• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

self winding tactical watches.... suggestions please

Some of the Rescos are also available via (I think it was) Gov X or one of those military discount clearing houses.

The other thing is, also ping "[email protected]", "Mrs. Smitty" (Owner's wife) will usually answer, and they generally have some blems for decent prices/discounts. Most of the time, the blem either isn't noticeable, or it's on the underside and never seen. I have one blem, and for the life of me, I couldn't find it. Even after Mrs. Smitty told me where it was at.

Finally, look at the models. Some are Quartz only, and some are either/or. Their warranty is the tits as well (it follows the watch, not the owner).

ETA: There's also a 10% AD military discount. 15% if your BUD/S rated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chief_Rick
Late to the party here. For a 1k budget and accurate time piece that is rugged, Christopher Ward makes a solid watch. I have had both quartz and autos from their dive lines and am very pleased with them. I believe they have a COSC product like right at 1k.

My range and field watch is either a Gshock ga100 or a Glycine combat sub. If you are unsure of what route to take before jumping in to a horological rabbit hole, just buy a Seiko diver with nh35a and further your knowledge while you bide time.

Good luck
I really do like a few of those Christopher Ward watches. Thanks.

Reactions: Austinjunks
The man knows his watches.:) I own a Damasko DC56 (actually no. 0031). Other than on obscure watch forums, I've never heard anyone ever mention this brand, much less seen one in the wild. I've had mine for years, gone through 4 straps, and the watch still looks like it did the day I bought it.

I took my DA42 (Orange - for "gun safety awareness" and s/n in the teens) home a couple years ago, but it was a Bavarian Holiday and the store in Regensburg was closed. Probably save me a lot of money in not buying the bracelet...
IMG_0618.JPG

Last edited:
Ugh! My daughter did her junior year abroad in Germany a number of years ago and we went to visit her at the end of her academic year. Spent a couple of days in Regensburg (a really beautiful city) and never realized that Damasko was there. But your right, it probably saved me money as well. At the very least would have picked up another strap to replace the kind of crappy canvas strap I have on it now.

Reactions: smithjd
Damasko and their “ice-hardened” steel. Excellent products.
Tutima is also another underrated company.

If you see a COSC one, they are worth the premium as that test and certification process is pretty arduous.

Another brand that you may want to look at is

RESCO Instruments

I don't own one yet but will soon. @sirhrmechanic owns a number of them and swears by their durability and accuracy.
Resco hard to beat.

High end watches... I have then all. Rolex, Omega, Breitling, Patek, Heuer... you name it. Mostly investment stuff.

The ones I wear every day are Resco’s.

Rugged. Great designs. Stealthy. Solid community of wearers... kind of a small tight family like this place. Only those who have them really know what they have.

Sirhr

Last edited:
Reactions: MarinePMI
It's a poors watch but I really like my Seiko SBDC-001 "Sumo". It's self winding, "hacks", has a 28000 BPM 23 jewel movement, is waterproof to 200m, and (and this is a personal thing) has the crown at the 4 o'clock because I HATE crowns at the 3 o'clock. It's a nice daily beater.

Because of this thread I went and bought a Sangin Dark Merlin. 6 hours of sun and 6 months of time keeping? Incredible.

As long as we don't scorch the sky to battle the machines when they rise up, I'll be ok.

Currently I'm wearing a Garmin fenix 5. But if SHTF it only holds charge for 2 weeks

You guys are a very bad influence. How am I supposed to buy overpriced reloading components if I have to save all my mad money for a new watch? I was better off not knowing what a Sangin dark merlin was, and now it is on my list. I should have stayed out of this thread.

Reactions: Austinjunks
You guys are a very bad influence. How am I supposed to buy overpriced reloading components if I have to save all my mad money for a new watch? I was better off not knowing what a Sangin dark merlin was, and now it is on my list. I should have stayed out of this thread.
Check out WatchRecon.

If you're wanting a tough automatic movement watch with chrono check out Victorinox AirBoss. Can sometimes find pretty awesome deals on eBay, I picked one up for <$500.

I'm usually not a fan of pandas, but that's a pretty nice watch. Enjoy!
Thank you. The selection wasn't great and with my eyes, I really struggle with the black face/black hand watches - the magnified date helps as well. This watch is also fairly lightweight and I like the rubber strap with folding clasp.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one in the timepiece rabbit hole.

You guys dragged me into the optics rabbit hole.:)

I have four brand new Wolf modular 4.1 watch winders for sale with feet option these retail $400 ea and feet around $30

sell all the winders and feet with all included factory manual /accessories for $800 plus shipping

these could help ya guys with mechanical auto watches stay going for a bit more
F39BFA10-184B-4EA4-8388-528CE65DF274.jpeg
775EFF6E-C878-4C46-81A3-D536D7C40DE6.jpeg

Most of the new Breitlings are now available DLC coated, doesn’t get much tougher than that and Breitlings are great watches. You’re not getting one for a grand though, I paid $5300 OTD for a new DLC’d Superocean 46 a few weeks ago. A good watch is worth it though.

