• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seating Depth is this too much?

Tilting40s

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2023
CA
I’m new to reloading any advice would help.

6.5 Creedmoor 140g Nosler, using H4350 up to 40.8g. Am I just asking for pressure issues seating the bullet this deep?

5F0AE3DC-D925-4932-86C2-DFE7B8CE700E.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 338dude
have you tried to put one in your gun ? if you are using mags does it fit . you might end up having to single feed if it's too long for the mag but if your bolt won't close with that length of bullet then everything else is not going to matter much . powder wise I have no idea if your load is reasonable or not if you don't wanna put a loaded round in your gun at home you could always use a dummy non loaded round set to that length . best of luck hope it all turns out great for you .

Have you checked where your lands are? OAL is listed at 2.825 in most loading manuals, so you are pretty deep. Nosler lists 41gr max for H4350 using 140gr bullets @ OAL of 2.825"

Its fine If thats where it shoots. Adjust powder accordingly if need be. Theres no real rule for seating depth. Most like the boattail by the neck/shoulder junction but it doesnt have to be there.

I’m new to reloading any advice would help.

6.5 Creedmoor 140g Nosler, using H4350 up to 40.8g. Am I just asking for pressure issues seating the bullet this deep?

View attachment 8091748
Yeah, that's seated rather deep, which isn't necessary and will certainly produce more pressure than if you seated them longer. As mentioned, one can easily seat them out beyond 2.800 and how far out you can go really depends on there that bullet touches the lands. But for a new reloader, you might want to work within the confines of your magazine, where you might load them out to its maximum or something a little less. It's a good idea to seat bullets so that the bearing surface does not touch the neck-should junction area where a donut forms (donut = brass material flowing from the shoulder into the neck area when sizing your brass where that area has a slight smaller diameter than the rest of the neck). If you have a bullet puller (get one if you don't), you might just pull the bullets and re-seat them to a little longer COAL. . .???

Why did you select that seating depth?

P
The gun shoots the TRG Precision rounds very well. The ojive is .09 off jam. I set the Noslers up to the same jump, but given the shape of the bullet it means the bullet is well into the case.

Yeah, that's seated rather deep, which isn't necessary and will certainly produce more pressure than if you seated them longer. As mentioned, one can easily seat them out beyond 2.800 and how far out you can go really depends on there that bullet touches the lands. But for a new reloader, you might want to work within the confines of your magazine, where you might load them out to its maximum or something a little less. It's a good idea to seat bullets so that the bearing surface does not touch the neck-should junction area where a donut forms (donut = brass material flowing from the shoulder into the neck area when sizing your brass where that area has a slight smaller diameter than the rest of the neck). If you have a bullet puller (get one if you don't), you might just pull the bullets and re-seat them to a little longer COAL. . .???
Roger that. I did shoot them without incident, but will not be seating them that short going forward.

Seating deep generally REDUCES pressure until you are VERY deep.
This is true, and pressure increases when getting very close to and touching the lands. Though the change in pressure variations very from bullet to bullet, cartridge to cartridge, chamber to chamber . . . this graph below can give one a good visual idea as to how that works:

Seating Depth vs Pressure graphic.jpg

Reactions: Tilting40s