• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Selling all my guns...

Bakwa

Prophetic Marksman
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 22, 2017
    FL
    Selling all my guns... ...that I don't need... Should I?

Let me start by saying that I love all of my firearms that I have. It's taken over a decade to acquire my current collection. But I'm not a collector, I'm a shooter.

It's slowly become a chore to continue to shoot and train on what I have in order to justify owning them. Not just that, but many of my guns are now valued significantly higher than what I paid for them. [VEPR, Milled AK's, Colt AR's, Seecamp, 1903A3, Etc...]
    I'm seriously considering cashing in on a lot of these now "collectable" guns and putting the money into practical things that I'll probably use more often.

Am I crazy for thinking this way? Maybe I'm having some sort of mid-life crisis or something. I don't have a huge house or a lot of room to store stuff so it's becoming harder to justify having all these things.

I've done much the same, generally speaking, and am better off for it. Clean house. If you're not sure about one. Put it aside for a week or two. Shoot it again. Then remind yourself, there are a lot of other guns out there. Don't sweat it.

Wise decision. why have a bunch of stuff around that just collects dust? Move it for stuff youll use.

Reactions: Bakwa
    Midlife crisis??? Not really. I just think that you are being more practical and focusing on more essential things in your life than "biting off more than you can chew"...

If this current COVID madness has reminded us of anything, it is that things can change very quickly, and you'd want to adapt your living conditions to be able to meet that change or turbulence if it comes. If I had safe queens which are not being shot or displayed or anything else, I would be selling them too and placing the money into secure storage or into life essentials such as ammunition and spare parts for your daily carry and defensive firearms, as well as food and medications if anyone in your family needs long term medications.

Midlife crisis??? Not really. I just think that you are being more practical and focusing on more essential things in your life than "biting off more than you can chew"...

If this current COVID madness has reminded us of anything, it is that things can change very quickly, and you'd want to adapt your living conditions to be able to meet that change or turbulence if it comes. If I had safe queens which are not being shot or displayed or anything else, I would be selling them too and placing the money into secure storage or into life essentials such as ammunition and spare parts for your daily carry and defensive firearms, as well as food and medications if anyone in your family needs long term medications.
    You left out toilet paper😂

Grandpa used to say you don’t get rid of guns or tools. Pass me on if you have kids.

Cash in while the market is hot and get something you will use or just save the money. I sold about 20 guns since Covid started and bought one new one. I also sold a bunch of red dot optics and accessories. I cashed in on mostly stuff that I had little use for and hadn’t shot in a long time. I still have another 10 I could sell without worry, but some are those sentimental type that I should probably keep. I bought some optics and accessories I wanted, and paid off my wife’s SUV with the proceeds. Purging felt really good and I want to sell more stuff. I’ve always been kind of a pack rat with any of my hobbies, that really needs to come to an end.

Let me start by saying that I love all of my firearms that I have. It's taken over a decade to acquire my current collection. But I'm not a collector, I'm a shooter.

It's slowly become a chore to continue to shoot and train on what I have in order to justify owning them. Not just that, but many of my guns are now valued significantly higher than what I paid for them. [VEPR, Milled AK's, Colt AR's, Seecamp, 1903A3, Etc...]
    I'm seriously considering cashing in on a lot of these now "collectable" guns and putting the money into practical things that I'll probably use more often.

Am I crazy for thinking this way? Maybe I'm having some sort of mid-life crisis or something. I don't have a huge house or a lot of room to store stuff so it's becoming harder to justify having all these things.
    I'm a big believer in getting rid of things that don't get used and using the cash for things I use or will use a lot. I was a rabid thermal hog hunter, but got 'tired' of being tired all the time yes old man set it....turned it into a suppressor and a 6.5 to move into itching my LR obsession. No kidding milled AK's have been selling for 2k in Tampa....they are listed....and gone within hours. I inquired on a few with offers as I'm trying to help my neighbor source an AK and guys were really nice 'sorry man I can put you in line as a backup, but have several full price offers waiting for cash to show up.' Slowed a bit since bolognavirus emerged from woohaz, but I believe sales will spike again once General Election fears hit...ammo and firearms up and up!

