• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope & Ring Selection, Sako 85 .308

107driver

Private
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2013
Portland, OR
Shooters,

Please pardon my complete newbieness. I'm working on acquiring a Sako 85 .308 Greywolf (not the varmint barrel), although having trouble finding it in that caliber. This rifle will be for hunting (deer/elk/bear) and as a starter platform for learning some long range shooting with our local coach.

Given those two purposes, what scopes and ring combos would you recommend? I've been fascinated by the MSR discussions here, but as I mentioned above, I know nothing. Anything that would lead me down the rangefinding path would be great.

I've been saving for a bit so I think I could get into the $1500 range, especially if it could pull dual duty for hunting and LR lessons.

Many thanks in advance,

__107driver

I have a couple of SAKO 85's......love them. For hunting rifles, I like the TALLEY base and ring system for the 85.

being that i have an 85 on the way, i was interested in the talleys. from what i can tell, do the talleys just slide on the dove tail and then have two set screw on top that dig down into the receiver metal?

Shooters,

Please pardon my complete newbieness. I'm working on acquiring a Sako 85 .308 Greywolf (not the varmint barrel), although having trouble finding it in that caliber. This rifle will be for hunting (deer/elk/bear) and as a starter platform for learning some long range shooting with our local coach.

Given those two purposes, what scopes and ring combos would you recommend? I've been fascinated by the MSR discussions here, but as I mentioned above, I know nothing. Anything that would lead me down the rangefinding path would be great.

I've been saving for a bit so I think I could get into the $1500 range
I would recommend a Vortex Razor HD 5-20X mil/mil with EBR-2B reticle. Should be able to find one with the 35mm rings in your budget, if you moniter the scopes for sale. A little heavy, but great glass and tracking. You can range with the reticle. Vortex 6-24X PST even cheaper and lighter! Both with Lifetime Transferable No Fault Warranty. Give 'em a look!

Just keep it simple and go with the Sako Optilock system - a great product. I have it on my Sako 85, holding a S&B Classic 3-12x50. A great hunting rifle.

I would recommend a Vortex Razor HD 5-20X mil/mil with EBR-2B reticle. Should be able to find one with the 35mm rings in your budget, if you moniter the scopes for sale. A little heavy, but great glass and tracking. You can range with the reticle. Vortex 6-24X PST even cheaper and lighter! Both with Lifetime Transferable No Fault Warranty. Give 'em a look!

Couldn't have said it better myself! Go here: Vortex Optics - Riflescopes

1911fan

Get the Sako Optilock ringmounts in 30mm and a Leica ER 2.5-10x42 from Eurooptic Leica closeout sale. It is a component combination made in heaven on a sa Sako 85. The parts seems to be designed for eachother. Total cost about $1200.

Last edited: