• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SH Punishes Cerakote** Video

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    <span style="font-weight: bold">Punishing a Rifle coated with Cerakote </span>

Recently Sniper' Hide was contacted by NIC Industries in regards to their Cerakote Process for Firearms . The wanted to know if we were interested in putting one of our rifles through the paces after it had been coated with Cerakote. As luck would have it, we had something available for them, several things in fact.

<span style="font-weight: bold">From the Cerakote website:</span>

CerakoteTM Firearm Coatings can be applied using a simple HVLP gun or an automated electrostatic system for OEM scale applications. Single or multiple coats may be used to achieve unlimited finishes and designs. Additionally, private label and exclusive color agreements are available.

The unique formulation used for CerakoteTM Firearm Coatings enhances a number of physical performance properties. Each of these properties is rigorously tested to guarantee that CerakoteTM products remain at the forefront of the firearm coatings market. To prove CerakoteTM is the leading firearm coating, NIC hired an independent military testing facility to perform a blind side by side comparison between CerakoteTM, KG Gun-Kote (listed as competitor 1) and DuraCoat Firearm Finish (listed as competitor 2). In every test CerakoteTM out performed both competitors products. All tests were performed in accordance to the ASTM test listed in the photo. The complete test report is available for review by contacting our CerakoteTM Customer Service department.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Sniper's Hide Weapons Coated </span>

So right away I sent Ken over at Cerakote / NIC Industries my Jardine 1911 and my GAP Barreled action along with a Manners T5 stock that Tom Manners asked me to abuse a bit. I thought this a perfect opportunity to not only abuse this stock, but only to see how it holds up with a Cerakote finish.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Cerakote Coating Process Video </span>

<object id="objVeeplePlayer" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0" width="640" height="396" align="middle"><param name="width" value="640"/><param name="height" value="396"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="movie" value="http://www.veeple.com/swf/VeeplePlayer.swf?siteId=5GLGxNj8HEg%253D&videoId=a203781d-a869-42bf-9696-5294a949121b&userId=&baseUrl=http://www.veeple.com/&showSpots=1&showViewBar=1&showTabBar=1&mute=0&spotScaleMode=maintainAspectRatio&autoPlay=0&allowAddComments=0&allowShare=1&allowEmbedding=1&allowFullscreen=1&allowRating=1&stopPlayingOnInteractiveClick=1&displayRelatedVideos=0&showWorm=0&showLogo=0&logoIcon=1&whiteLabel=1&showTabClickableObjects=1&showTabDetails=0&showTabComments=1&playerMode=player&playerWidth=640&playerHeight=396&isFlex=0&recordEvents=1&deploymentUrl=http://www.snipershide.com%20"/><param name="quality" value="high"/><param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff"/><param name="menu" value="false"/><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><embed id="embVeeplePlayer" src="http://www.veeple.com/swf/VeeplePlayer.swf?siteId=5GLGxNj8HEg%253D&videoId=a203781d-a869-42bf-9696-5294a949121b&userId=&baseUrl=http://www.veeple.com/&showSpots=1&showViewBar=1&showTabBar=1&mute=0&spotScaleMode=maintainAspectRatio&autoPlay=0&allowAddComments=0&allowShare=1&allowEmbedding=1&allowFullscreen=1&allowRating=1&stopPlayingOnInteractiveClick=1&displayRelatedVideos=0&showWorm=0&showLogo=0&logoIcon=1&whiteLabel=1&showTabClickableObjects=1&showTabDetails=0&showTabComments=1&playerMode=player&playerWidth=640&playerHeight=396&isFlex=0&recordEvents=1&deploymentUrl=http://www.snipershide.com%20" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="640" height="396" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="always" menu="false" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"><noembed><h1>Nic Industries </h1>

GAP, 1911, Cerakote, NIC, Firearms, Paint, Lowlight</p>Veeple Interactive Video</noembed></embed></object>

<span style="font-weight: bold">In My Hands</span> -- <span style="font-style: italic">Or how I can screw shit up in 30 seconds or less.</span>

Once the rifle and handgun were returned the idea was to coat the rifle with simple Krylon then to strip it down demonstrating the durability of the Cerakote process. How it can hold up to not only the Krylon but the stripping process to help protect your rifle's finish underneath.

