• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

screwed up - sort of

Anthony C

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2008
New York
I finally bought the Krylon fusion camo paints and went at my 5R stock. Initially tried to do camo pattern with painters tape similat to the m40 mcmillan stocks i see here. Well the tape kept peeling the paint. maybe if i waited a day or so but dont have that patience. Ultimatley ended up with a basic paint a stripe free hand in say green, then brown, then kahki repeat. Not bad in end real tacticool looking but not what i set out to do. I will figure out how to post pictures and will add later. At least i know it does not affect accuracy.

Re: screwed up - sort of

If you're trying to put tape on top of fresh paint, the paint will come right off with it, no doubt about it. But a low adhesion tape, like the Scotch Blue painter's tape, should allow you a shorter time bewteen coats. If you're looking at a GAP-style paint job, I'd start like this.

-- Strip off as much paint as possible, to reduce the build-up and have better results. The final product will only be as good as the prep work.

-- Shoot the entire stock with the darkest color you're wanting.

-- Allow sufficient cure time (more than a couple of minutes) then mask off the places you want the color to stay.

-- Repeat for each color.

Don't be skittish of overlapping coats or colors. Just allow the paint enough time to cure before you move on to the next coat. And really important ----------- medium wet coats, a consistent speed across the surface, at a consistent distance. Try shooting old light bulbs first, to get the technique down. You'll get a feel for the correct speed and distance.