• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope Recommendation

jomax77

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2013
Hi everyone, Looking for a scope recommendation for my current build. I have been researching scopes for weeks and honestly cannot find a scope that ticks off everything I want. Maybe you can help me.

• What is the platform for the scope? Bolt Action -Zermatt TL3, Manners PRS1
  • What cartridge are you shooting? 6.5mm/308
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Hunting, Target, Steel
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Daylight, Lowlight,
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? 100-600 yds, occasionally 1000yds
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? FFP, 34mm tube, 56mm objective, locking elevation and windage turrets, Xmas tree Mil reticle, Illuminated Retical with "Off" setting between each level, Magnification 4-5X to 20+X, Lifetime warranty
  • What is the price range you can afford? $1500 or less
I like the Ares ETR 4.5-30, but just wish it had a locking Elevation turret. I thought the Vortex Strike Eagle really fit the bill too, but it did not have Illumination Off in between each setting. Thanks for your help.

The new XTR3i that is hitting the market any day now is a great choice. Checked every box but locking turrets. But does come with capped windage and a stiff enough elevation turret that you won't spin it.

My XTRIIIs have ridden around and been in and out of a saddle scabbard without issue.

A few options:

Meopta:
The Optika6 5-30x56 RD FFP - MRAD RD would be the closest, but it does not have locking windage. Every other box is checked.

Steiner:
Their new T6xi would be the ticket, coming mid year

GPO:
The GPOTAC 6x 4.5-27x50i FFP - LR PRO #RS670

Element:
The Titan 5-25x56 FFP - APR-1D MRAD #50021. The magnification parameters fit, it is illuminated, the turrets do not lock, but the turrets are about as positive as they get. Plus with the zero-stop that may suffice. Reticle is a Christmas tree and MRAD, great scope well below budget.

Burris:
XTR III or XTR III Illuminated

Athlon:
The Helos BTR GEN2 6-24x56 is worth checking out and also is well below budget

Hawke:
New this year, should be available in late April, Frontier 34 FFP 5-30x56 - Mil Pro Ext #18640
  • Patented Exposed Zero Lock ‘N’ Stop Elevation Turret
  • First Focal Plane (FFP)
  • 34mm Mono-Tube Chassis
  • Side Focus
  • Illumination
  • Wide Angle FOV
  • High Volume Eyebox
  • 100mm Eye Relief
  • Multi-LED High Intensity Reticle
  • High Grade, Low Dispersion Crown Glass
  • 21 Layer Fully Multi-Coated Lenses
  • Zoom Magnification Throw Lever (Removable)
  • Fast Focus Eyebell With Lock Ring
  • Supplied With Professional Metal Flip-Up Covers.

Last edited: