• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sending package to a Marine downrange

Douglas-001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2012
50 miles west of Camp Perry
An outstanding Marine who has become a friend of mine has arrived in Astan just recently. I took him to the range just before he left and he worked out on a 700P. Look out sniper school! I now have his address-his wife and my daughter have been best friends since kindergarten, about 15 years now-could members advise the best shipping method? UPS? FEDEX? USPS? Will items actually make it there? Will sticky fingers open the contents? How long to arrive? Weeks? Months? I asked him if he knew where he was going, he laughed and asked me if I knew about OPSEC? Yup. Sure do. Anywho, I know what I shouldn't send so I'll keep it on the good side. Often, I look around and even meet the younger generation, and I see what's wrong with our nation. I then meet men like this Marine, and I see what's RIGHT with our nation and have told him such. I know that many members have been there or are still deployed, so I would greatly appreciate any input in this regards. Thank you.

Doug

Mail will usually go to Camp Leatherneck, then will either be forwarded to where he is, or he will have to go pick up the package there where his unit is. I was attached to a British unit so when I got care packages, I had to go to the kennels at Leatherneck where our unit address was and get the mail myself. If he will be at an American base or FOB then the mail should be picked up or dropped off for/to him. It takes roughly 2-3 weeks depending on time frame. Around holidays, expect that to be closer to 3-4. USPS is usually just fine and besides X-RAY, I never noticed any tampering with my packages. They WILL arrived beat up though, so pack it well.

Hope this helps.

USPS is how we got all of our mail when I was deployed like JB5812 said if he is in Afghanistan it will go to Leatherneck and get dispersed from there.

the above posters are correct. Do not waste your money on and costly shipping as it only goes faster in the states. Once it meets its export location it goes by available mail to and APO address. And that address should not have a specific location in it-for opsec reasons. Marines and all services love packages so send it.

Semper Fi

Thank you for the help members. A follow up text to his wife -who has just moved back home while he's deployed- confirms that USPS is the best way to go. I know that he doesn't smoke, but I was considering sending a pack of smokes and maybe a can of skoal, I'm sure some of his friends smoke. I imagine that now alot of stuff is available, but if there are some things that would not be so readily on hand, I'm open to all suggestions. Again, thank you, and welcome home members!

Doug

P.S. I'll get this sent out by the end of the week, and plan to send things out about every 3-4 weeks.

I'd send cigars instead of cigs and/or dip. Every base I ever went to in A-stan had dudes looking for cigars. Baby wipes are always good package stuffers, as are bottles of hot sauce. If I got cigars, hot sauce, and baby wipes in my care packages, I was a happy man. YMMV.

Thank you for the help members. A follow up text to his wife -who has just moved back home while he's deployed- confirms that USPS is the best way to go. I know that he doesn't smoke, but I was considering sending a pack of smokes and maybe a can of skoal, I'm sure some of his friends smoke. I imagine that now alot of stuff is available, but if there are some things that would not be so readily on hand, I'm open to all suggestions. Again, thank you, and welcome home members!

Doug

P.S. I'll get this sent out by the end of the week, and plan to send things out about every 3-4 weeks.

If you decide to send cigars, I would be happy to donate some and send them to you and you could send them in your package if you want. Just send me a PM.

Jim

Thank you members! I wasn't expecting such a generous response! Let me get in touch with his wife, her folks live 5 min. from my house, and ask her what she thinks about this idea. I believe they can commo via facebook, but I'm not 100% positive about that. Maybe she can ask him outright for his feelings on such a move. In the meantime, some PM's sent to posting members. Thank you all.

Doug

Update

I just spoke with his wife (The CO) and she advises that he would welcome any
and all packages from friends and family. They get to talk once a day for a few minutes if lucky as he has no downtime. Works from 0500-2100HRS. He was moved from the big base Leatherneck? to a much more primitive location. No running water, no internet, all rather rustic. Again a sincere thank you to members and their advice. I fully realize that there so many men and women still away from home, and he's not the only one down range. I feel selfish saying this, but If any members want to send something out to him, drop me a PM and I will forward his address to you. Thank you.

Doug

Have been sending boxes to deployed troops for over 11 years. Go to the Post office and get the large flat rate postage boxes and also some custom forms. Fill the box with as much as you can because I believe the weight limit is 60 lb. Ships for 14.95. You can sent cigars and snuff, but illegal to send cigarettes. If you need any other info let me know.

if he is out in the boonies then add hot sauce to your package it adds much needed flavor to the mre's lol baby wipes for the well ya know .. socks, tobacco , the smallest items we take for granted here are greatly missed there