• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Seekins Ring Height

daxromana

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Minuteman
May 24, 2009
Iowa
The new 10/22 trainer is almost finished. I have a sported thumb hole stock coming from Clark Custom Guns and plan to mount a Falcon 4-16FFP Scope on top of a Volquartsen Picatinny rail.

Stock:
http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/images/stocks/tundrabone.jpg

Scope Base:
https://www.volquartsen.com/products/495-1022-picatinny-scope-mount-black

What height of Seekins Rings? I have an average width face and like a fairly tight weld.

Do I just order and hope I get it right? Or do I wait until the rifle comes in and try to figure then?

Any advice appreciated.

Re: Seekins Ring Height

If the scope is 44mm or less I'd try lows. They should work, but the straight comb / raised cheekpiece of that stock might confound things? that looks like a high rail.

Scott

FWIW, I have a 50mm obj scope (30mm main tube) on a flat EGW rail on my 10/22 with TacSol barrel.
I am using Seekins low 30mm rings with plenty of clearance for the Butler Creek obj cover.

Here is a pic of said rifle...and a munchkin that has laid claim to it.
IMG_4885.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The new 10/22 trainer is almost finished. I have a sported thumb hole stock coming from Clark Custom Guns and plan to mount a Falcon 4-16FFP Scope on top of a Volquartsen Picatinny rail.

Stock:
http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/images/stocks/tundrabone.jpg

Scope Base:
https://www.volquartsen.com/products/495-1022-picatinny-scope-mount-black

What height of Seekins Rings? I have an average width face and like a fairly tight weld.

Do I just order and hope I get it right? Or do I wait until the rifle comes in and try to figure then?

Any advice appreciated. </div></div>
I surmise that you will be mounting a Falcon 4-14X 44mm FFP, as Falcon does not offer a 4-16X FFP. Go with the Seekins LOWS. I had a Falcon FFP 4-14X 44mm MIL/MIL ML16 mounted very briefly on my threaded barrel MOA 10/22 in Seekins LOWS and sitting on an <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">EGW 20 MOA Extended Picatinny Rail</span></span> and I had enough room for my BC Flip Opens (<span style="font-weight: bold">#19 EYE, #34 Objective</span>). I took the scope off and sent it back after 1 day because my scope had a canted reticle. Other than that it was a great scope - great features and tracked well (although I only had my scope mounted for a day). Really good FFP for $400.00.

I mention that my MOA 10/22 has a threaded barrel because threaded barrel 10/22s' typically have less barrel-to-scope clearance than non-threaded barrel 10/22s' (a properly machined, threaded barrel/receiver unit eliminates the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Barrel Droop"</span></span> inherent in the 10/22's design). <span style="font-style: italic">So, as much as I advise people to take their own measurements using off of their own equipment that they'll be using</span> I'm confident that the Seekins LOWS will work well for you.

Also, how far are you going to be shooting? While the FFP Falcon 4-14X 44mms' have a lot of elevation travel and will easily get you to 100 yards I recommend that you use an <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">EGW 10/22 Extended Picatinny Rail</span></span>. This will allow you to zero close (50 yards, possibly less) and still be able to dial out to 200 yards or more. I was about 2 MILS short of 300 yards using Winchester Super-X High Velocity. YMMV.

Some threads that you may find interesting are:

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Longrange with a 10/22</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">10/22 barrel droop adjustment</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">10/22 threaded receivers and barrels?</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">30 MOA Base for 10/22</span></span>

Some other key advice: Don't drink the RFC KoolAide.

Keith

Lows it is! Thanks for all the input guys. I am hoping to have this all ready to go in a few weeks. I will post a range report in the rimfire section once I have a chance to put the rifle and scope through the paces. It should be a fun setup.

-Mike