• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shameless Plug Time -- Masters of Mayhem!

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
My buddy Jim Stejskal (author of Berlin Special Forces) has a new book coming out... and this one should be of great interest to us 'Vintage' folks, as it centers around WW1 and the team of early SOF-types who waged the Hejaz campaign in WW1. Jim does a masterful job of showing how the British mission to the Hejaz is right out of modern Special Forces practice... and their methods are right out of a Robin Sage exercise... Brilliant book. I am mostly through the galley copy and it will be available and shipping in about 8 weeks.

He has an accompanying lecture... and when I get some dates and locations I will post. I know he'll be in London in Sept. More on that shortly.

Book available for pre-order now.

https://www.amazon.com/Masters-Mayh...82&sr=8-1&keywords=masters+of+mayhem+stejskal

Cheers,

Sirhr

P.S. In an even more shameless plug, one of the Appendices in the book is an article I co-wrote with Jim. No, I don't get royalties!

... too bad a lot of writes still don't offer their stuff in Kindle format

That's generally the publisher's decision... not the author.

And there has to be enough demand in print edition... to sell a Kindle version!

But... I'll bring it up with the author. Over beers!

Cheers,

Sirhr
Aaaand...don't you go fergettin' to tip one up for me. :p:devilish::cool:

T.E. Lawrence was amazing in what he accomplished militarily. The problem is no one back in HQ or England understood the political change after he had accomplished what he had accomplished.

That's generally the publisher's decision... not the author.
And there has to be enough demand in print edition... to sell a Kindle version!
But... I'll bring it up with the author. Over beers!
Sirhr

Is your friend publishing it himself on Amazon, or working with a 3rd party publisher who is then selling the book on Amazon?

Several of my family members have books they have published on Amazon and nothing really special is needed to do a Kindle version & it's not really dependent on anything else, pretty much just upload the file properly formatted, and done.

You can also offer specials such as buy the book, get the kindle version for a super low price.

I can't really put into words what books like this mean! When Berlin Special Forces came out, I seriously about lost it because I couldn't believe all of that info was finally out in the open.

As someone who was directly involved with what was going on (I was in Germany from 86-88), but could never talk about any of it, it was a huge relief on many different fronts. I had wanted to talk about so many things that had happened during that time frame, but I was always afraid that I would hung for treason, or no one would honestly believe me!

I believe that there are some HUGE lessons that can be learned from these historical looks. As Jim Stejskal points out over & over, so many people in the military and defense agencies have little to no understanding of "their history", and how their perspective units or agencies have gotten to where they are at. As he also points out, for that very reason "the wheel has been needlessly reinvented" so many times.

While I can appreciate the need for secrecy in many cases, I can't even begin to fathom the amount of "institutional knowledge" that goes unused or is lost because of the restrictions that exist under the guise of maintaining operational security.

For example, given this is Snipers Hide, how many times has the “Sniper Skillset” been recreated/reinvented within all of the various Military Branches and Defense Agencies? How many times has one school had a key asset (info, technology, etc.) that could have benefited another school, but it was never shared, or it was lost over time? Going back to my time in Germany, I was being taught precision shooting by “Snipers” from other “agencies”, however because of “security concerns” I had no idea who they were or where their information was coming from? Knowing what I do now, those individuals were from Det A, Delta, the Alphabet Agencies, or other Foreign SOF units. While I gained some information from that training, everything was so “compartmentalized” for the sake of security that I was never able to establish any kind of a network that allowed that knowledge to develop and grow. I am sure that I was struggling to improve my skillset, that there were others will information that could have easily expedited that process, but we were never allowed to interact.

As the saying goes “if you want to learn something new, just read an old book”. Thanks to the efforts of people like Jim Stejskal, more of those books are being written.

Through how many wars in the past have US forces had to rely on horses for transportation into battle? Yet when we had to put SF troops on horseback in Afghanistan, how many of them had any type of training related to the use of horses in combat? Did DOD need to come up with anything new to make that happen or could they have just found what they needed already written in a book from many years ago!

Sirhrmechanic, please tell your friend many thanks for his hard work to put together and share everything that he has. I am sure that because of his efforts that many people will benefit both personally and professionally from it. I for sure have been able to exercise some old demons!

As the saying goes “if you want to learn something new, just read an old book”. Thanks to the efforts of people like Jim Stejskal, more of those books are being written.

That is such a true statement & the more you read old books the more it becomes glaringly obvious.

Even with "Modern" things such as "Autonomous driving", "AI" and "Gender Identity", "Machine Learning", "Life extension" etc, if you go back and read the old books that some of the writers in the 50's to 70's wrote, you'll find all the same things people go on about today, already discussed with the effects, benefits & dangers discussed.

