• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SCORED!!!! IMR 4064 Need primer suggestions.

Moby

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2012
Dallas, Don't mess with Texas!
I got 5 lbs of IMR 4064 powder from a gun store in Ft Worth TX.

I'm just getting started in reloading for my .308

But it' gets better! My buddy is selling me 450 Sierra Match King 175gr HPBT bullets.

I've got 600 once fired cartridges.

Can anyone give me a suggestion on the best primers?
Thx
Moby

210m is primer of choice best luck finding though

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk Pro

I normally used the 210M, but when they became so scarce I tried the Rem 9 1/2 and found it to shoot just as well in my rifle. I have been able to find the 9 1/2 primers pretty regularly locally.

4064 doesn't need any special primer to work well.
Any CCI or Federal, or REM primer, as long as you work up the loads and don't change primers in the middle of the work up.

I use WLR with IMR 4064. Why? Because I bought all his reloading stuff when I bought the gun. I was making hits so....no complaints. Ain't rocket surgery.

My reloading shop guy told me not to hold my breath on getting 210M's any time soon. He said that Federal is using all of their primers for Federal ammo production and that they are way backed up on orders and not releasing match primers. Sounds plausible. I bought some Rem 9 1/2 to try out.

Federal GM 210 match are good primers but difficult to find in some places. personaly, I have seen no difference between the "match" and the regular Federal 210's.

BR2's always give me the lowest extreme spreads. I was told you want the least amount of flash (power) that will get the job done reliably.

IMO whatever you can stock up on, that way you don't need to rework your load. I used Fed 210M until I ran low, then picked up 5k WLR primers and out of a bolt gun I have had good results. I really have a hard time saying that the primers make that big a difference, but I am no bench rest shooter. When I just started reloading I did the same thing as you... Find the best of everything... in the end my targets tell me that primers were not a huge part of the equation. During load development my SD is either single digit or <12.

I got 5 lbs of IMR 4064 powder from a gun store in Ft Worth TX.

I'm just getting started in reloading for my .308

But it' gets better! My buddy is selling me 450 Sierra Match King 175gr HPBT bullets.

I've got 600 once fired cartridges.

Can anyone give me a suggestion on the best primers?
Thx
Moby

Oxymoron there.

'Cases' is the word you seek.

I like Fed GMM 210Ms and CCI BR2s, but have most of the primers from the Big 4, standard, magnum and benchrest/match.

Have fun.

Chris

I have had good luck with 4064 and Federal 210ms. I did get robbed when buying them locally at Bruno's, but I was over-eager to start loading.