• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sept 6 Guardian Long Range Competition - Wytheville, VA

9/6 guardian scores

Name State Caliber Total Place
Matthew Gervais VA 6.5 Creedmoor 710 1
Matthew Fisher VA 6.5 Creedmoor 690 2
Matt Radolec MD 6.5 Creedmoor 680 3*
Jim Gilliand GA 6XC 680 3
Rhett Walters VA .243 Win. 680 3
Shawn BurkholderVA 6.5x 47 Lapua 660 6
Jeff Raymond OH 6.5-06 A-Square 640 7
Cory Harrison VA 6.5 Creedmoor 630 8
Josh Bowers VA .308 Win. 630 8
Jon Lester VA .243 Win. 610 10*
Kevin Grubb NC 6.5x 47 Lapua 610 10
Mike Walpole OH 6.5 Creedmoor 610 10
Kyle Lee NC 7WSM 595 13
Sydnei Tatum VA 6.5 Creedmoor 590 14
Ken Stevens NC 6.5 Creedmoor 540 15
Jonathan RobertsDE .308 Win. 530 16
Steven Hartman VA .260 Rem. 515 17
Melvin Martin VA .260 Rem. 510 18
Garrett Wymer VA .308 Win. 490 19
Lynn Houck KY .243 Win. 455 20
Jacob Petty NC .260 Rem. 450 21
John DeBonis VA .308 Win. 440 22*
Jason Greene KY 6.5 Creedmoor 440 22
Jonathan Elrod NC 6.5x 47 Lapua 430 24*
Brian Wimmer VA .284 Shehane 430 24
Scott Whitehead NC 6.5 Creedmoor 420 26
Bryan Lewis VA 6.5 Creedmoor 410 27*
Brandon Ford GA 7mm STW 410 27
Tim Meadows VA .308 Win. 400 29
Thomas Ward PA 6.5 Creedmoor 380 30
Matthew Fraley OH .284 Win. 370 31
Melissa GilliandGA 6.5 Creedmoor 350 32
Travis France TN 300 WSM 335 33
Mark DaughtridgeNC 300 Win. Mag. 325 34
Bill Pruitt MD .308 Win. 320 35
Brandon Mullins VA .260 Rem. 310 36
Jeff Welch VA 6.5x284 Norma M 300 37
Matthew Dover SC .308 Win. 290 38
Bryan Hupman VA 6.5x 47 Lapua 280 39
Marcus Quales NC .308 Win. 260 40
Paul Wilkerson DE .308 Win. 235 41
Jesse W. TroxlerNC 7mm Mag. 180 42

*Indicates a winner by tiebreaker.

Thanks to Gary, Dan, landowner, ROs and sponsors for putting on a great event for a great charity. It is my pleasure to be able to compete in an event with all you good people who were there.

Matt - congrats on the win, you were stupid fast in the shoot off as I knew you would be.

Looking forward to the next one.

Great time Dan and hats off for continually working to improve. We Were talking on the way home and thought about a 100,90,80 theme for #rounds shot with a Bonus point spread for 1 & 2nd place hits,Race for the bonus or bear down and get points. The way it was was sort of brutal, in that Sydnei Missed 1 Target for the entire Match with first round hits on all but 2, and finished 14th. Her trigger pull was first and in her Q&D flight and had it struck home she was second place, It was a miss and went she went to 14th. I missed 3 targets but won my flight and Whipped her soundly :rolleyes: for the match. Gamers in the middle of the pack might Game to get the better chance at a slower flight assuring 100 pts.
720 pts were max for the match, 1/7th or 100 pts were on 1 pull of a trigger?
It shows great Character that you ask for improvements and more that you are willing to Change.

Thanks Jon, for the input. I'll give some thought to the 100, 90, 80 thing... but we'd probably do 100, 80, 60, with the third shooter being given the 20 second/one shot chance to get that 60 points. This stage needs to move pretty fast, as we're cycling 45 shooters through it. The objective in the Q&D stage is to get a very quickly executed shot on a long range target. You of course did that well, and topped your stage. Then the second shooter receives 80 points for getting a hit before the 3rd person on the line does... and the 3rd person can then take a moment and get settled and get a hit for 60 points--if they can do it with one final shot. We believe, considering the theme and the objective, offering the 20 second/one shot option is fair. Several shooters who were 3rd in their particular set were able to get a hit in the 20 second allotted time--and so they held onto most of the points for that stage.

Some shooters who did not score any points in the Q&D stage did expend several shots trying--it's just that none of them hit. The same thing happened to several shooters in the Sniper in the Rocks stage, when they missed all 5 shots at the 10" plate at 680 yards, and got zero points for that stage.

I realize that most shooters will not take a 70 point "play it safe" option. You guys come to shoot--not to simply watch. But if we go forward with the 70 point opt out option, we will give shooters the opportunity to see who they will be shooting against in the Q&D stage before making their decision. That'll make things even more interesting, for sure. :)

Admittedly, watching the Q&D run is super exciting for those of us who are merely watching it all happen--and not having to shoot. :-/ But even the match participants really get into the excitement of this stage. It's very intense, as the videos show.

In the Guardian genre, we are working to cultivate a survivalist theme, where there will be stages that simulate real world situations that could go very wrong if we don't act either quickly enough... or precisely enough... or both.