I went thru the same thing, sold a couple I hadn't shot in a long while, then before I walked out of the LGS, turned around and bought something else, I'd at least shoot more.
    Damn-it! Mac:D

I went thru the same thing, sold a couple I hadn't shot in a long while, then before I walked out of the LGS, turned around and bought something else, I'd at least shoot more.
    Damn-it! Mac:D

You sold guns to a gun store rather than private party? I won’t leave money on the table like that.

F56F51E1-414B-4C6C-827E-0DD6C675D991.jpeg

Last edited:
    I’d like to sell a few of my shotguns. And I have a rifle I’d like to sell also. I’m tired of a clogged up gun safe. The one I have is made for storing guns, not getting them out. It’s such a pain. Speaking of, I’d like to find a wall mountable armory of some sort. To store my rifles in the closet for home defense. As it is now, I don’t have quick access to them.

Reactions: deersniper
    I’d like to sell a few of my shotguns. And I have a rifle I’d like to sell also. I’m tired of a clogged up gun safe. The one I have is made for storing guns, not getting them out. It’s such a pain. Speaking of, I’d like to find a wall mountable armory of some sort. To store my rifles in the closet for home defense. As it is now, I don’t have quick access to them.

Set out a basic defensive array of a couple of handguns and one shotgun. Remember, a shotgun with slugs equal a general purpose rifle. Unless you shoot PRS and have a dedicated rig just for that sport, there is no need to have redundant rifles, with the exception of heirloom pieces or ones that you intend to sell at a later time.

Personally I wouldn't sell them, keep them and hand them down to a son or daughter.

Not an option for some of us. I’m kid free (yes, it’s as awesome as you think) so nobody to pass stuff down to. My brother in law has two daughters who were raised in CA and hate guns, my brother has a daughter who is 5 and is being raised right but in Washington state near Tacoma so who knows. Unless the girls happen to marry well I doubt anyone I’m related to will want my shit when I die. I’ll probably sell off all but a handful of things when I hit retirement age and won’t worry about the rest when I pass. The way things are going, who knows what may or may not even be legal to transfer in 40 years.

Wise decision to sell. Hope you are planning to buy bigger guns? ;)

I have no heirs to speak, but have designations for my guns. It was easy for me to dump guns that I had bought when younger, Rem 700's, Win 70's, Browning shotguns, Rem shotguns, 1911's, Colt revolvers, settling on a collection of damn nice firearms I can shoot, enjoy, but take care of. I had a Ed Brown 1911 that sat in my safe for 3 yrs before firing it, still have it, can't sell it, my initials engraved on the slide, idiot.
    I'm in the sell camp, if you question why you own it now, give it 10 yrs, it wont make it better.

Not an option for some of us. I’m kid free (yes, it’s as awesome as you think) so nobody to pass stuff down to. My brother in law has two daughters who were raised in CA and hate guns, my brother has a daughter who is 5 and is being raised right but in Washington state near Tacoma so who knows. Unless the girls happen to marry well I doubt anyone I’m related to will want my shit when I die. I’ll probably sell off all but a handful of things when I hit retirement age and won’t worry about the rest when I pass. The way things are going, who knows what may or may not even be legal to transfer in 40 years.
    In a situation like that I understand perhaps selling some.

I went through this some years ago. I love my guns, but I got to a point where it'd take a solid day in maintenance. What I have left is my hunting rifles, my wife and daughter's hunting rifles, an M1 Garand that I'd let go of if I found the right buyer (couldn't pass up the deal for a 300,000 serial number), my couple of off duty and backup guns and ones that belonged to my father and grandfather. Even that is more than I want, but I couldn't stand the thought of their guns going away with their properties. My family would've just assumed they were sold with the houses. Lots of sentimental value in them, but they'll never strike a primer again.

