• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sealing a Garage Floor?

Dennis_in_VA

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I need some input from those of you that have experience in sealing concrete shop floors.

The house that I'm moving into has a 2 car garage with a concrete floor that I would like to finish.

What would y'all recommend for a tough, resilient floor covering?

Paint, epoxy, ????

Re: Sealing a Garage Floor?

Dennis,
Been a painter for 28 years so here are some ideas. If your garage is not going to be used as a destructive test center then my sugestion would be to go with a good epoxy floor finish. Find your local Sherwin Williams dealer and they will get you the proper epoxy. Stay away from Homie Depot. There are many types of epoxy and you need to use the proper one. A few more things. Is there a vapor barrier under the slab. This can be a hard question to answer but if it is a newer home there should be one. If not you may have problems or you might not. I have seen it go both ways. Now your going to need to acid wash the floor first. Use a mild solution of water and muratic acid. Buy a cheap mop and throw it away when done. After the floor is clean try and stay off it until it is dry and you are ready to put the first coat on. I like to thin the first coat about 25%. It lets the epoxy set in a bit deeper. Buy 2 roller covers and brushes and just pitch them when done, cost too much to try and clean them. Let your first coat dry overnight and put the second one on the next day. I dont thin the second coat. If you want the color chips now is the time to put them down. Warning here they have to have a topcoat of clear and that stuff aint cheap. Also another caution. Read the directions on the epoxy carefully. After you mix it the paint needs to sit for a while before you apply it, this is very important. If you have any more questions PM me and I will send along my phone number and we can talk. I might be able to get my discount applied to your store for you. I would need to check into that. Oh one more thing. Dont go at the painting with a brand new roller cover. They shed fibers and your floor will look like your dog shed all over it. Put the cover on the roller frame and wrap it in masking tape 4 or 5 times. As you remove the tape it will pull most of the loose fibers with it.

i did the rustolem brand from home depot 2.5 years ago.

i'm going to have to grind it up this summer and repaint. going to make sure to buy the best damn stuff i can find this time. as previously stated go to sherwin williams or another pro paint shop and get good stuff

Thanks for the intel guys. Very informative.

This house and garage was built it 1980 and I don't know if it has a vapor barrier under the garage slab or the basement slab.

The garage has a coat of that "home doit yourself" floor coating on it ( some kid that was using the garage put it on).

The basement is naked, so I am good to go with a from the ground up application.

I guess I will wear out the stuff in the garage and then re-do the floor but I am planning on landing some heavy machinery (lathe and mill to start) and would rather just get all of this stuff done before I put the first tool box in the garage.

How do you get the stuff (the cheap stuff) off the concrete so an application of the "Good Stuff" can be laid down

You can rent a floor sander or some places have grinders for rent. For the basement please be aware of the fumes from solvent based paints. Make sure all pilot lights are out and anything with an electronic ignition are shut down. Just a safety precaution. If your house was built in 1980 there is a good chance you do have a vapor barrier under the slab. More of a concern in the garage than the basement. Feel free to PM me if you want to. HTH

Can the epoxy products be used on prefab concrete steps that are outside? My front porch has seen better days and I want to spruce it up.

Call the Naavy ad have them send over a couple of Seals.

Make sure you get epoxy for hot tires. Even if you won't park a car on it. If you don't, you'll regret it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WPG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can the epoxy products be used on prefab concrete steps that are outside? My front porch has seen better days and I want to spruce it up. </div></div>

Yes but it might be a bit cost prohibitive. You have to buy it in 2 gallon increments. Stuff is not cheap. Some of the real high end products can be several hundred dollars a gallon.