has made kills at that range with no issues at all.
At 600 yards and 12x you are essentially shooting at 50 yards and 1x. An animal the size of a ram could easily be killed at 50 yards with iron sights.
60E72F5D-692C-40B0-AF15-8C0A0E676CCD.png
60E72F5D-692C-40B0-AF15-8C0A0E676CCD.png
60ED8D12-9775-4E13-AD28-36A4D484344A.jpeg
3DD7A7C9-F995-4E62-B319-7067E48462EB.jpeg

Last edited:
March 3x24 is what I used in past years for Dall. This year’s new rifle is wearing a Kales 3x18.

Disappointing not a single recommendation for a scope. Weak
Don"t aske these guys most of them will give ya smart ass awnsers. I know from expericence, Yea these guys on here always have awnsers like how would you like to show the class, or something to that effect , I forgot more than most of these wanna be teachers will show ya, you get what ever scope you think you need but dont post it on this fourm unless you want to be belittled by some KIA shot for Know it all.

Let’s try this a different way......... what is everyone’s opinion of a top 5 list of the best long distance scopes on the market and maybe your reason for your top pick.....

Low light shooting on sheep hunt? Not really common in my experience. Sheep generally spend most of their time in the open, in the far north it does not even get dark in August.

Bighorns in Alberta and BC will be found in timber at times but normally still plenty of light for shooting. If light were that low, most would not shoot due to being impossible to judge trophy quality.

Another quality chocie, liked everything about my x5i 3.5-18x50 cept the sfp reticle and excessively large turrets.

yeah, with op currently using a swaro z6 and just wanting a little more magnification for a hunting scope I think staying with swaro with another hunting scope designed specifically as a long range hunting scope is just a no brainer.

A 3-18 SFP great glass scope with a good turret is to me perfect for this scenario. It’s exactly what swaro made that scope for.

If the boarder where to open this year I will be using a vortex lht for stone sheep. Used the older model lh on Dall last year. Pulled the amg off for the hunt, wanted to save some ounces and wanted sfp incase of close grizz

Last edited:
Reactions: DangerRanger
There are dozens of scopes you can pick.

You should start by prioritizing what features you want then maybe people can help you narrow it down.

Demanding recommendations is like saying what car to buy when no one knows your preferences or needs.

Also be aware that to many folks here 600 yards is not long range shooting. (Though it is a long shot at a sheep.)

For compact longer range shooting I prefer S&B 5-20x 50 Ultra Short.

There are dozens of scopes you can pick.

You should start by prioritizing what features you want then maybe people can help you narrow it down.

Demanding recommendations is like saying what car to buy when no one knows your preferences or needs.
so
Sorry if you read that as demanding, ...I’ll move on..............Thanks General

I would personally recommend a NF ATACR, its great glass, durable and tracks perfect out of the box 999 times out of 1000. The 5-25 is well within your price range too. I think you have the perfect caliber for hunting North America. Good luck on your hunt!