• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes setting up s&b 5-25x56mm turrets correctly

timelinex

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2011
    Scottsdale,Az
    I just bought and received a s&b with the standard double turrets (DT) and p4f reticle. I haven't mounted it yet, but I have read the manual, played around with it, and something funny is going on.

First of all, I read that the little windows above the turrets are supposed to turn yellow on their second turn, but I can turn a full 30 mils from bottom and nothing ever changes color.

Second of all, when I'm at the top quarter or bottom quarter of the elevation range, I see shadowing on the bottom or top.

Is something broken or setup wrong with my elevation knob?

If you can run your turret through the full 26mils of travel (useable travel) and the 2nd rev indicator doesnt turn yellow as you reach 13mils or so then something may be buggered with the indicator.

As for the shadowing this is normal on the 5-25's when you are at the extremeties (in both upper & lower) of the turret travel. I noticed this as well and confirmed that all three of my 5-25's do the same thing. At "0" mil your scope will show slight shading at the top of the image and at "26" you will see slight shading at the bottom. This is more noticeable indoors and is virtually undetectable out in brighter conditions. Normal and nothing to worry about.

It could be that the elevation turret is too high and missing the DT activator. The turret has to be pushed all the way down. Loosen the 2 screws on the turret push it down all the way then tighten them again.

Let us know what happened.

It could be that the elevation turret is too high and missing the DT activator. The turret has to be pushed all the way down. Loosen the 2 screws on the turret push it down all the way then tighten them again.

Let us know what happened.
    Right on steve!

It came with the turret basically halfway off I guess. You could have fooled me. With it all the way down, its so much harder to tell where the arrow is pointing (and it was already hard to tell, considering how close the lines are).

One more question. It seems like when I put it all the way down, it goes as low as -0.5 and as high as 25.5 which is the 'advertised' elevation range.

However when I put the turrets up just enough for it not to engage the yellow mechanism, I have a good 35 mil's from start to finish. The reticle is definitely still moving, so the mechanism is working.

After further examination of the mechanism, it all makes sense. The way their 'zero stop' and yellow indicator works is just a rudimentary circular slider piece. It's very basic, which I'm sure is good for reliability, but there is the major downfall that it is physically limited to literally two turns, so regardless of actual internal elevation, it can only give 26mil's no matter what.

As long as I can live without the yellow indicator and ZS, is there any downfall to keeping the turrets a little raised and taking advantage of the extra elevation??

Last edited:
    Why would you try to operate the scope in a manner in which it was not designed to perform? Do you really require more than 26mils elev.? Use the reticle for holds after 26mils.