• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope search for 20" .308 Larue Predatobr

Texasrifle2018

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2018
Hi all,

Wondered if I could poll the crowd for some advice.

Searching for a scope to mount on my .308 Larue Predatobr with a 20" barrel.

Looking for a scope to sight ~10" steel at 1000M. I know lower magnifications (9x) will allow me to get a barrel at 1K but I would like to have a little bit extra magnification for extra FOV but I don't forsee needing anything excessive so I can still use the reticle at low magnifications. I don't see the cost need for a SB 3-20x50 PM II Ultra Short given I will live far from 1K ranges and probably don't need the very high end. I've spent most of my service time behind trijicon ACOGs and civilian time with 3-9 deer scopes so I'm probably easy to please. It's been a while and it seems there are better brands than Leupold now.

Price: $2000 - $2500 ( I would consider ~$3K for a scope that met these requirements but was much lighter)

Intended uses: Steel, Target and mountain shooting,
Shooting conditions: Daylight, lowlight,
Distances: Less than 1000M (80% of the time will be spent 600M or less on steel unfortunately but I want 9X+ magnification for spotting and field of view)

Requirements:
Durable
Zero stop
Parallax adjustment (not a deal breaker)
Illumination (not a deal breaker)
FFP / Mil Turrets / Mil Reticle
Locking Turrets
Min Magnification of 3X
Max Magnification more than 9X.
Objective lens less max size of 50mm
Generous eye relief, Large exit pupil

While I understand most of these requirements rule out magnifications below 3x, it would be nice to find a scope with a that can go below 3X to use for close in training flexibility for quick acquisition with a lighter platform rifle.

I have considered purchasing an additional cheaper low power 1X + variable scope to dedicate for a lighter AR platform.

I'm planning to mount with Larue Quick Detach levers but wondered what your thoughts were.

I am willing to spend a bit more to have added platform flexibility for both short and long range (depending on the price).

Thank you for the help.

FWIW & IMO,
I ran a loaner Schmidt Bender 5-20x50 PMII Ultra Short, with a Horus H-59, on my 16" Larue OBR for quite a while and found very little to be lacking. The scope was mounted in a Spuhr SP-4036, which I still have, and about the only thing I would like to have added to the package would have been an Aimpoint Micro, or Trijicon RMR, of some sort mount on the forward ring of the Spuhr ISMS, or simply gone with the entire ECOS-O setup. That said I still prefer an unmagnified red dot on a 45 degree angle opposed to being mounted directly on top of the the scope and obscuring the elevation turret. About the only thing I did not like about the package, and no you did not ask about this, was the AAC 762 SDN, which I have since replaced with a TBAC ULTRA 9 .30 Cal that is an order of magnitude better for extracting as much precision as possible out of the rifle as possible. I regret not buying that 5-20x50 PMII loaner... Perfect for a short semi-auto IMHO.

Regards, Matt.

There's plenty of the non ultra short 3-20x S&B's that are around $2400 or less now in the PX. I'd consider one of those or a Minox Zp5 3-15 which can be had round $2k if you do some looking around.

Thanks for the feedback, all are great options.

Someone else brought up Vortex/Leupold MK5 as cheaper options (giving money to my ammo fund).

Any thoughts about a difference in quality/mechanics between the above options and a Vortex Viper PST GenII 3-15x44 or Luepold Mk5?

Seems like Vortex is a new brand and Leupold might have made a good scope again.

Leupold MK 5 seems to be getting good reviews at a great price. I have run a MK 6 with tremor3 for years and have no complaints. There are better scopes out there, but probably not a better value. Check out the thread on the mk5.