They make some tactical versions of the Avenger as well. Either an Avenger night mission or Rolex GMT Master Pepsi will be my next watch purchase.

If you are looking for something dead simple and reliable to beat on pick up a Seiko Divers (e.g. SK007). There is a big modding community so if you want to dress it up you can to your heart's content (straps / bracelets, crystals, bezels, faceplates etc - check out Uncle Seiko for period correct rubber straps). I have two and they get thrashed in the outdoors and regularly dumped in the surf and have held up brilliantly. Good enough for dudes fighting in the jungles of Vietnam - good enough for me. You can spend many multiples more (and I have) but these are fit for purpose and just work. If the S-actually-HTF, you're not gonna be worried about +/- 5 seconds a day ...

for those interested, i have been keeping my eyes open for a Seiko "Arnie" and since i had searched for it in Google, the all-knowing AI alerted me that one was on sale at Macy's, of all places, with the all black at $380 shipped. everywhere else they are going for $550.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/...rap-watch-47.8mm?ID=11437094&CategoryID=23930

arnie-arnie.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: tacops1
They are rather affordable, and I think you get a lot of bang for your buck with Orient. They are a Japanese company, owned now by Seiko, they manufacture in house movements and make some really nice pieces. I love my Triton diver, but I think they changed the name of it recently. They just kicked off their Black Friday sale, which is their biggest sale of the year.
EFBC86FB-2443-40C4-8F6F-141A5ECB6579.jpeg

for those interested, i have been keeping my eyes open for a Seiko "Arnie" and since i had searched for it in Google, the all-knowing AI alerted me that one was on sale at Macy's, of all places, with the all black at $380 shipped. everywhere else they are going for $550.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/...rap-watch-47.8mm?ID=11437094&CategoryID=23930

arnie-arnie.jpg

@Charger442 : They're now showing it as reduced to $336 for Black Friday. :)

I've had a Seiko Kinetic for years.
Battery watches die on me after a week or two.
It's a 200m divers watch, stainless steel.
Certainly survived every climate and altitude I've been through.

not looking for a wrist watch that runs off of battery power... something that is mechanical, accurate, should be self winding not manually wound... with tactical ruggedness... and for less than $1,000.... not looking to spend on Rolex, Omega, etc.
Try Marathon. They are military issued as well. Canadian company and swiss made. I’ve been given mine for years now and like it better than my seamaster. One of my favorite features is that it has tritium instead of phosphorus.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 62
Try Marathon. They are military issued as well. Canadian company and swiss made. I’ve been given mine for years now and like it better than my seamaster. One of my favorite features is that it has tritium instead of phosphorus.
I have one of these I am trying to sell. Not sure where you sell watches though. I want the bigger jumbo size one. Marathon watches are extremely durable and i get asked about it all the time.

They are rather affordable, and I think you get a lot of bang for your buck with Orient. They are a Japanese company, owned now by Seiko, they manufacture in house movements and make some really nice pieces. I love my Triton diver, but I think they changed the name of it recently. They just kicked off their Black Friday sale, which is their biggest sale of the year.
View attachment 7481598
I think it is now called the Neptune aka the "Baby" Pro Saturation. Which reminds me... RIP Pro Saturation Diver. Can't find one to save my life!

Reactions: WirgmanUSMC
I'm a recovering watch nerd and have a few nice pieces... my EDC is usually either a Tudor Pelagos LHD or an OG Seiko Orange Monster, and I've got a Deep Sea that makes appearances at special occasions sometimes...

I'm a fan of some of the boutique small batch dive/tool watch makers out there too though, and there is some cool stuff out there if one is willing to go off the beaten path, one of my favorites is my Armida A1 with domed sapphire and ETA movement, their stuff is worth checking out: https://www.armidawatches.com/collection.php#!/Armida-A1-45mm/c/22784162

If you can find an Artego at a reasonable price (no longer made), they're awesome and were one of the first that pretty much started the whole small batch dive/tool watch thing.

It's never a bad idea to rock a Seiko SKX007, that's the Glock 19 of tool watches as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
I have one of these I am trying to sell. Not sure where you sell watches though. I want the bigger jumbo size one. Marathon watches are extremely durable and i get asked about it all the time.
There are companies that do resell. You can look them up on youtube. there was one guy I think with the name of Baldassarre, he’ll have a lot of info. Otherwise ebay is a choice. Or maybe someone will be interested here.

For a great tough as nails watch go to a watch store or a bigger Walmart and buy the solar battery G Shock with the black plastic band , you can get them on eBay too. I bought mine in 2002, wore it everyday since then , spent 20 years on the fire department and it never let me down . Several other guys have the same watch , they never fail , same battery still going just from normal use . Best 70$ I ever spent on a watch . It's atomic so never needs setting either . New ones now are about 100$ I think . I'm on my 3 rd band in 18 years , bands are about 35$.

