• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Setting up LBE

wettjp04

Private
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2006
Wisconsin
Hey all,
I'm in the process of setting up an LBE/LBV type configuration for use with my AR and looking to use it on some rifle classes/competitions mainly for hauling ammo and H20. My main question is this: with many of the new pouches being MOLLE attachment, I already have an old GI issue pistol belt that I would want to use with my LBE, this way I could save some $$$ and use what I already have, but I'm wondering if the new pouches might hang too low on a pistol belt that they would not be as effective as if they were mounted mid-stomach like on many LBV configurations.

Do any of you have configurations with MOLLE attachments on just an old ALICE type pistol belt? If so, how does it ride? I'm just trying to avoid spending some extra money for the time being so I'm digging through what I already have.

Keep in mind this is only for range time and classes...my life is no where near on the line. THANKS!!! Any pics might help...

Re: Setting up LBE

Ok,so what you have is a pistol belt with those "twist-to-lock" metal wire buckles right?
And 2 rows of holes around the belt for steel hooks to go into, for hanging your bayonet,cantine,gas mask and all the other crap we used to haul around..

Now, the new MOLLE mag pouches all have some sort of straps on the backside that you push vertically into the horizontal straps sewn on the MOLLE carrier.
These can also be used as belt loops, that you can run your belt through, usually it should be possible to choose between running the belt in the high row or the low row (high or low on the back of the pouches).
I would recommend high, as the pouches would hang down giving them a lower center of gravity, aiding in keeping them vertical and your stuff inside...
The snap fasteners that usually lock those vertical molle straps in place are not designed to take any pull either, so running the straps inside the belt, through the horizontal bands sewn on the back of the pouches and then snapping the fasteners in place ensures they will stay.
I run regular single or triple mag shingles and pistol mag shingles on a regular pistol belt frequently so that will be no problem.

If you want to set this up as a regular LBE, I take it you have or can get the "suspenders" to go with the belt, kit it up as you like, hook up the "suspenders" and adjust them to your preferred length and go for it.

The only thing you may want to consider is to lock your front pouches to the belt with small buckles, pieces of steel wire, tape or whatever so they dont slide out and fall off when you open the belt buckle, as the ends will hang down if you leave it loose hanging by the "suspenders".
(That is what we used to do for a little relief when pulling over for breaks when we were out and about,gear stays on body...always...)
The original pouches for these setups had the metal hooks so they would not slide around on the belt...

As for pouch placement I would try one triple mag shingle as far back/to the side on either side as you feel comfortable, as without the weight of stuff in the back it can get a little unbalanced.
A canteen on the back either side would cure that, or one canteen and an extra mag shingle on the opposite side.

John - out

Thanks John,

Yes I have the belt with the two holes going all the way around for attachment points for the Y-Suspenders that I am getting. I'm glad to hear that it is not a problem in attaching the MOLLE system to the belt and I appreciate the personal experience with attaching them high so the center of gravity doesn't cause them to hang forward off of the belt.

Youre most welcome
smile.gif

If you are shopping in person, in a surplus store or something, look at the pouches and verify that you will be able to do what I describe above, as they may vary a bit, all of mine worked fine, got some Woodoo,TT,5.11s.
With many mags you may have to tighten up the belt somewhat.
I used to carry my LBE belt just a bit above the regular trouser belt so I could lean forward, kneel etc without the stuff blocking the "joint" at the hip.
Basically just high enough to take a leak with gear on
grin.gif

I'd consider getting one of the vests if you can. MUCH more comfortable. The newer the better. I have progressed through everything since the good ole LBE and like a well setup vest for comfort. I bet you could find one with all of them floating around these days... I have quite a few variations myself as I am still cashing checks from our great uncle...

It is sounding more like a vest is the way to go... I was thinking that, but wanted to try to persue a less expensive option since I already have some of the equipment... Though from what John mentioned earlier it is possible to do with the LBE setup so I guess it's just going to be a matter of how much it is worth to me... Thanks for your help.