• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Ring Marring

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Now that I have a new scope, what best ways can I prevent (or at least minimize) the rings from marring the scope? I have heard of tape, lapping, bedding with epoxy or other materials, but am looking to do this the best way.

The rifle is an AR15, and there will more than one. Mounts can be one piece units or individual rings on a riser rail. If lapping is needed, thought about using equipment from this source.

http://www.kokopelliproducts.com

- Phil

Re: Scope Ring Marring

Good question. Since I am constructing various rifles (a few ARs), I very well may be using Burris XTR and Seekins rings, as well as possibly the Armalite or JP Rifles one piece mount. To start with, probably the Burris XTRs, as I can get these cheap, and with the scope I am using (and its short eye relief of 3"), I can mount these directly from the AR15 rail. Or, the Armalite one piece.

- Phil

Get a Scope Lapping Bar, and a Torque wrench that will torque the ring caps to 15 inch pounds.

I have Burris Signatures on a Ruger 10/22. They are very good. On the AR, they look a little out of place (to my eyes), and Burris does not provide height information in quantifiable inches. Just "high", extra high", etc. Just what is that? Also, it is not clear on the 30mm rings what mounting system is used. Picatinny or Weaver. Either will work on the Picatinny rail on my rifle, but if a Weaver amount (using a .180" slot), the ring could move in the .206" slot on the Picatinny rail.

I wish Burris would adapt the plastic insert idea to the XTR rings!

- Phil

I've got 30MM High's on a 20MOA nightforce base on my 338Edge holding a 5.5-22x50 Nightforce,Holds great. I think they list the measurements in Burris' website for the height.
Guns1041.jpg

If using high quality rings, such as Seekins, is there a need to lap these. I would imagine there may be more of a need to lap cheaper rings. ??? The rings would mount to an aftermarket rail attached to an AR15 upper receiver.

- Phil

I tried a pair of Burriss XTR and they scratched the crap out of my scope. Try Nightforce, or ARMS or any other high quality units. they not have burrs on them so you shouldnt have to do anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried a pair of Burriss XTR and they scratched the crap out of my scope. Try Nightforce, or <span style="color: #FF0000">ARMS or any other high quality units</span>. they not have burrs on them so you shouldnt have to do anything. </div></div>

You havent tried many sets of ARMS have you?

But on a more serious note, if you are going to do a scope on an AR, look into LaRue Tactical.