• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Security films for glass doors and windows

long-shot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2003
Missouri
I find this technology interesting and I see videos of people installing it themselves. I have a couple places I'd like to use this for intruder resistance and airborne debris protection.

Does anyone have specific experience with these products? Can these products be purchased by homeowners without a dealer? Thanks.

jeff

Re: Security films for glass doors and windows

Unless you're already good at it, seek out professional installation. It's like DIY vehicle window tint; you get what you pay for. Getting the bubbles out without the proper tools can be very difficult, and if you don't it will significantly hamper your visibility.

Search the website from 3m. Getting ready to do it myself.

I just bought some from a site called www.wallpaperforwindows.com; I had odd sizes (36x92) and I got two of the product for under $100 with the tool for the air bubbles. Haven't done it yet - but will let you know how it goes.

I have put this up on my gun room. its like putting up tint. the only thing you have to pay attention to is if your windows are tempered. If they are you need to put some silicone caulking in the corners of the windows ... the instructions should detail it out. Was very easy 2 large windows took me 20 minutes to mount and 10 min to cut.

Good luck. I've tinted windows for 13 years both commercial/residential and automotive. I've installed everything from 4 mil to 8 mil security film, and that stuff is a nightmare to work with.

Stuff works though.

One suggestion I will give the DIY'ers... If inexperienced with window film, clean the window good, especially the edges. I mean good as in with a razor blade. Wipe your edges down with lint free paper towels, and always spray your edges down and away from the center of the glass. If it's your first time using this stuff, you might be better served to cut templates that are a little smaller than the glass, and just have a small gap on the edges, you could come back and caulk it in later if so inclined.

If you crease this stuff (especially the corners), it will never lay down. You can work small crinkles and creases out of regular tint, not security film.

You should install tough window film to prevent from intruders. Double pane glass windows are also used for security purpose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good luck. I've tinted windows for 13 years both commercial/residential and automotive. I've installed everything from 4 mil to 8 mil security film, and that stuff is a nightmare to work with.

Stuff works though. </div></div>

What make of film is the best value?

It isn't much good for security unless it is installed beyond the edge of the window and into the frame. If the edge isn't secure the whole pane can be knocked out pretty easily.

I had my sliding glass door done with a 4mil film not so much for intruder protection but the safety of my kids and to cut down the heat from the sun. I some of the other windows on that side of the house myself but had the security film done by the guys from the glass shop since the tint was bad enough and everything I read said the film was harder to do. The stuff is pretty tough, the tint on the kids bedroom window has scratches in it from the blinds while the sliding glass door has vertical blinds that don't contact it the kids do run there cars and toys against it and there are no scratches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long-shot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I find this technology interesting and I see videos of people installing it themselves. I have a couple places I'd like to use this for intruder resistance and airborne debris protection.

Does anyone have specific experience with these products? Can these products be purchased by homeowners without a dealer? Thanks.

jeff </div></div>

Check this company out, http://www.armorglass.com/

I tinted windows (house/business/cars) off and on in high-skrul and still do when family asks for it or I get a new car. JRose nailed it in terms of prep and not putting creases in the film. I personally like to really wet down both the glass, the tint, and my hands. The best tool is a credit card or similar type card, the hard plastic and edge are far better than any of the crap they send you in a kit. I actually have a collection of cards that I've cut up into different shapes to get into various odd places. One major thing that will really help is to wet down the non-sticky side of the tint once you have it up and are moving into the pushing air bubbles out phase, this lubes the tint so it's easier to push out the soapy-water/air mixture between the glass and the tint. Make sure to have at least one giant spray bottle full of your soapy sol. and a hot hair-dryer or heat gun set on low, this will solve temperamental edges. The only thing that JRose mentioned that I don't do is to cut your template smaller than the window. I always cut at least 1/2" bigger all around and then trim with an Exacto once the tint is up and almost 100% that way you don't have any gaps and it gives you some slop which is awesome when you realize you've got it up and sticking in some places a and you realize the whole piece is tilted or whatever a little.

As far as security... The only thing tint will do is stop prying eyes and hold a shattered piece of glass together which is actually handy for thieves because instead of making a shit ton of noise (shattering glass) it just cracks and can be handled easily. I conventional screwdriver twisted between the glass and the frame will shatter the glass (I could never make a spark plug work) and with tint you can just easily take the whole thing out and put it on the ground because the tint holds it all together.

I've worked in the window film industry for 10+ yrs, as Jrose said tint and security film is NOT easy to work with especially for a beginner.

Anyone seeking info on a manufacture can look up 3m, suntek, and johnson window films.

As a warning, the edges of safety film are very sharp and should be careful when handling the film.