In my teens and 20's I liked having a cache of weapons, but the older I get, the more I realize how important it is to be proficient with what I'll use, rather than just having guns to merely say that I have them.

At the end of the day, it boils down to personal preference. There's really no wrong answer. You have to decide if the proverbial juice is worth the squeeze for you.

Reactions: broncoaz
    I used to have 60 rifles/shotguns/handguns
    40 knives, multiples of scopes/spotters etc

Thinned the herd, bought better stuff, kept the pass on sentimental pieces and ones I use. Down to a manageable 20 guns, the optics I use, buying another ZCO and picked up this COVID special leftover ‘19 Shelby GT350.

60205FBF-6CE7-4746-8697-9B89C04E795E.jpeg
    205E7453-785E-4F26-A2E7-2E13C4F4C9F5.jpeg

Last edited:
    I used to have 60 rifles/shotguns/handguns
    40 knives, multiples of scopes/spotters etc

Thinned the herd, bought better stuff, kept the pass on sentimental pieces and ones I use. Down to a manageable 20 guns, the optics I use, buying another ZCO and picked up this COVID special leftover ‘19 Shelby GT350.

View attachment 7335658
    Nice ride!

I do this about every 10 years or so. I sold 11 last February and still have 2 up for sale. These were guns that I either lost interest in or that I originally bought as investments. I'm old enough now to be thinking about what the family will have to deal with once I'm gone so I offered them to both boys before I sold them. After this virus thing is over I'll take that money and buy one or two that I will shoot more often. So far I have bought a trigger, a barrel and a scope.

Reactions: 10ring'r
    Set out a basic defensive array of a couple of handguns and one shotgun. Remember, a shotgun with slugs equal a general purpose rifle. Unless you shoot PRS and have a dedicated rig just for that sport, there is no need to have redundant rifles, with the exception of heirloom pieces or ones that you intend to sell at a later time.
    No need for redundant firearms?

You all make terrible pack rats or preppers

Add in worrying about stuff being banned.

Reactions: Doc68
    I had a buddy, out of the blue, make me an offer on an Arsenal SLR-107 a few weeks ago... It's now his...

I had owned it 4 years and put 120 rounds through it... I bought 2 cases of ammo, 1 was still sealed, the other had 880 rounds in it... Sold him that too since I have zero other x39 guns...

Ive got a few other odds and ends I would sell, but not many, maybe 4 or 5 out of 30 or so I own. Ive got 2 shotguns I would sell, but they are cheap ass Stoegers that arent worth anything.

I had a buddy, out of the blue, make me an offer on an Arsenal SLR-107 a few weeks ago... It's now his...

I had owned it 4 years and put 120 rounds through it... I bought 2 cases of ammo, 1 was still sealed, the other had 880 rounds in it... Sold him that too since I have zero other x39 guns...

Ive got a few other odds and ends I would sell, but not many, maybe 4 or 5 out of 30 or so I own. Ive got 2 shotguns I would sell, but they are cheap ass Stoegers that arent worth anything.
    Send the shotguns my way. I'll even pay for shipping.:ROFLMAO:

Personally I would wait until after November before selling any guns....

Normally I‘d feel the same way, but the shortage of handguns made that market very strong. I doubt I could have done much better in November. Shotguns were in large demand, but AR’s and AK’s weren’t moving. The focus seemed to be something for home protection rather than something that may be banned. I listed a BCM AR with two mags and 100 rounds of ammo for $1050, no takers. I did sell a C39V2 AK new in box for $950, but it took 3 weeks. I think November will be the time for best value on AR’s and AK’s.

I’m sort of in that same process. Got into the AR thing and went nuts. Now I look at what I have and realize it was a bit excessive, to include accessories. Tons of relatively decent stuff just laying about (guns in a safe of course). Hate to add up all the work hours I put in to earn the money to build the same AR in another color.

i only have what i need, but i could always need more.