• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SCOTUS unanimously upholds Faithless Elector laws

broncoaz

Gary Coleman told me to F off
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2007
Flagstaff, AZ
I wonder if this could have any effect on the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact? Probably not because this decision upholds state laws, but it may indicate that laws to subvert the electoral college may not be upheld.

I wonder if this could have any effect on the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact? Probably not because this decision upholds state laws, but it may indicate that laws to subvert the electoral college may not be upheld.

Does this mean they have to follow the rules of the job and the oath they took going into the job? Interesting.

Thank you,
MrSmith

Reactions: woogie_man
Let me think.....if the electoral college/electors have to vote with the popular vote, then WHY DO WE NEED THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE OR ELECTORS???

AM I MISSING SOMETHING?

Let me think.....if the electoral college/electors have to vote with the popular vote, then WHY DO WE NEED THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE OR ELECTORS???

AM I MISSING SOMETHING?

Without the electoral college the politicians could completely ignore the will of "flyover country" all of the time. Under a straight popular vote if they were to win California, New York, and a couple other large population centers they would win the election and fuck what the rest of the people think. The electoral college is very necessary to give all states a say.

I agree the college is what makes us a representative government and Republic, etc. It just sounds as if the electors must vote the popular vote which runs counter to what I understood. State by state....I get it.

Without the electoral college the politicians could completely ignore the will of "flyover country" all of the time. Under a straight popular vote if they were to win California, New York, and a couple other large population centers they would win the election and fuck what the rest of the people think. The electoral college is very necessary to give all states a say.

In essence a larger version of Illinois.

Reactions: Rthur
Need to punch through a state version of the college.
List of states controlled by one city is getting out of hand.

R
Maine and Nebraska are the two states that currently require their electoral college representatives to vote according to their district popular vote tallies. Unfortunately, these two states have a very small EC count together and therefore little change in influence as a result.

Reactions: Rthur
I wonder if this will have an unintended effect on the concept of a brokered convention.

How that would change all these commie states. You guys don’t realize how many good people in CA NY etc are fucked by a couple big cities

Making the states not winner take all on electoral votes and proportional to the state’s popular vote would go a long way towards leveling the playing field. That change would make it so the votes from a state would give people outside of the cities a say. Some states are like this in their primaries, I don’t think any are in the general.

Reactions: deersniper
I just finished reading up on the electoral college:
Maine and Nebraska are the two states that currently require their electoral college representatives to vote according to their district popular vote tallies. Unfortunately, these two states have a very small EC count together and therefore little change in influence as a result.