• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Scope slipping, WTH????

fastford

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 10, 2008
    Central, Texas
    Took my new GAP Gladius out for the second time today. It has a Preimer 3x15 mounted on it, in badger USMC rings. Got home and unpacked it to clean. Noticed small scratch marks on the scope in front of the front ring. Got to looking at it, and it looks like it has slipped in the rings! WTF????? Rings torqued to base at 65, and rings torqued down in a cris cross pattern at 15. I rechecked and everthing is still on, what the heck happened???? scope off or rings? Or me?

C

Re: Scope slipping, WTH????

I use loctite at the ring contact points then torque. Wont slip a bit.

I had that on cheap rings on my .300WM. But those Badgers shouldn't do that I wouldn't believe. Maybe someone here can line that out for ya.

i have never lapped the rings,

i did use locktite on the cap bolts, torqued to 15inlbs......

????

Try 17 in lbs. on the screws and if you have some rosin put it in the scope ring channel on both front and back ring won't slip. If don't have rosin
    take a rubber glove cut the thumb off and slip a small band of it around the scope barrel where its in the rings bothe front and back will prevent slippage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have never lapped the rings,

i did use locktite on the cap bolts, torqued to 15inlbs......

???? </div></div>

Some good advice here. The only thing I would add is that once you have the scope re mounted, get a fine tipped permanent blackmarker pen and put "witness marks" on the scope tight against the front and rear rings. Black marker will show on the black barrel of the scope, but it won't be conspicuous. The pens meant for writing on CD's work best.

These marks will allow you to see the moment the scope starts to move rather than wait until scratches appear ect..

Regards,

Peter

Liquid electrical tape. Take Qtip and coat the inside of the rings with a very light coat, then torque down. Leave it alone for a few days to let the tape set up. I have never had a problem after doing this and it will not leave marks like adding other things.

Lapping will not increase the hold on the scope....it will certainly make the rings even more loose than before if they do not already hold the scope tight enough when torqued to specs.

"If" one were industrious enough to remove material on the mating surfaces....enough to close the gap a bit.....lapping might be wise to return the holes to a round shape.
    Of course, this cannot be done on some rings. I would not even attempt it.

I would locate some rings that fit the scope properly.
    It may be the scope or the rings. I would call GAP, or Badger, or Premier......or all of them. Someone will have a solution.

I have seen scopes that were less than 30mm. I have seen rings that were bigger than 30mm. Take a couple of measurements so you know which party to call.

Cheers,

Doc

I just use the short end of an allen wrench in two fingers.....

The only scopes I've had slip were in a set of MK4's (Bushnell 3200MD) set with a in/lb torque wrench and a set of Burris Poz-a-ligns.

Before I started lapping or bedding scope rings I would go to a sporting goods store and buy a can of "rosin". That people put on their hands when they are up at bat in a baseball or softball. I used to use it shooting pistol also. Sprinkle a little of that on the bottom rings and twish the scope in it to spread it around. To make sure you can see if it is moving, put a round of masking tape at one of the rings and maybe put some "timing marks" on it with a permanent marker.

Good luck.

In the old days, when scopes were glossy,not matte, we used Liquid Electricians Tape by 3M for a light coat the inside of the rings.

Result, No slippage on glossy scopes used on hard kicking rifles, and no mars on the scope tube. When it drys it has a rubber like consistency. It can be removed from your rings with an exacto knife.

Bob

I had the same problem with my MST100 slipping in the rings after I first mounted it. I used rosin inside both rings and that stopped the problem.

If you use double sided scotch tape the scope will never move. I used to do this after I noticed a gunsmith did this on a scope he had mounted. I took a scope off after about 10 years and the scope was still being firmly stuck to the rings because of the tape. You will not have any ring marks on the scope either. The only problem is dropping scope in the bottom rings, make sure the crosshair is level ! Just use brake cleaner to clean old tape off rings when you pull the scope later.

david

where did you guys get this "rosin"? i assume you guys that use this stuff have had the same problem?

what "should" my badger rings measure?

it appears my scope measures 33.9mm

are the top and bottom half of the rings touching? If they are touching rosin and tape and goo are not the solution to your problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">badger USMC rings</div></div>

Toddacguy and I had hell getting these to work with our scopes. It took heat and lok-tite to resolve it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilshire1412</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the same problem with my MST100 slipping in the rings after I first mounted it. I used rosin inside both rings and that stopped the problem. </div></div>

Had the same thing happen to mine- nice scrape on the tube + Yes i was pissed!

plain scotch tape will work too. use it on the top half or bottom half or both. its about 0.002" thick if i recall. i use it in all of my rings. no slippage, no ring marks either. lay it in, trim along the edge with a razor. get good tape, not that dollar store cloudy stuff that wont tear even with the cutter on the dispenser.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">badger USMC rings</div></div>

Toddacguy and I had hell getting these to work with our scopes. It took heat and lok-tite to resolve it. </div></div>

could you expalin? did you resolve it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

it appears my scope measures 33.9mm </div></div>

My concern would start here....

thanks for the phone call Paul!

gonna try what we talked about, I think that will fix the problem, scope is in spec, I cant use a caliper! : )

I had a scope that I could not keep from shifting in the rings: Burris XTR rings, Horus Hawk, DPMS LR308. Like you said, torque the rings down in a criss-cross pattern, and when I would shoot it you could see that the scope slid just a little bit.

I was told to try either masking tape, rosin, or black silicon, of which I tried the silicon and it worked like a charm. No problems. I put on the most thin coat that I could using a Q-tip, and I still had some squish out when I tightened the rings down.

Let us know if the solution you picked works!

You know the sticky stuff that is on the back of a new credit card that attaches it to the letter? That's the stuff. Put a little ( make sure its flat, not balled up)on the upper side of the ring...clamp ( torque) it down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kormi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know the sticky stuff that is on the back of a new credit card that attaches it to the letter? That's the stuff. Put a little ( make sure its flat, not balled up)on the upper side of the ring...clamp ( torque) it down. </div></div>

I wouldn't recommend using that or tape or anything between the rings and scope tube. Just one more variable. A good set of rings and scope properly torqued down should not slip. Don't try and put a band aid on a problem. Fix the problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kormi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know the sticky stuff that is on the back of a new credit card that attaches it to the letter? That's the stuff. Put a little ( make sure its flat, not balled up)on the upper side of the ring...clamp ( torque) it down. </div></div>

That stuff seems to be elastomeric in nature. Elastomers are incompressible. If you tried that you might get lucky and it might squeeze out the side of the ring. If not eith the ring is getting expanded or the scope tube is getting pushed in ( or both ). Terrible idea.

...and he digs up a two year old tread to offer this gem.

Priceless.
    smile.gif

We're not baking bread here. Clean all the surfaces with alcohol. Use quality rings. Torque to ring maker's specs with a quality torque wrench. Nothing else needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kormi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know the sticky stuff that is on the back of a new credit card that attaches it to the letter? That's the stuff. Put a little ( make sure its flat, not balled up)on the upper side of the ring...clamp ( torque) it down. </div></div>

I wouldn't recommend using that or tape or anything between the rings and scope tube. Just one more variable. A good set of rings and scope properly torqued down should not slip. Don't try and put a band aid on a problem. Fix the problem. </div></div>

An old saying comes to mind, "It'll hold till second shift!"

torq it to 20 to 25 inch lbs and it'll work fine. i have no idea why badger has the torq listed as 15-17 inch lbs, frankly that isn't enough, especially if you are shooting a heavier recoiling rifle.