• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Shameless Plug for Special Forces Det-A Berlin Book

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
My friend Jim's book is now shipping... and they just ordered a second printing just a couple of weeks after it went on sale. Apparently it's going great on Amazon!

A couple of weeks ago, he did a national radio show about the Detachment and some of their activities.

And this just appeared in the Daily Mail, which is a great plug!

You can order on Amazon and for any of you guys who want to get copies signed... PM me when you get your book. Jim and I will be hanging out in early April, and he can sign copies if you guys want to get them to me. I had a list on the old 'Hide, but I have no idea where I put it.

There is also a thread on the old 'Hide with a magazine article and a ton of photos that Tucker helped me convert to a postable format. I'll see if I can find the link.

Couple of plugs from me after finishing reading the final version a couple of days ago.... this is all new stuff about a unit that few people ever knew existed. Before there was a Delta... Det A Berlin was doing much of the same stuff. In fact, they had the CT mission for Europe while Delta was still forming. They were involved in Eagle Claw (Iran Hostage rescue attempt) as part of a second mission to rescue Americans at the Chancery building. And that history is revealed for the first time here... as it was Det A guys who accompanied Dick Meadows on the ground side of the mission into Tehran to scope the place out, buy trucks and cars, secure warehouses, take pictures and then... go back and meet the rescue teams that did not get past Desert One. Last, if you have ever heard the 'rumors' of the SADM's (Special Atomic Demolition Munitions -- Backpack Nukes) and wanted to know how all that came about... it's in here. De-classified properly and for the first time. Neat, neat reading!

If you liked Haney's book Inside Delta Force, you will really enjoy this. Though it's not 'first person' at all. Jim, in fact, never mentions himself in the book. It's all about a unit history dating back to the 1950's. And on that point, I learned more about early post-war Berlin from this book than I have from everything I've ever read. It's not a topic I have sought out... There is a big gap in my reading between Korean War and intensifying conflict in VN. And this book does an amazing job of talking about the 'other' SF missions that were going on outside of the MACV and Southeast Asia. Unconventional Warfare, Counter-Terror, incursions into East Germany, recon against Soviet and DDR military units and equipment...

Ok... ending my shameless plug with a "Buy the book!" you won't be disappointed. And you'll help out a great friend!

Cheers,

Sirhr

I'll be getting it! One of my mentors was the Command Sergeant Major of the 10th Group at Bad Tolz around 1960-1961. One of the original group of SF veterans from the fifties. He went on to be the CSM of the 5th Grp under Col. Kelly in Vietnam in '66-'67.

For anyone in the DC or NOVA area... Jim is doing a book signing on the 25th:

At the Barnes & Noble in Tyson's Corner Mall, Virginia on Saturday, 25 March 2017 at 12 Noon for a book signing and short talk about his new Book: Special Forces Berlin.

Definitely worth visiting and picking up a copy and getting it signed! Say "Sirhrmechanic" sent you and he'll write something snipery.

And we have a joint article coming out this summer... stay tuned!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Oh and since everything is more fun with pictures... this is an unpublished picture of some Det guys in the late '70s.

Note how stealthy they were and their ability to blend into the German population at a moment's notice!

AAEAAQAAAAAAAArvAAAAJDRmOTNjZjQ5LWE0NWUtNDhmNC04OTBiLTlkZWM2YWZkNzZjYg.jpg

You may be cool... but you will NEVER be Berlin Det-A guys in a big block convertible wearing shorts and cruising around Berlin with a whole pile of automatic weapons cool....

There is a good possibility at one of those guys is Buffalo Winter....

Cheers,

Sirhr

[FONT=georgia, serif]I was never in Berlin Brigade. I did do a lot of work in Europe and with NATO.[/FONT]