• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope sighting. which is the best way to do it.

krekovic

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2009
Canada
Well i have a question for the experts.
Which would be the best tool to quickly sight in a bunch of riffles. (208,270 and so forth)
Laser Bore Sight or something like the leopold zero point boresighter which does not use a laser but a chart instead that goes onto the end of the barrel.
which is more accurate and why and are there any other alternative for quickly sighting in a pile of rifles. most of these are used for hunting, and long range target shooting.

Re: Scope sighting. which is the best way to do it.

1. Look down the barrel and adjust the scope to the same spot. (get an aprox range like 100 yrds, it will get you closer to paper)

2. Go shoot and refine your zero

I prefer the eyeball method as well.
It has never failed me.

After a bit of practise you will be amazed how close to zero you get. Even without practise, it works well.

i can usually get on a standard size sheet of paper at 100yd by eyeballing it.... if it doesn't hit on the first shot, then i fire a second and watch for the hit on the berm, then adjust from there....

I just cringe at the idea of some yahoo putting a steel bore sighter in my pristine barrel. I saw some old man just ram one in like a mobster ice-picking a snitch at basspro. I will never let some ass monkey rape my weapon's unblemished rifling. Just pull the bolt and center your bore on a target dot and adjust your reticle to line up. Shoot and adjust. I can usually be on paper in 1 to 2 shots.

I made the mistake of buying a boresight: what a waste of time and money. Just put a target 10 yards away and fire a round to get it on paper. Then move to your standard zero distance and zero it in. Zeroing is very ammo specific: there is no substitute for taking it to the range. I don't know how a boresight device adds any value to this process.

Put a target at 50 yds aways and go from there. I have a critical question for you, did you mount the scopes or did someone else? Canada is kind of a big place, where are you exactly?

Eyeballing through the bore, only way I have ever done it. Enough times, like everyone says, you'll be on paper in no time

Mike

Looking down through the barrel works most times but sometimes like in my case the adjustable cheek rest is in the way and I can not see down the bore so I use a laser bore sighter towards the evening the night before I go shoot (it just needs to be dark enough to see the laser dot but not too dark so that you can not see your cross hairs). just line up the cross hairs to the laser dot and you should be on paper with ammo.

If at all possible I remove the bolt and eyeball it. If I can avoid sticking anything down muzzle end of the barrel I will. You can pull the pin on AR's remove the bolt and do the same thing. If I couldn't do that (10/22, something else) I'd probably still start at 10-25 yards with a big piece of paper, if I had money to toss I'd probably buy the cartridge style laser sight in tools that go in the chamber (no idea if they actually work or not). If you mount a scope that's anywhere near it's optical center of adjustment and it won't show up on a 20x20" piece of paper at 25 yards you have bigger problems
smile.gif

I usually start at 25 yards and go to 100 from there, but if you are careful doing it you can easily be on the paper at 100 the first try. Usually I have to do break in anyway, so range isn't an issue and it saves me from starting at 100 and having to go back to 25/50 yds in case I'm not careful doing the initial sighting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krekovic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which would be the best tool to quickly sight in a bunch of riffles. </div></div>

images-miscellaneous-2006-eye-500x500.jpg

Jack

The following is just restating what has previously been written by several qualified members here. This is just what I do and why.
I use the bore alignment method as well if I can get my mug low enough for a good line of sight down the bore. If unable to bore align I use the walk back method, starting at 25 yards shoot a round make an adjustment shoot one more, then repeat moving back in 25 yard increments to 100 yard line if need be, and then move to my zero distance if different from 100 yards. As Todd stated this is a good opportunity break in a barrel if a new installation. I was given a laser cartridge bore sighting tool and it works great if you can get the time of day just right were you can see the dot and still see the target. Where I have really seen benefits from the laser cartridge is when demonstrating the difference in sight line and bore line at different distances with AR type systems. The studs used with bore sighting devices are not evil if used properly they can save you some ammo if you can't use bore alignment, walk back, or laser cartridge methods. As has been previously stated do not jam the stud into the barrel and be mindful of your crown. Other considerations when setting your scope up are to center your windage adjustments by bottoming it out one way then counting until you bottom out the other way then come back 1/2 that amount. If you have the hunting style base with course windage adjustment align your windage centered scope using these screws to align the scope with the bore, this will allow you maximum windage adjustment each way when shooting in the future. Quality rings and base make a huge difference in overall performance don't cheat yourself and the systems potential by going with cheap mounting solutions. Frank has an excellent article in the articles section covering mounting your scope and getting your rifle set up, well worth the time to read. Good luck with your set up and let us know how it turns out.

Danel

I've had good success with the muzzle mounted laser sight-in tool. I think it cost me about $50.00 and it has me very close no matter what rifle I'm sighting in. I've had it 4 or 5 years and sighted in several rifles for any number of reasons(new iron sights, scopes, mount changes, ring changes, confirmation, etc.) and always found it to save a lot of ammo in actual sight in at the range.

The spuds are plastic so I don't fret about possible rifling or crown damage.

It seems to work well for me.

No device required- Just bore site. Will get you on A4 paper at 100 yards. If it's of any interest a 308 zeroed at 100 yards with any bullet I have tried will hit 1 inch low at 71'7'' (Bisley zero range ie just under 25 yards) with my TRG/NF configuration. So no need to to go from 25 to 100 yards in 25 yard increments. Hope that helps

I eyeball through the bore at 25 yards,shoot one shot,adjust scope then move to 100 yards works good for me.