I chose some basic colors, the Flat Dark Earth for the stock and the OD for the barreled action, why because they are great foundations for any location. For a tactical rifle the ability to change the color to match the surrounds is a huge plus. Some of us go over the top with Gucci coatings, camouflaging our rifles in a way that makes it more a show piece than a functioning tactical rifle. So here with the Cerakote process you can do both. Either give it that show piece finish or simply base coat enabling you to Krylon at will over the base coat to match your surrounds. That is key point to the beginning of the video and really I could have stopped there, but come on, what fun would that be.

<object id="objVeeplePlayer" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0" width="640" height="396" align="middle"><param name="width" value="640"/><param name="height" value="396"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="movie" value="http://www.veeple.com/swf/VeeplePlayer.swf?siteId=5GLGxNj8HEg%253D&videoId=666c0f3f-c975-4e01-946f-a7c8d242f439&userId=&baseUrl=http://www.veeple.com/&showSpots=1&showViewBar=1&showTabBar=1&mute=0&spotScaleMode=maintainAspectRatio&autoPlay=0&allowAddComments=0&allowShare=1&allowEmbedding=1&allowFullscreen=1&allowRating=1&stopPlayingOnInteractiveClick=1&displayRelatedVideos=0&showWorm=0&showLogo=0&logoIcon=1&whiteLabel=1&showTabClickableObjects=1&showTabDetails=0&showTabComments=1&playerMode=player&playerWidth=640&playerHeight=396&isFlex=0&recordEvents=1&deploymentUrl=http://www.snipershide.com%20"/><param name="quality" value="high"/><param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff"/><param name="menu" value="false"/><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><embed id="embVeeplePlayer" src="http://www.veeple.com/swf/VeeplePlayer.swf?siteId=5GLGxNj8HEg%253D&videoId=666c0f3f-c975-4e01-946f-a7c8d242f439&userId=&baseUrl=http://www.veeple.com/&showSpots=1&showViewBar=1&showTabBar=1&mute=0&spotScaleMode=maintainAspectRatio&autoPlay=0&allowAddComments=0&allowShare=1&allowEmbedding=1&allowFullscreen=1&allowRating=1&stopPlayingOnInteractiveClick=1&displayRelatedVideos=0&showWorm=0&showLogo=0&logoIcon=1&whiteLabel=1&showTabClickableObjects=1&showTabDetails=0&showTabComments=1&playerMode=player&playerWidth=640&playerHeight=396&isFlex=0&recordEvents=1&deploymentUrl=http://www.snipershide.com%20" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="640" height="396" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="always" menu="false" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"><noembed><h1>Sniper&apos;s Hide Cerakote Review </h1>

GAP, Cerakote, Firearms, Tactical, Bushnell, Tannerite, Sniper&apos;s Hide, Lowlight </p>Veeple Interactive Video</noembed></embed></object>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Conclusions </span>

From start to finish the process was great. Ken @nicindustries maintained great communication, the work they did was outstanding. The 1911 with its new Sniper Grey look is night and day different and just outstanding looking. No more does it have that stock Springfield finish, the Cerakote finish is deep and rich, as well, protected.

The rifle withstood everything, and then some. I bungee corded it to the back of the 4 wheeler and drove it easily 650 yards over the ranch, bumping and banging it against the aluminum rack on the vehicle, I just laid in the steel basket on the front and drove it some more, blew it up, smacked it against the barricades. The finished barely scratched in most cases. Sure the stock was a bit sand blasted by the tannerite, but it was only 9 inches from the stock. Really it all held up great, and you know you'll never abuse your stuff to this degree.

I can serious appreciate the Cerakote durability, the choice in colors and how it can protect my weapons. For me, it's top notch quality and dependability.

Visit the NIC Industries website and read about the Cerakote difference:

http://www.nicindustries.com/cerakote.php

The go over to the virtual gun coater and see what it will look like:

http://www.nicindustries.com/guncoater.php

Punishment was an understatement in this case, I honestly tried to break it, over and over again, and the whole thing just laughed at me.