Through how many wars in the past have US forces had to rely on horses for transportation into battle? Yet when we had to put SF troops on horseback in Afghanistan, how many of them had any type of training related to the use of horses in combat? Did DOD need to come up with anything new to make that happen or could they have just found what they needed already written in a book from many years ago!

You would be amazed at how much "trusted" A-teams got to go and do. While it wasn't commonplace, I knew packers out in Nevada that used to take 'groups' of guys out to learn about packing. Most times the packers I knew thought they were on leave or out of the Army. I just smiled, looked and the ground and said to myself,"Yeah, I bet..."

I like you had to live with the compartmentalism. I had no idea how much was going on in Honduras when I was down there in '84. I can only imagine what was going on in the dark in Germany when I went there in '83 and '85. Especially Berlin.

Reactions: McCrazy
Is your friend publishing it himself on Amazon, or working with a 3rd party publisher who is then selling the book on Amazon?

Several of my family members have books they have published on Amazon and nothing really special is needed to do a Kindle version & it's not really dependent on anything else, pretty much just upload the file properly formatted, and done.

You can also offer specials such as buy the book, get the kindle version for a super low price.

His publisher is Casemate out of UK. And Berlin Special Forces is supposedly their best-selling book ever!

His first book, the Horns of the Beast about the WW1 campaign in Southwest Africa (now Namibia) is also a good read. Very small slice of a very big war, but a great little book nontheless!

Cheers,

Sirhr

P.S. LRS: Took him almost two years to get through the security review on the book. But he did it 'right' and it was reviewed and approved at the highest levels. A lot of the true "COIN" skills are being re-learned and re-sought now. The wars in Afghan and Iraq have turned a lot of Special Forces into door-kickers and assaulters. And now the pendulum is swinging back to true SF mission skills and re-learning Robin Sage kinds of skills, etc. Some of the 'experienced' people are, indeed, being called back to teach and lecture! I was just at Campbell a few weeks ago with some buddies and the same trend is going on there. I will pass your comments on to Jim gladly!

Reactions: TACC and McCrazy
They didn't have the new book on the shelf at B&N yesterday but I haven't seen a hardback of one there before. Having been stationed on Berlin in '91, I am hoping this brings back some good memories. Some of the pics are already familiar.

20180701_091657.jpg

By "we," who are you referring? The US was not (directly?) involved in the middle eastern campaigns of wwi...

By "we," who are you referring? The US was not (directly?) involved in the middle eastern campaigns of wwi...

Im referring to "our allies" the British and the French.

His publisher is Casemate out of UK. And Berlin Special Forces is supposedly their best-selling book ever!

His first book, the Horns of the Beast about the WW1 campaign in Southwest Africa (now Namibia) is also a good read. Very small slice of a very big war, but a great little book nontheless!

Cheers,

Sirhr

P.S. LRS: Took him almost two years to get through the security review on the book. But he did it 'right' and it was reviewed and approved at the highest levels. A lot of the true "COIN" skills are being re-learned and re-sought now. The wars in Afghan and Iraq have turned a lot of Special Forces into door-kickers and assaulters. And now the pendulum is swinging back to true SF mission skills and re-learning Robin Sage kinds of skills, etc. Some of the 'experienced' people are, indeed, being called back to teach and lecture! I was just at Campbell a few weeks ago with some buddies and the same trend is going on there. I will pass your comments on to Jim gladly!

Horns of the Beast ordered...

Yes they were! Read Kermit Roosevelt's book "Armoured Cars in Eden." U.S. troops were very much present...in learning and advisory capacities. No 'big boots' on the ground. But U.S. was 100 percent there!

Cheers,

Sirhr

As for Sykes Picot... it never came to pass.

The French were basically kicked out after the war. And it was Churchill and Lawrence who did the divisions that created the current map. Churchill was the foreign minister c. 1921-22 and Lawrence came in and helped with the borders and the maps.

They could have done a better job... In fact, IMHO, they did a terrible job. But they were not thinking along tribal lines. They were thinking along the lines of Ibn Saud and Feisal and other minor potentates who all wanted their pieces of the pie. The ME was divided up, largely, along the lines of pleasing the tribal leaders with land (mostly). With no regard for religious or tribal boundaries that had traditionally existed. Feisal, for example, had not tradition in Iraq. But it was a nice piece of land for him to occupy.... so he became king.

And, just for the record, the Arabs were happy with 'what they got' after the war. The people... well, nobody gave a crap until oil was found. Followed by a 1960's Arab Identity movement... where everyone wanted to be from some tribe or other and have a homeland.

IMHO, the British could have done everything 100 percent differently and the place would still be a sh**hole.

And in the words of one of my hero's, General Sir Peter de la Billiere... "If Kuwait grew carrots, we wouldn't give a damn."

But don't just blame the Brits and French. It was, as with anything in the M.E. A lot more complicated than that.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: sandwarrior