I'm a recovering watch nerd and have a few nice pieces... my EDC is usually either a Tudor Pelagos LHD or an OG Seiko Orange Monster, and I've got a Deep Sea that makes appearances at special occasions sometimes...

I'm a fan of some of the boutique small batch dive/tool watch makers out there too though, and there is some cool stuff out there if one is willing to go off the beaten path, one of my favorites is my Armida A1 with domed sapphire and ETA movement, their stuff is worth checking out: https://www.armidawatches.com/collection.php#!/Armida-A1-45mm/c/22784162

If you can find an Artego at a reasonable price (no longer made), they're awesome and were one of the first that pretty much started the whole small batch dive/tool watch thing.

It's never a bad idea to rock a Seiko SKX007, that's the Glock 19 of tool watches as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for posting that. I'm liking that Armida GMT.

I've got a number of custom 007s and 013s, a 1 of 1 S&B diver, 1 luminox (SEAL velcro band for shooting matches), and a Squale militaire.

Reactions: CK1.0 and nikonNUT
no hun I swear I am not jacking of I am winding my watch lol
1633041432951.png

Not to thread Jack,
But do any of you hard core watch guys know what the best way would be for me to sell these old Hamilton's without having an auction site account?

7A4DEB0F-B902-434D-B4AA-5220F7B52E89.jpeg

A 60's Masterpiece and WWII AN5740.

Reactions: aam
There are companies that do resell. You can look them up on youtube. there was one guy I think with the name of Baldassarre, he’ll have a lot of info. Otherwise ebay is a choice. Or maybe someone will be interested here.
watchuseek.com is another website for finding watches.

My current watch is a casio gshock mtg 900. I wear it all of the time.
View attachment 7407502

The ONLY watch I would consider replacing it with is the gshock mudmaster gwg1000 or if it gets updated.
View attachment 7407503
Solar, atomic radio sync time keeping, crystal recessed close to 0.100in, 20bar, stopwatch (same as what I have now). Altimeter, barometer, compass, thermometer, sapphire crystal (mudmaster only).

Mudmaster is only $800.

Why would I want a fancy automatic watch that I would bust the crystal in no time for alot more money? I work as an aerospace machinist and I never take my watch off. My cutting fluid is oil and sometimes my watch get dunked in solvent 142 (fancy mineral spirits).
Love my gwg1000, the only watch I wear out in the field!

Citizen Eco-Drive of your liking. I'd recommend any of the World Chronograph A-Ts. Radio Controlled/Atomic time. Solar. Perpetual calendar.

I have three Eco-Drives including the aforementioned World Chronograph A-T. I quit wearing any of them since converting to an AppleWatch six years ago. Since then all three were stored in a dark box and eventually killed the battery. Actually you never kill the battery/capcitor. It goes into a low energy mode. I pulled them all out about a month or so ago and all three began working in low energy mode and eventually began normal operation within a few hours. The World Chronograph updated shortly after recovering and was in sync w/ my AppleWatch and my iPhone. Since it's updated daily, it's still in step w/ both the AppleWatch and iPhone. Amazing the capacitors were able to maintain such a minimal charge and then recover completely (the Wold A-T has a battery meter) and just continue to work. I purchased the Citizens beginning in 2012 and ending in 2014, so all the capacitors (they don't use a battery) are pushing 8-10 years and still holding. The A-T has a sapphire crystal as well.

My G-Shock Rangeman is spot on with NIST time. Does so much shit ...like trying to learn Chinese Arithmetic 🙈. Some have ISO Standards for Dive Watches. Not so much needed, but nice to know. Best bang for the buck imo , might be a Seiko Prospex Auto ?
The Seiko Emperors Tuna is COSC accurate , I wear it diving with a computer. Redundancy and such 👍 View attachment 7406905

tuna? Nice!

As far as self winding tactical, marathon SAR would be the easy choice

My watch of choice for most missions
55-ED056-D-44-B5-4-A8-F-AB75-31-B18-B1-D575-A.jpg

cool stuff here too

Last edited:
tuna? Nice!

As far as self winding tactical, marathon SAR would be the easy choice

My watch of choice for most missions
55-ED056-D-44-B5-4-A8-F-AB75-31-B18-B1-D575-A.jpg

cool stuff here too
The Tuna comes from the shroud that surrounds the body and bezel. Since it favors a Tuna can , the nickname stuck. Mine is ceramic , the watch is mostly titanium.

Dig your Omega ! I had a Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean with a older 2500 movement. It stopped numerous times, oil issue.
Didn’t wear it much , so I let it go. Used a better picture of a Tuna than I can take.

Attachments

• 8A151826-9F02-4CDE-B924-2B12666F1652.png
    8A151826-9F02-4CDE-B924-2B12666F1652.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Reactions: TurboTrout
Almost , but Nah ,

Not even one real Tactical watch , shown , not ONE , as every one is missing a important element , maybe guys that who worked on radio codes ( old days ) maybe able to guess the missing element , the hint is they are rare and maybe so rare as to you never having seen one , counter intuitive in reading it over std analog .

Later Chris