Re: SH Punishes Cerakote** Video

I thought I was going to witness LL in leather with whips and stuff. Thank goodness it was a legit review...Good video.

Josh

I have a video on the Bushnell, separate review.

Shooting glasses, probably where they belong on the ground next to me, I can't see with sunglasses on.
    smile.gif
    Besides, the bullet goes forward, and I was shooting paper.
    wink.gif

Frank,

What are your thoughts on the stock? How similar in feel is it to say the AICS? I actually just saw it on Manners' site for the first time the other day and it looks promising.

Awesome stuff Frank.

I think this post if viewed by enough is evidence enough to push most users towards cerakote. It certainly raises my faith in the product.

Cerakote is good stuff but I do see wear on the receiver after 700 rounds where the shell hits the receiver upon ejection.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inode</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cerakote is good stuff but I do see wear on the receiver after 700 rounds where the shell hits the receiver upon ejection. </div></div>

Good point. And this brings to mind that there are better ways to test a coating or finish than by shooting it or throwing it around. While gimmicky, commercial and entertaining it's just not a practical or realistic demonstration of how the product stands up for the average joe shooter.

I think a better test would would have been over a period of time (say 6 months and 1000 rounds) showing how the finish stands up to wear. Instead of just breaking that rifle it could have been used as a "demo" down there at rifles only for customers to use, then shown how it was after "X" amount of time and rounds through it. Perhaps that would have been a bit more constructive and realistic?

I did however like how the video showed how cerakote can make a firearm more versatile by using it as a base coat with krylon on top. Then coming off cleanly with brake cleaner leaving no wear.

With that said I'm going to have a new rifle cerakoted. I've done duracoat and been happy so I figure I'd give this a try too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inode</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cerakote is good stuff but I do see wear on the receiver after 700 rounds where the shell hits the receiver upon ejection.</div></div>

It's easy enough to compare that wear to another process. The rifle before the Cerakote had bare metal showing in places. It was the standard black Teflon GAP used in the past. Many instances of wear can be seen on a host of weapons.

As stated the main point was the Krylon on and off with simple Carb Cleaner. Its a given log term wear takes a long time to demonstrate. Anyone who wants to use or see the rifle, it's at RO and available. Because showing non-Cerakoted wear I can do all day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a close up of the rifle after the Tannerite

gaplaser.jpg
    </div></div>

Frank,
    Are the litle holes into the stock itself, or just nicks in the paint? Also, on the trigger guard are those dents in the metal? Obviously the rifle is still functional, and none of us would ever purposely do that to out rifles. It is nice to see though that the Cerakote stands up to the little slips and falls and bangs from getting into and out of shooting positions using realistic props/ barricades.

Jack

The smaller holes are like it was sand blasted they are chips. The big hole is a chunk out of the stock. They are sort of in both the stock and coating.

The metal was damaged as well, a chip taken out.

The AICS was also blown apart but worked putting it together, although I broke it slamming the rifle against the barricades.

The barreled action remains untouched and looks new. Just dirty.

Just sent mine out to be cerakoated! Glad to see its going to stand up to abuse like that, not that mine will ever see anything close to that.

The cerakote jobs we have done for customers remain one of our biggest sellers. I get a lot of referral business due to the longevity and performance of the cerakote product. We have tried all the other products and no longer use anything but cerakote because it simply out performs all the others.

If interested I am happy to answer any questions anyone might have on the product that have not been covered in this thread.

Great test and review Frank.
    I've had great results with all my personal AICS cerakoted panels. I run them hard with 1-2 comps a month and 3-4 big comps a year. Thanks for the link post up.

It's nice there are a bunch of vendors here who offer this, which is always a plus for the members.

As I said, the rifle is coated and not going anywhere so long terms wear and tear can be see and discussed, I mean everything will wear with enough use, the question is how much among the different coatings available.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottishtornado</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Frank what flew off the rifle at the end of the video when you threw it against the post?</div></div>

The magazine, I ended up bending it and the bottom plate would no longer stay on.

I slammed it about 4x give or take.