I do look forward to hearing from others regarding the format. We will likely begin this coming spring's match at 9:00am, so that we'll finish earlier. We have been offered new targets, donated to Guardian so that we won't be borrowing special targets in the future, and shooters in the future can be assured that our range personnel will be considerate and helpful to all shooters present. The Guardian Long Range Rifle Match is a charity match, where 100 percent of proceeds go to help orphaned children find permanent families. We truly appreciate the shooters who turn out and support these events.

Dan

This was the first Guardian match I have shot at. Had a great time and enjoyed meeting everyone. Would like to thank those that put on and worked the match for all their efforts.
Since stage 7 has become a bit of a topic, would like to offer my view/feedback. The 18 inch targets were too big, especially for 900 yards. I felt 12 if not 10 inch should have been used. In a previous post on this thread Dan Newberry comments that this stage was for speed and precision, 12 or 10 inch plates would have contributed to more precision and not made the stage so much of a speed event.

Thanks to all who made this match possible. Really enjoyed getting to come shoot the Virginia terrain. Glad to see that amount that was raised for a good cause. It was awesome to see some familiar faces and have the privilege of meeting new.

Big thanks to all the sponsors who stepped up and donated to this match, there were some very impressive prizes given away! Huge shout out to Hawk Hill Custom for dropping such a beautiful 338 down! Shawn and those guys are true class acts.

Another great match at Bangsteel. Thanks to Dan Newberry and Gary Larson for running a great match for a great cause.

For those who don't know, there were severe curve balls thrown at them during the course of the day - things that could not possibly have been predicted. They handled it like champs.

See you next time!

Scott

WHAT a fantastic day! Weather, wind, heat, all things that came in to play really made for interesting shooting conditions. Although I did not shoot, my 'Sponsoree' did and I was able to attend for a while and talk to some great new people, and people I have known for years including Dan Newberry.
There were indeed some REAL curveballs that came, and with class, grace and flexibility all obstacles were negotiated and to their credit, it was handled much better than I personally could have. With regards to that, it is a real testament to the quality of people that attended the event as well as managed it because instead of allowing a breakdown- it brought everyone a little closer together and really reflected the positive nature of a shooting competition, but also the respect given to a charity match.
My respect and appreciation to ALL who attended with the exception of one!
Steps are being taken to prevent SNAFUS from reoccuring in the future, and I think the next Guardian Match is going to be phenomenal- looking forward to it. Every shooter and organizer deserves a thanks and if you have not been, competitor or not, consider dropping by next time.

That is all :)

WHAT a fantastic day! Weather, wind, heat, all things that came in to play really made for interesting shooting conditions. Although I did not shoot, my 'Sponsoree' did and I was able to attend for a while and talk to some great new people, and people I have known for years including Dan Newberry.
There were indeed some REAL curveballs that came, and with class, grace and flexibility all obstacles were negotiated and to their credit, it was handled much better than I personally could have. With regards to that, it is a real testament to the quality of people that attended the event as well as managed it because instead of allowing a breakdown- it brought everyone a little closer together and really reflected the positive nature of a shooting competition, but also the respect given to a charity match.
My respect and appreciation to ALL who attended with the exception of one!
Steps are being taken to prevent SNAFUS from reoccuring in the future, and I think the next Guardian Match is going to be phenomenal- looking forward to it. Every shooter and organizer deserves a thanks and if you have not been, competitor or not, consider dropping by next time.

That is all :)

This was all very well said. I had a blast, and hopefully soon I'll get my data nailed down a little better and be a little more comfortable behind the new stick. Either way, it was a great day overall, for an ever greater cause.

Only thing I wish is that we'd have just waited the rain out for everyone, because I feel like the couple shooters at each stage that ended up shooting in a torrential downpour were at a disadvantage. However, I do realize, "This ain't golf". :)

I also know there were some shooters that never got to try the Bullseye Challenge, but I'm sure that was due to being short on ROs, so oh well.

Again, all is all, AWESOME DAY with an AWESOME GROUP!

Thanks again to everyone that made it happen!

Thanks for the feedback... keep it coming, either here, or in PM's or emails (most of the comments are coming through emails, which is fine).

On the Bullseye Challenge... next match, we'll place the "KNOW YOUR LIMITS" Bullseye Challenge in between stations 1 and 2, so it will be central to all who are shooting. We don't anticipate needing to move the Bullseye Challenge stage in the upcoming spring match, as happened in the match last Saturday.

The "opt out" point default for the Quick and the Dead stage is likely going to be 60 points, rather than 70. Most folks surveyed so far have said 70 points is too much. So at 60 points, which is the same as the 3rd shooter in the stage would get if they were outshot by the first two shooters, but still made the 20 second / one shot hit--the shooter can still guarantee themselves 60 points for the stage. This should work.

Most folks are in favor of keeping the Q&D stage, it's overwhelming at this point... so we don't want to rock that boat--but we do want to make an equitable way out of participating if a shooter would rather not enter that fray. We will give them the option of opting out at any point before the "go" command is given on their particular Q&D stage.

We have some new arrangements in the works which we're very excited about, and we anticipate that the relationship we're working on will net us plenty of qualified r/o help in the future.

So stay tuned... :)

Dan

Last edited:
Because the roster for the Guardian Long Range Competition filled up in 3 days last time, we want to give you an opportunity to get notified in advance of the general public. Simply provide your info using this link here. When the dates are announced, we will immediately let you know that registration has been opened to the public. Of course, this doesn't guarantee your roster spot, but does ensure you will know before 99% of the interested shooters.

(If you have previously registered for the Guardian, it's not necessary, as you are already on our contact list.)

Notify Me First!!