• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Semi rifle questions

Pok

Private
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
PA
Im thinking about buying a semi. I am almost completely sold on a M1A or similar. I Think they look sexy as hell. That and the nostalgic throwback, really might be enough for me.

With the introduction of newer aftermarket stock choices, can they be made reliably accurate? Can the barrels free float (they can on AR platforms yes?) Is free floating necessary for accuracy in a semi? Can thicker barrels be installed by a competent smith, and will it change the muzzle end appearance drastically? (the muzzle end is a major nostalgic look for me).

Is the chance for slam firing a real concern with modern factory loads? (might be a deal breaker for me).

Are there any inherent disadvantages with the gas system (other than the cap as ive read)? Is it better or worse than the AR platform gas system?

I have done searches, and learned some, but would like to see if anyone wants to chime in. I tend to be soo extremely anal before spending soo much on something I dont actually "need". I appreciate any opinions, as I have been reading here awhile, and respect this site as a good place to find knowledge. Please try to resist flaming me for asking noob questions. I know AR platforms are popular, I just dont like the look of them for some reason. I dont think id be as happy with one as my new toy.

If some very experienced soul thinks that I am focusing on something silly, or thinks I should focus on another aspect of purchasing a semi, then please let me know.

Edit: I dont expect bolt rifle accuracy from a semi. Imo any rifle should be considered accurate though, or whats the point? That is why my questions are based about accuracy above all else.

Re: Semi rifle questions

Well, it sounds like looking "sexy" is whats important to you so get what you like the looks of a call it good. Of course a lot of people will dissagree with you there too
wink.gif
. From what I understand though, it takes pretty serious cash to get the m1a's to shoot with a good AR. The AR platform is inherantly accurate and there are a ton of quality parts available to accuraize them and a lot of smiths that know how to do it. Not to mention the AR's are available in a wide viriaty of cartraiges to meet almost anyones requirements. Several years back I sold a very nice Garrand to fund the desire I had for an AR10T. As good a shooter as the Garand was, it wasn't in the same league as my "T" as far a long range accuracy goes. I wouldn't trade the "T" back for it but I do miss the Garand. I shoot the T way more than I ever would have the Garand though. Its just a matter of personal preference, I'm sure you'll enjoy witchever you choose. Good luck.

okie

I have an M1a, and while it may not be as accurate as my bolt gun or my POF I still love it. There are other aspects of shooting beyond precision shooting. If I want to put multiple bullets through the same hole I grab the bolt gun. If I am going hunting, walking through the woods, or just plinking I grab the M1a. It is very fun to shoot!

I have never had a problem with slam fires, but I usually use mil surp ammo or ammo I have reloaded.

My 2 cents!

Another question is about makers.

Who makes a good m1a/m14, and what is important in buying one? for example:

LRB makes a "forged receiver". It is hammer forged and then milled. If you forge a billet and then machine it, doesnt that just make it the same as any machined piece? Is it better with the quality of modern steel to have something forged before machining it, or is this just a marketing ploy?

Is it necessary for a receiver to be made from steel, or will something else last just as long (longer than a cpl lifetimes if cared for)?

Are the fulton armory receivers steel?
Are the Springfield Armory products not so good as I have read?

Is the receiver the part of the assembly that is "the rifle" for weapons ban purposes? I want one of these rifles badly. They just appeal to me, but cant afford to buy exactly what I want, which is top end. I might buy a receiver and magazines and store them away until I can get exactly what I want, expecting those things to become unavailable later. I cant hunt with a semi rifle in PA, so this project will be a toy labor of love I suppose with no rush to finishing it, as long as I get the pieces I need before (if) they come off the market.

The most attrective parts of the design im attracted to are the muzzle end, and the rear sight. (looks wise... the reputation for reliability is the functional attraction)

the difference is going to be between forged recievers and cast receivers. All will require machining. Forged are stronger.

At least that is how I recall it.