This is perfect timing. I have a couple of 1911's that I am going to refinish and was undecided between KG-Gunkote and Cerakote.
    Great test and great write up.

Very nice, that is some impressive resilience. It will put it a shoe in next time something of mine needs coating.

Nice review I've heard a lot about the durability of cerakote. I didn't see that small bottle of tannerite the first time around and thought you filled that big black barrel it. I was like "Holy shit this guy isn't playing around".

Any chance you guys will do a review of ion bonding as well?

Im not familiar with the stock used in this experiment, but I have a fiberglass McMillan stock can cerakote be applied to it?
    if so, whats the price range for a single color?

I'm impressed. No holds barred, that was one heckuva torture test.

BTW, Frank; remind me never to let you near any of my range queens.

Cheeeezzz...

Greg,

Never worry I would not hurt any of your rifles -- much, besides wipe them off and they are good as new.

Others,

I will post the scope tests in a separate video, but suffice to say, it works, and still works, but it didn't hold zero, and in the case of the Tannerite took about 10 rounds to get its wits back -- but then worked fine after. Best case, it was about an inch off after one of the impacts.

You can indeed have the Cerakote applied to your McM, if you're in southern CA hit up HateCA, he does it, as I'm sure there are others in the state as well. As far as price, each individual will charge differently but from looking around at different smith's sites and the like, plan on spending at least $150.

A man that knows what his equipment will take. And enjoys finding out what it won't
    smile.gif
    Great job with the video review, thanks LL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whoMe?</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im not familiar with the stock used in this experiment, but I have a fiberglass McMillan stock can cerakote be applied to it?
    if so, whats the price range for a single color? </div></div>

Whome,
    Todd Powers does a GREAT job with Cerakote. Here is his info.
    www.phantomfinishing.com
    [email protected]

Did he protect the crown or inner receiver with anything before blasting? Do you not need to plug/protect the crown?

We've always plugged/protected the crown and chamber. Is it not needed?

You're asking me questions beyond my pay grade, I was not there, I did not see them do it... the video of them coating the rifle and pistol were supplied by NIC.

I would email them and ask, doesn't appear they did, and I can say I saw no ill effects downrange the rifle was accurate and consistent as far as I could see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Booty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Crown was masked and the barrel was plugged with high temp rubber plugs. </div></div>

Kool. Thats what we use(rubber plugs). I just didnt see anything in the vid.

Not questioning the guys at NIC. I need to go take a class from them eventually.

I have been using the Graphite Black oven cure Cerakote on MP5 refinishes and bolt action rifles with excellent results. I just wish they had a deeper, richer black. Brandon at NIC has told me that their chemist is working on one. I plan to bring him a sample of what I want to the SHOT show in January.

Darin Reiss
    FFL/SOT in Haysville, KS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddief</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can do webbing just like on a HS stock with cerakote also.

</div></div>

Eddie,
    How are you doing the webbing?
    Did you know you can send pictures to NIC (Cerakote) and they will put your pictures on there web site and put your company name under the picture so people know who did that firearm? You can get a lot of business that way.

Brandon,

I'm not going to let out how I'm doing the webbing yet, but in time I will. I will say that I am doing with with a HVLP gun.

I know I need to send some pics to NIC, I've just neglected doing so.

I'll get some pics to you guys today, pm me back with what you think. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddief</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brandon,

I'm not going to let out how I'm doing the webbing yet, but in time I will. I will say that I am doing with with a HVLP gun.

I know I need to send some pics to NIC, I've just neglected doing so.

I'll get some pics to you guys today, pm me back with what you think. Thanks

</div></div>

Will do. Thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoredEngineer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice review I've heard a lot about the durability of cerakote. I didn't see that small bottle of tannerite the first time around and thought you filled that big black barrel it. I was like "Holy shit this guy isn't playing around".

Any chance you guys will do a review of ion bonding as well? </div></div>

I don't have any videos, but I can tell you from experience that ionbond is great for bolts. I literally dulled my benchmade knife on my bolt that I had ionbonded. Their black diamond only comes in black. Doing ionbond on the bolt and cerakote in the color of choice on the rest makes for an awesome combination.